Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: recommandations for a quiver?

Postby tautologies » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:53 pm

vulkhan wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:08 pm
Hello it's my first post on the forum :)
I was wondering if anyone can help me with deciding which kites to buy
I'm starting my physiotherapism studies next year and want to invest in a quiver because I fell in love with kitesurfing 6 years ago. I got the chance to take courses 3 years ago end did a session the last summer with quite a lot of wind and really loved it.
I can consistenly do basic transitions and go upwind and I really want to progress during those 4 years of studies.
I'm going to work this summer to buy my quiver of 3 kites but I can't decide which to buy
I have a reedin dreamstick v2 bar so Low V and I'd like a kite with a large margin of progression so I don't need to buy another before I start to work.

My program is currently learning basics but i'd like to do freeride and baby kiteloops (not the XR stuff with slow climbing into the wind window and a huge freefall) aswell as boosting and unhooked (just a bit like handlepasses and stuff) so a pretty all round programm.

Also a good windrange if possible

I looked at the reedin supermodel, looks great on paper but i'm worried about quality because I can only afford the v1 used.
Looked also at the Pivot and seems really cool tho not that much on unhooking but it's okay.
any returns on those and on Ventum's Xcite and Xplore aswell?
thank you a lot :))

PS: Which strap is better between reedin superbinding and naish apex because i'm 41.5 and i fell between 2 sizes for the apex (because i'd like to take the larger one for neoprene socks in winter)
Would you consider splitting the quiver? You could get 2 pivots and 1 dash. The ydash ou can target using for learning unhooking. It is a bit more aggressive kitelooping, but you'll recognize the feel of the kite. Pivots are my all-time favorite kite.

I would not worry too much about the apex sizing, they are incredibly adjustable. I'm assuming the sizing more relates to the size of the pad under foot. Just get the bigger one.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:
vulkhan (Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:11 pm

The sizing of the Apex relates to the size of the pad and the space between the strap and pad. I would be OK with the small pad even with my 7mm boots but the space is not sufficient, even if I adjust to the maximum height. And when you do this usually there is only a little bit of the velcro of the adjustable part sticking on its counterpart and that opens quite regularly in crashes. Hence the larger version for me in winter.

vulkhan
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 80 Kg
Local Beach: France :
-Gruissan
-Le Jai
Style: Freeride/beginner
Gear: Looking to buy my kites (supermodel, pivot, eleveight rs?) in 12,9,7m
Reedin Dreamstick V2 bar
Manera Eclipse harness M
F-one Trax Carbon 2021 137*42
Been thanked: 0

Postby vulkhan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:39 pm

tautologies wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:53 pm
vulkhan wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:08 pm
Hello it's my first post on the forum :)
I was wondering if anyone can help me with deciding which kites to buy
I'm starting my physiotherapism studies next year and want to invest in a quiver because I fell in love with kitesurfing 6 years ago. I got the chance to take courses 3 years ago end did a session the last summer with quite a lot of wind and really loved it.
I can consistenly do basic transitions and go upwind and I really want to progress during those 4 years of studies.
I'm going to work this summer to buy my quiver of 3 kites but I can't decide which to buy
I have a reedin dreamstick v2 bar so Low V and I'd like a kite with a large margin of progression so I don't need to buy another before I start to work.

My program is currently learning basics but i'd like to do freeride and baby kiteloops (not the XR stuff with slow climbing into the wind window and a huge freefall) aswell as boosting and unhooked (just a bit like handlepasses and stuff) so a pretty all round programm.

Also a good windrange if possible

I looked at the reedin supermodel, looks great on paper but i'm worried about quality because I can only afford the v1 used.
Looked also at the Pivot and seems really cool tho not that much on unhooking but it's okay.
any returns on those and on Ventum's Xcite and Xplore aswell?
thank you a lot :))

PS: Which strap is better between reedin superbinding and naish apex because i'm 41.5 and i fell between 2 sizes for the apex (because i'd like to take the larger one for neoprene socks in winter)
Would you consider splitting the quiver? You could get 2 pivots and 1 dash. The ydash ou can target using for learning unhooking. It is a bit more aggressive kitelooping, but you'll recognize the feel of the kite. Pivots are my all-time favorite kite.

