Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 75
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Switch Element v Nano

Postby donshank » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:23 am

Time to upgrade my tired Switch Element v4’s.
Trying to decide between the new Elements or Nano.
The new Element is the same design as Ikon Peak v2 that came out around 2015. The Nano looks the same as Ikon Peak v4.
Is it always better to get the latest kite design?
It seems the Element is just as capable as the Nano.
What’s people opinion Element v Nano?

donshank
Rare Poster

Re: Switch Element v Nano

Postby donshank » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:09 pm

Forgot to mention, i ride mostly flat water twin tip.
Been riding for years but dont get out that often. Mow the lawn with a few jumps thrown in. Want something that makes me look good and make up for my poor technique.

Bill C
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill C » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:37 pm

You keep your kites a long time. I own several Switch Elements and a couple Nitros. I also have Pivots which are my 'go-to' kites, but I like using the Switch kites periodically. A friend bought a new Nano last year so I few my Element V6 back to back comparing the Nano.

I found the Nano more responsive, turns faster, drifts bla, bla, bla. Fun to fly. My Element is more 'meat and potatoes' with lower-end grunt and slightly more power. So it depends what you want to do with a kite.

If you really want something different, try the Nitro in higher winds (10m and below) for 5 strut, high aspect raw power. Would not recommend in the larger sizes.

mplamplampla
Medium Poster
Gear: Switch 9m

Postby mplamplampla » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:51 pm

Bill C wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:37 pm
You keep your kites a long time. I own several Switch Elements and a couple Nitros. I also have Pivots which are my 'go-to' kites, but I like using the Switch kites periodically. A friend bought a new Nano last year so I few my Element V6 back to back comparing the Nano.

I found the Nano more responsive, turns faster, drifts bla, bla, bla. Fun to fly. My Element is more 'meat and potatoes' with lower-end grunt and slightly more power. So it depends what you want to do with a kite.

If you really want something different, try the Nitro in higher winds (10m and below) for 5 strut, high aspect raw power. Would not recommend in the larger sizes.
For the nitro I also would not recommend the larger sizes. Even at the small sizes they are enjoyable at least at the medium range of wind and mostly at high wind. And also they are not so all around as the element and the nano. SO it depends what you want from the kite.

donshank
Rare Poster

Postby donshank » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:16 pm

I have a 8m Nitro v4. It jumps well as advertised but i prefer how the element flies for everyday riding.
What i dont like about the Elements is not enough hangtime, bridle wrap when i drift launch and i’m riding a 13m when most others are riding 12m and I’m only 72kg.
Think I’m leaning towards Element but please keep your opinions coming.

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150

Postby Wind Runner » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:19 pm

donshank... I'm the guy with the 12m Nano that BillC mentions above. It seems like I am a similar kiter to you... mostly just cruising around while working on things that resemble jumps and jump transitions, carving turns etc. :) Occasionally I ride in the ocean and small waves, but by no means am I a "wave" kiter and won't ever be one, considering I don't get out as much as necessary to become that proficient.

BillC is correct in that the Nano is a quick-handling kite. I do like it. It's very good for those quick pivoting changes in direction and for going where you want it to go, but also share the opinion that the Element may be better for the generic cruising around and pseudo-jumps that we do. That said, I don't know if my opinion would change based on kite size... maybe the quicker handling Nano would be more fun for a larger kite (12-14m?), and the more mild-mannered Element would be better for a smaller kite (8-10m) since small kites tend to be quicker-handling? My caveat... I have never tried the Element, so unfortunately everything I just said is more of a theory or opinion :)

Here's a few videos of me on the Nano... just mediocre riding... but it shows that the Nano works just fine!

donshank
Rare Poster

Postby donshank » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:28 am

If anyone is still interested.
I decided on the Element 10m and 12m. Added it to the cart. Went to pay.
But, the shipping to Australia is $320US.
This is a real shame that the prohibiting factor of their affordable kites is freight costs.
I realise shipping is somewhat out of their control.
I wonder if this has stopped others from purchasing?

Fatso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 85 to 100
Local Beach: Edinburgh
Kohilari
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo V5 9m

Postby Fatso » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:36 am

donshank wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:28 am
This is a real shame that the prohibiting factor of their affordable kites is freight costs.
And tax that nay be added by customs... Honestly not had the greatest experience with that brand and the resale value is not too good either. Personally I would go for something else.

justbob
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby justbob » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:59 pm

donshank wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:28 am
I feel your pain, recently paid $24 to ship an $11 had to have part for a nitro. Criminal.

donshank
Rare Poster

Postby donshank » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:53 am

No disrespect to Wind Runner but some of those landings were a little hard. Just like most of mine with my Element v4. Thats what i dont want in my next kite.
I test drove a Duotone evo sls a few days ago and it was so easy to land soft. It was only a quick session so did not try many things but thought afterwards would i get bored with such an easy kite. Probably not.

Return to “Kitesurfing”