geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Recommended Line Length for 3m LEI

Postby geron » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:18 pm

Can it be that the kite is heavy for such small area and it only works in strong winds?

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:08 pm

^^ There are obviously limits but we are talking 18-20knts. I have a 4, 5.5 and 6m in different brands; they are easy enough to fly in 18-20knts.

The 5.5 is 6 strut and so no light weight! Of course they become a pita if there are frequent or long lulls.

geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:57 pm

I foiled yesterday with the Hysper2 4 meter in 11 to 16 knot winds with the w799 wing (and 23m lines) and it was so good, I could go dead downwind looping (or not) and it was so easy and fun (I am 85 kg).

ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Gear: Slingshot RPM
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:52 pm

geron wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:18 pm
Can it be that the kite is heavy for such small area and it only works in strong winds?
I was thinking the same thing especially with the way it was launching. The wind may of been a little lighter but either way I was decently powered on a 14m and twin tip. Next time I have the opportunity I'll give it a go with some higher winds and see how it handles. I'm hoping to get it out on the snow/ice in 30 kn conditions and skis to see how it handles.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:53 pm

I think the previous post about foilkites has ended up here by mistake, belonging to another thread....

Back to the topic.

Weight of the small LEI's does not mean that much, they can still fly in quite light wind, even a 3 or 4 m2, and definitely less than where you can start foiling.

But I have noticed the same as you - relaunch of some of the really small stiff LEI's does not work the same, as the canopy does not twist the same way, so it almost "skids" on the surface instead, and a reverse launch can be the only option.
Assume that is what you have experienced with yours too.

So you might use it for kitefoil instead of as a trainer kite - get used to flying this kite, A LOT, on land or low water without foil first, do bodydrags, so you know how sensitive the trim and power is and where the golden sheeting point and loop arc is for keeping max power.
Very important with these kites on a foil.

Will be interesting to hear how it works out for you :rollgrin:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
ralu81 (Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:29 pm

Regarding launch, make sure you are not sheeting in when you are trying to get it airborne and some trim in will also make it want to fly forward just be ready to check it before it try’s to disappear out of the window.

If launching in light conditions and it skids down wind rather than rolling up you can reverse launch as already said but, personally, I prefer to get it dead down wind, roll it on its back, walk to the side, pull the bottom tip with a bottom flying line into same position as if it were tethered and then tug the top leader to get it airborne. All very much like a light wind water launch apart from walking to the side rather than drifting the kite to the side. Also like an old school 5 th line launch except you have to hold the fronts and walk towards the kite to get it on its back.

PS takes a bit of practice to do the right amount of shuffling about to get the kite in position and then tension the lines!
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
ralu81 (Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Gear: Slingshot RPM
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:55 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:53 pm
I think the previous post about foilkites has ended up here by mistake, belonging to another thread....

Back to the topic.

Weight of the small LEI's does not mean that much, they can still fly in quite light wind, even a 3 or 4 m2, and definitely less than where you can start foiling.

But I have noticed the same as you - relaunch of some of the really small stiff LEI's does not work the same, as the canopy does not twist the same way, so it almost "skids" on the surface instead, and a reverse launch can be the only option.
Assume that is what you have experienced with yours too.

So you might use it for kitefoil instead of as a trainer kite - get used to flying this kite, A LOT, on land or low water without foil first, do bodydrags, so you know how sensitive the trim and power is and where the golden sheeting point and loop arc is for keeping max power.
Very important with these kites on a foil.

Will be interesting to hear how it works out for you :rollgrin:

8) Peter
Thanks Peter... Yes thats pretty much how I was launching it or how Hernan noted with it being on its back.

I didnt really think about how little throw a kite this size would only need and I'm intrigued to really feel what its like now in some higher wind. I hope I get to use it on the ice before my next trip to warm weather in late February if not I maybe trying it with the foil first after some water testing and the assumption I'll have some high winds.

Thanks Again

antjm
Rare Poster
Gear: reedin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby antjm » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:16 pm

Hello, I recently acquired this same kite so that my daughters can learn after handling 2 lines and go to the next level of 4 lines. The first time we tried it with 9 meter lines and what is said is true, that the rear lines were loose and tended to go backwards, this was proven with light wind. After which I decided to put some small extensions on it.

The second time I used it with the pigtails on the center lines it seemed to work much worse. I took them off and after practicing for a while I realized that it's not that the rear lines are loose, it's that I don't feel any pressure and I tend to pull more than necessary.

If I raise the bar a little the kite stays perfectly in place. the edge of the window and it didn't go backwards, the response from the edge to raise it to the zenith is a little complicated but I blamed it on the fact that there would be about 10 knots, little wind. Being up at zenith or more than 30 degrees the kite moves perfectly. As I have read in previous messages, the adjustment point on the bar is very small, at least in very light winds.

I think that learning is not exactly easy, but if I chose this size it was precisely so that it would not drag them and they could master the kite in the event of any problem. If they manage to master it they will be ready to go to the water with a larger kite and I am sure they will not have problems.

As we try it with more wind I will publish the impressions, I think the ideal will be about 20 knots.

And sorry for my English, I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain. a greeting from Spain!

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:53 pm

antjm wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:16 pm

I think that learning is not exactly easy, but if I chose this size it was precisely so that it would not drag them and they could master the kite in the event of any problem.

As we try it with more wind I will publish the impressions, I think the ideal will be about 20 knots.
Not sure how heavy your kids are but in 20 knots it would not surprise me a 3M kite in a deathloop can easily totally overpower a 40-50kg person.
I used to power kite as a kid and would get dragged along the grass in 20 ish nots with a (delta) kite of about 1m2…

So make sure they know how to use a safety and that they know lines are razor sharp under tension and should not be trifled with.

tilmann
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: St.Peter-Ording
Style: highspeedcarving
Gear: highspeedcarving board + 7m Slingshot Machine
Brand Affiliation: www.highspeedcarving.com

Postby tilmann » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:35 pm

I also have a 3m Rally GT and I use it with 30m lines. The longer the lines the easier small kites are to handle and the better you get through lulls by sinussing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”