I would not worry too much about the apex sizing, they are incredibly adjustable. I'm assuming the sizing more relates to the size of the pad under foot. Just get the bigger one.
That's a great idea which size do you recommend for the dash ? Maybe 12 m dash to have fun in moderate wind (tho i found a 11m cheaper but how's the low end on dash? i'm 80 kg so may be too little) and 7 and 9 pivot for boosting and kiteloops in high winds

I have not long but large feet 41.5 so idk

Thanks !

vulkhan
Rare Poster
-Gruissan
-Le Jai
Reedin Dreamstick V2 bar
Manera Eclipse harness M

Postby vulkhan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:47 pm

Dirk wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:11 pm
The sizing of the Apex relates to the size of the pad and the space between the strap and pad. I would be OK with the small pad even with my 7mm boots but the space is not sufficient, even if I adjust to the maximum height. And when you do this usually there is only a little bit of the velcro of the adjustable part sticking on its counterpart and that opens quite regularly in crashes. Hence the larger version for me in winter.
So if I have small but fat feet i should go for the smaller one? i plan on using 6.5 mm shoes by ATAN

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:19 pm

My weight is 73 kg and I use 11/8 Pivot as my most used kites. I had the Dash 2019 in 9m and if I used a Dash quiver I would always size it up by 1m compared to the Pivot. 11m Dash and 9m Pivot is probably too close in terms of the wind range.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dirk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:21 pm

[/quote]

So if I have small but fat feet i should go for the smaller one? i plan on using 6.5 mm shoes by ATAN
[/quote]

I would go for the larger one.

vulkhan
Rare Poster
-Gruissan
-Le Jai
Reedin Dreamstick V2 bar
Manera Eclipse harness M

Postby vulkhan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:27 pm

Dirk wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:21 pm
[/quote]

I would go for the larger one.
[/quote]

thanks ! I think they'll be good even barefoot since my feet are larger than normal 41.5 people

vulkhan
Rare Poster
-Gruissan
-Le Jai
Reedin Dreamstick V2 bar
Manera Eclipse harness M

Postby vulkhan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:34 pm

Dirk wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:19 pm
My weight is 73 kg and I use 11/8 Pivot as my most used kites. I had the Dash 2019 in 9m and if I used a Dash quiver I would always size it up by 1m compared to the Pivot. 11m Dash and 9m Pivot is probably too close in terms of the wind range.
so i'd lose on low end even with a 12m dash thats sad, although i have a 137*42 f-one trax carbon it may be in off to get going in low winds since some say it's a good lightwind board aswell

since I'm 80 kg and live in the south of france (marseille) there's nice wind but i really anted to go kite once or twice a week so i wanted to cover as much wind range a possible on 3 kites maybe with different sizes/ kites it can do it

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dirk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:51 pm

What is low ind for you? With my normal TT (41 cm wide) I am using the 11m Pivot around 15-17 Knots gusting into lower 20ies. With my lightwind TT (44cm) I can go below that. That would be my range for a 12m Dash. Below 15 knots I use my 14m Boxer.

vulkhan
Rare Poster
-Gruissan
-Le Jai
Reedin Dreamstick V2 bar
Manera Eclipse harness M

Postby vulkhan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:01 pm

Dirk wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:51 pm
What is low ind for you? With my normal TT (41 cm wide) I am using the 11m Pivot around 15-17 Knots gusting into lower 20ies. With my lightwind TT (44cm) I can go below that. That would be my range for a 12m Dash. Below 15 knots I use my 14m Boxer.
I consider low wind around 13-17 kn there's rarely less where I live. You think it would be nice with a 12m dash for unhooked and then have the 7 and 9 pivots for kiteloops and boosting?
I'm starting to feel like it'd be almost perfect

How does the pivot react in jumps is it a more fast up and good hangtime down or slow and consistent pull during the jump? also do you like it for kiteloops? thanks !

Return to “Kitesurfing”