Gear: Looking to buy my kites (supermodel, pivot, eleveight rs?) in 12,9,7m
Reedin Dreamstick V2 bar
Manera Eclipse harness M
F-one Trax Carbon 2021 137*42
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

recommandations for a quiver?

Postby vulkhan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:08 pm

Hello it's my first post on the forum :)
I was wondering if anyone can help me with deciding which kites to buy
I'm starting my physiotherapism studies next year and want to invest in a quiver because I fell in love with kitesurfing 6 years ago. I got the chance to take courses 3 years ago end did a session the last summer with quite a lot of wind and really loved it.
I can consistenly do basic transitions and go upwind and I really want to progress during those 4 years of studies.
I'm going to work this summer to buy my quiver of 3 kites but I can't decide which to buy
I have a reedin dreamstick v2 bar so Low V and I'd like a kite with a large margin of progression so I don't need to buy another before I start to work.

My program is currently learning basics but i'd like to do freeride and baby kiteloops (not the XR stuff with slow climbing into the wind window and a huge freefall) aswell as boosting and unhooked (just a bit like handlepasses and stuff) so a pretty all round programm.

Also a good windrange if possible

I looked at the reedin supermodel, looks great on paper but i'm worried about quality because I can only afford the v1 used.
Looked also at the Pivot and seems really cool tho not that much on unhooking but it's okay.
any returns on those and on Ventum's Xcite and Xplore aswell?
thank you a lot :))

PS: Which strap is better between reedin superbinding and naish apex because i'm 41.5 and i fell between 2 sizes for the apex (because i'd like to take the larger one for neoprene socks in winter)

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Re: recommandations for a quiver?

Postby SMJ » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:05 am

For low-V, one of the best starter kites out there is the Cabrinha Switchblade which has a huge wind range and a lot of low-end grunt - which is great for beginning. Include your weight, and we can direct you in quiver sizes.

Never rode the Reedin superbinding, but do own a pair of Naish Apex and they are great straps.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:12 am

Learning to unhook on a Switchblade... There's an idea.

I'll say what I always say to these posts - Get an all rounder. While not great for anything, they can do everything okay. I haven't heard of any particular problems with the Supermodel, so not sure what you've heard?

If you truly want to get into unhooking and commit to it early, look at an Ozone Enduro, Duotone Dice (can ride low V), North Pulse, Cabrinha FX, Naish Dash, etc. Many brands have a crossover kite in their lineups. You can progress on them well enough as they still have freeride DNA, but they unhook a lot better than the normal all rounders. They can be a bit harsh for learning kiteloops, but at least they'll be exhilarating?

I can't comment on the Xcite/Xplore as I don't know the brand well and have never ridden their kites.

Sefiz
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish
Spleene
North
Has thanked: 0

Postby Sefiz » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:25 am

vulkhan wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:08 pm
My program is currently learning basics but i'd like to do freeride and baby kiteloops (not the XR stuff with slow climbing into the wind window and a huge freefall) aswell as boosting and unhooked (just a bit like handlepasses and stuff) so a pretty all round programm.
Check the Spleene SPX Kite. Freestyle-Crossover which will totally serve your needs. Low-V Bar is needed and it comes from Germany, so arround the corner. There is a Gleiten TV Test on it: https://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/acti ... /page/345/
And it is currently on Sale + you get used demokites for a good deal.

vulkhan
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 80 Kg
Local Beach: France :
-Gruissan
-Le Jai
Style: Freeride/beginner
Reedin Dreamstick V2 bar
Manera Eclipse harness M

Postby vulkhan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:57 pm

SMJ wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:05 am
For low-V, one of the best starter kites out there is the Cabrinha Switchblade which has a huge wind range and a lot of low-end grunt - which is great for beginning. Include your weight, and we can direct you in quiver sizes.

Never rode the Reedin superbinding, but do own a pair of Naish Apex and they are great straps.
I will look into the switchblade then thanks :)
i'm currently 80 kg

do you have problems with the naish bindings with neoprene socks?

vulkhan
Rare Poster
-Gruissan
-Le Jai
Reedin Dreamstick V2 bar
Manera Eclipse harness M

Postby vulkhan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:03 pm

Blackened wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:12 am

I'll say what I always say to these posts - Get an all rounder. While not great for anything, they can do everything okay. I haven't heard of any particular problems with the Supermodel, so not sure what you've heard?

If you truly want to get into unhooking and commit to it early, look at an Ozone Enduro, Duotone Dice (can ride low V), North Pulse, Cabrinha FX, Naish Dash, etc. Many brands have a crossover kite in their lineups. You can progress on them well enough as they still have freeride DNA, but they unhook a lot better than the normal all rounders. They can be a bit harsh for learning kiteloops, but at least they'll be exhilarating?

I can't comment on the Xcite/Xplore as I don't know the brand well and have never ridden their kites.
idk I don't know if I can trust a V1 kite although Damien Girardin is a awesome kite designer also is it good for unhooking ?

Do those still have a decent low end ? maybe i can take my biggest size kite specially for unhooking since when the wind is strong I like jumping and kiteloops more :) (never done it but I think won't feel confortable unhooking on a 7 or a 9.
And with that i can take more freeride typed kites for strong wind with good top end and kiteloops abilities let me know !

vulkhan
Rare Poster
-Gruissan
-Le Jai
Reedin Dreamstick V2 bar
Manera Eclipse harness M

Postby vulkhan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:04 pm

Blackened wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:12 am

duotone dice on low V ? doesnt it change the feeling of the kite a lot?

vulkhan
Rare Poster
-Gruissan
-Le Jai
Reedin Dreamstick V2 bar
Manera Eclipse harness M

Postby vulkhan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:10 pm

Sefiz wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:25 am
vulkhan wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:08 pm
Check the Spleene SPX Kite. Freestyle-Crossover which will totally serve your needs. Low-V Bar is needed and it comes from Germany, so arround the corner. There is a Gleiten TV Test on it: https://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/acti ... /page/345/
And it is currently on Sale + you get used demokites for a good deal.
I never heard of those kites how do they compete against bigger brands? also is the build quality good?

do they have good low end?

Would be nice to be able to test them

thank you for the recommandation i'll look into that :D

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:47 pm

vulkhan wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:57 pm

My shoe size is 42,5 and I can use the smaller Apex binding with up to 5mm boots. In Winter with 7mm Boots I have a large version which I put onto my board then. But it really depends on the shape of your feet.

I use Pivots, but I do not unhook. I believe it would be OK for learning basic unhook stuff. Gleiten TV in its test of the current version states that it works quite well in that regard https://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/acti ... /page/345/

vulkhan
Rare Poster
-Gruissan
-Le Jai
Reedin Dreamstick V2 bar
Manera Eclipse harness M

Postby vulkhan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:43 pm

Dirk wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:47 pm
vulkhan wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:57 pm

My shoe size is 42,5 and I can use the smaller Apex binding with up to 5mm boots. In Winter with 7mm Boots I have a large version which I put onto my board then. But it really depends on the shape of your feet.

I use Pivots, but I do not unhook. I believe it would be OK for learning basic unhook stuff. Gleiten TV in its test of the current version states that it works quite well in that regard https://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/acti ... /page/345/
my shoe size is 42 but i have quite large feet so idk but thanks for the return on shoes :)

I think i'd like the pivot it seems so much fun for oldschool and kiteloops ! do you think i's a good idea to go for a 9 and 7 m pivot (2020) and a 12m DASH for freestyle in lower wind?

Return to “Kitesurfing”