Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Pete Cabrinha leaves the Cabrinha brand

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:29 pm

pete.cabrinha

Hello Everyone.

I hope the new year is treating you well so far.

It is with a heavy heart that I would like to announce that I’ve recently finalized my departure from the Cabrinha brand and all of its associated entities including Cabrinha, Adventure Sports and Dakine Wind.

I am no longer in service to, or employed by the brand that bears my name. To put a finer point on it, I am no longer responsible for any of the designs, development, marketing or actions of the Adventure Sports Group and its subsidiaries.

I am moving forward with the next phase of my lifelong pursuit in the water sports industry and I’ll be providing more detail in due time.

This has been an extremely difficult decision, made even more arduous by my very personal connection and dedication to the Cabrinha brand. And yet, my decision to leave is now clear.

I would like to thank the many global partners that have put their trust in me over the years who have helped to turn the concepts of kitesurfing, wingsurfing, and foilboarding into some of the greatest water sports on earth. Your commitment to the sport and brand building process has been unmatched and much appreciated. You know who you are and my family and I certainly do as well.

I would like to thank the countless customers worldwide who have supported my unrelenting pursuit of performance, innovation, and the end user experience. Your enthusiastic demand for compelling design has always been my main motivation and inspiration, and this will continue to be my main driver in the future.

I wish you all the best in 2022 and beyond and I look forward to connecting with you soon.

With regards,
Pete Cabrinha

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pete Cabrinha leaves the Cabrinha brand

Postby bkkite » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:18 pm

Didn't he just recently go back to it?!

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:23 pm

What an odd statement. Makes me feel sorry for him. Doesn’t sound like that was someone happy leaving.

dewwy
Medium Poster
Style: Freestyle/Wakestyle
Gear: -

Postby dewwy » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:53 pm

bkkite wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:18 pm
Nah, you are probably thinking of pat goodman.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:05 pm

Sad news, legendary person, of course very difficult to leave company which you established and has your surname. Quite strange why? Life is life.

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:33 am

bkkite wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:18 pm
Yes, exactly, almost two years ago : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2405597

I don't understand what is happening. Pat Goodman is back and a few weeks after that Pete Cabrinha leaves. They just release their new collection.
His message is not very clear and does not explain at all why he is leaving, except that it has been a difficult decision to take. Maybe we will learn more of the situation later.
These users thanked the author Baptiste_FR for the post:
bkkite (Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:29 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard

Postby gator1 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:30 am

The Cabrinha brand is legendary. Innovating from the start.

Along with Robby, Pete gave their brands soul.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:29 pm

It’s a private company so it’s difficult to know exactly what has taken place, but my guess is Pete originally sold all or part of the company to Neil Pryde’s company, after Neil retired, WBI and Pete bought back the ownership from Neil Pryde’s company. (They also bought the water division of Dakine (also founded on Maui).) Now Pete may have sold his remaining ownership, probably a minority share so no control of company, to WBI.

Pete is a great guy and has accomplished so much as an athlete and a businessman - can’t wait to hear what he will do next. He’s also an artist and opened a gallery. His wife is also super successful in her own company with fashion swim wear that appears in Sports Illustrated’s annual edition.

I’ll never forget when he helped us pick out a rash shirt in the Maui store - so humble. Or kiting off Kanaha a few years ago and cheering him on after seeing him land a 360, strapless.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:37 pm

Always sad to see the name leaving the brand, like Lou Wainman, no matter how prosaic the reasons.
Dave_5280 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:29 pm
It’s a private company so it’s difficult to know exactly what has taken place, but my guess is Pete originally sold all or part of the company to Neil Pryde’s company, after Neil retired, WBI and Pete bought back the ownership from Neil Pryde’s company. (They also bought the water division of Dakine (also founded on Maui).) Now Pete may have sold his remaining ownership, probably a minority share so no control of company, to WBI.

Pete is a great guy and has accomplished so much as an athlete and a businessman - can’t wait to hear what he will do next. He’s also an artist and opened a gallery. His wife is also super successful in her own company with fashion swim wear that appears in Sports Illustrated’s annual edition.

I’ll never forget when he helped us pick out a rash shirt in the Maui store - so humble. Or kiting off Kanaha a few years ago and cheering him on after seeing him land a 360, strapless.
I forget the details, that was basically it but not so simple :D It was something like NP was manufacturing and distribution only... Makes me wonder why he bothered buying it all back ... if that's what happened!

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:54 pm

I would guess the classic disagreement with the business partner.

Return to “Kitesurfing”