Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Surfr app problem

Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Surfr app problem

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:05 pm

Suddenly today my Surfr app on my iPhone 7, no SIM, demanded that as a result of iOS15 one has to enable Guided Access under Accessibility. First time in months and this phone doesn't even have iOS15, still running on 14. But when I do that, it insists that I have not. It suggests restarting the phone but that does not help. Same thing with my user iPhone 8 with iOS15. Anyone else having this problem? And solutions?

Face_NickJr
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 150 lbs
Local Beach: Claiborne, Dewey, Assateague
Favorite Beaches: Tom's Cove, Chincoteague
Style: Medium Air
Gear: 2019 Slingshot Rally 6m
2022 North Orbit 8m
2022 North Orbit 10m
2022 North Orbit 12m

Re: Surfr app problem

Postby Face_NickJr » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:10 pm

After you've enabled it through settings, you still have to actually turn guided access on (every time, as soon as you open the Surfr app), by triple tapping the side button (or however you set that up in settings).

Guided access restricts the use of other apps while using Surf, which in my opinion is an obvious attempt to scrape more data and smother out competitor apps. It is free, so I don't have much room to complain, and I already go through the trouble of turning on full location access prior to each session. It is a bit annoying, as Strava has a more precise GPS history tracker (mapper), but I do like the redundancy Surfr provides when used alongside the Woo.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:49 am

Thanks! But man that is a royal pain, it's going to cut back seriously on the number of people using Surfr. And it is now completely confusing because not only does it insist on this for phones running iOS14, not the iOS15 they claim is the issue, but the advice in their video to avoid turning off the phone screen before putting it in your pouch and wetsuit, disagrees with the advice you get once you start a session on the phone, which is to lock the screen. Not very impressive. AND, their email address for help does not work. I guess this is what you get for free, but it sucks as the app worked wonderfully for me for the past few months. And it is being promoted by local hotshot Michael MacDonald and was extensively used in the recent BAKL event here. Gonna be lots of pissed off users.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:49 am

Thanks! But man that is a royal pain, it's going to cut back seriously on the number of people using Surfr. And it is now completely confusing because not only does it insist on this for phones running iOS14, not the iOS15 they claim is the issue, but the advice in their video to avoid turning off the phone screen before putting it in your pouch and wetsuit, disagrees with the advice you get once you start a session on the phone, which is to lock the screen. Not very impressive. AND, their email address for help does not work. I guess this is what you get for free, but it sucks as the app worked wonderfully for me for the past few months. And it is being promoted by local hotshot Michael MacDonald and was extensively used in the recent BAKL event here. Gonna be lots of pissed off users.

pmania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Workum
Favorite Beaches: Nice beach at the sea, with some good waves!
Style: freestyle
Gear: Switch Legacy v2 9m, Element v3 9m & Nitro v3 12m +v6 10m 2 x Controller 3 and MJ 140x43 Pansh A15 18m
Naish Aero 14m North Rhino 2009 10m Jaime Pro 2005 M
Old & broken: North Rhino's 2005 10m+14m Rhino 2006 14m and vegas 2007 7m F-One Impact 2006 9m
Has thanked: 0

Postby pmania » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:53 am

Did you update already to iOS 15.3 and watch the YT video from surfr ? 15.3 came out recently it is only a security update but what I read about it a nasty one therefor you want that update! I recommend fixing the surfr app maybe first but if you are still on 14 not! Let me check on iPhone X I need to do it again I will try to make quickly a video how i did it the last time. if it still works I also noticed it ofcourse on the water, I also have Android.

:( So every iOS update you have to do it again, or you only get the pop up message again or both!

I done it already

You need to press home button 3 times pretty very QUICKLY on Iphone 7 you still have a physical home button I think, you can check all phone's on www.gsmarena.com btw!

Tested jump height 1.9 meter!!!!!!!!!

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:43 am

Thanks! I might have figured it out, will see if it works today.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:56 pm

Okay, it worked today, just have to do the thrice pressing of the home button and then ignore the suggestion to lock the phone and turn the screen off. It's a shame because with the screen on all the time the battery runs down fast. But it worked. This is an old iPhone7 and the battery is not the greatest, just have to start with it at 100% and it was down to 30% at the end.

DonaldM
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 76
Local Beach: 's-Gravenhage
Style: Freeride / Wave
Gear: Neo 6m 2019 / Neo 9m 2016
F-one hydrofoil IC6 850cm2 - 85cm
Liquidforce slice 5.10
Flysurfer Radical 5 - 134

Postby DonaldM » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:08 am

I had the same battery problem in a pretty new XR. Turning down the screen brightness helps a lot. But makes it hard to see in sunlight. I try to balance it a little and start surfr from inside the car where it's darker. Real pain in the @ss.

BTW, this is iOS messing with the app, with new updates it again restricts apps from working in the background/with screen off (has to do with apples efforts to save battery). Guess they need to find a workaround that's more user friendly again. Will probably take some time before this annoyance is fixed.

highflyLuke
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Zandmotor
Favorite Beaches: Alva Beach
Style: Oldskool
Gear: 7-9-11 2020 Rebel
Been thanked: 0

Postby highflyLuke » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been talking to the Surfr boys and they have told me the following.

Due to the iOS 15 release Surfr now must run Guided Access because otherwise you wont be able to record anything with an iPhone. If you wont run Guided Access the iOS 15 will kill the app after 5 minutes of recording due to new battery limitations. This is something Surfr doesn't want to do at all because this only causing a lot of issues with users!

Regards the battery drainage. Due to Guided Access the screen stays turned with the next release (coming out one of these days) the screen will be fully dimmed when turning on Guided Access.

Surfr keeps on searching for a better work around but at this stage iOS 15 is limiting the possibilities. All iPhone users will be updated soon via email regards work arounds etc.

pmania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Workum
Favorite Beaches: Nice beach at the sea, with some good waves!
Style: freestyle
Gear: Switch Legacy v2 9m, Element v3 9m & Nitro v3 12m +v6 10m 2 x Controller 3 and MJ 140x43 Pansh A15 18m
Naish Aero 14m North Rhino 2009 10m Jaime Pro 2005 M
Old & broken: North Rhino's 2005 10m+14m Rhino 2006 14m and vegas 2007 7m F-One Impact 2006 9m
Has thanked: 0

Postby pmania » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:30 pm

This is only in wet suit mode on iOS, ah seems like it!
Do you only use it to have your jump heights spoken out and for the whole session ofcourse it is a irritating act to must do every time. What about buying a xiamo mi wrist band, they announced through iG that it works with surfr. It starts from $20/euro20 but the 7 comes out this year pretty soon I hope! Or just get your hands on a mount to mount an iphone on your board.

Return to “Kitesurfing”