Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Any dry suit fans out there?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:57 am

1234567Simon wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:10 am
Love my Drysuit.....
But basically because I Just HATE those frontzippers on the new wetsuits..... It is such a Pain in the A... getting in might be OK, but getting Out Impossible ...

Would Love to get a new normal super warm wetsuit...

Yes Drysuit gets wet after 3 hours from sweating....
But super warm!
I can Go for pee, without taking of the whole suit.

Did you get and have a frontzip wetsuit?

Some say you can learn, over time, to get out.
I have tried a few in shops, and I hate these, not for me, I am not flexible so impossible and I simply wont deal with this troublesome Houdini mess, not even if one can learn so it could get easier.

Bought a new winter wetsuit 5/4 yesterday, with backzip, love these, super warm and comfortable and smooth neoprene.
As my 2½ year old suit was on its third winter season.
A wetsuit is warm for two seasons, then they get colder quite fast.
At least if used often.
This goes for all models and brands, and many less experienced dont know this as the suit seems just fine later and the change comes gradually so many dont notice.

It doesnt matter as the suit will still be without holes or damage and can be used for a bit less cold conditions, so important in/out is easy and fast.
But the result is you need a new suit for cold conditions now and then :naughty:

In contrast good summersuits might last for 10 years no problem and you wont notice a difference.

8) Peter

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:09 am

Good dry suite breaths as long as you gave right thermal layer underneath, cotton is bad as it collects moisture.

I use my drysuite 4-5 months a years on weekly basis and my latex seal are in immaculate condition.

It’s not only more comfort on water but also way nicer and easier to put on and off.

Good dry suite cost twice a price of good winter wetsuits but as mentioned before wetsuits last 2 years and need replacing when dry suite can go for 5 years without replacing latex seals and even with this replacement it’s way cheaper

Boston kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Naaaaaahant
Favorite Beaches: Chapin, Kalmus, Wing, Horseneck, Hardings, Hatch, Good Harbor.
Style: freeride , boost, surf, foil
Gear: Duotone 11 rebel sls, 9m Pivot sls 7m Pivot 9m UFO

Crazyfly Raptor pro, Slingshot Celero Cab secret agent/Lift 170 classic

Postby Boston kiter » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:07 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:09 am
Good dry suite breaths as long as you gave right thermal layer underneath, cotton is bad as it collects moisture.

I use my drysuite 4-5 months a years on weekly basis and my latex seal are in immaculate condition.

It’s not only more comfort on water but also way nicer and easier to put on and off.

Good dry suite cost twice a price of good winter wetsuits but as mentioned before wetsuits last 2 years and need replacing when dry suite can go for 5 years without replacing latex seals and even with this replacement it’s way cheaper

I wear marino wool for base layers... works great!!. And yes, never wear cotton, absorbs like a sponge.

Ian_NL
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Reedin Supermodel v2 7, 9 & 12m.
Foil kites: Gong Strutless 9m v3 & 12m v2
Kite Boards: Fone trax 136x40,5 ('18), Firewire Vanguard 5.2 and Spleene Session 141x43 ('08)
Wings: Gong Plus 2023 4, 5 & 6m
Wingboard: F-one Rocket 5'10 with Gravity 1800 foil

Postby Ian_NL » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:37 pm

After reading this thread I decided to try my drysuit for wingsurfing in 6°C. I'm in the beginner stage, learning to jibe on the foil so I fall a lot.
Because I had the impression that kneestarts and a sharp wing are not a good combination for a drysuit I bought a 5/4 hooded Srface wetsuit this fall to get through winter. But from around 6°C and lower I do get cold hands and feet after a 1,5 hour or so.
So today I wore the 6 year old drysuit (Gul Hydro) again. Since I got out on a small lake I was not afraid of a leaking drysuit, if that happend I could use the board to paddle to shore quickly.
The drysuit is definitely warmer, no more cold hand and feet due to warmer body. I wore thermo underwear and a fleece suit as base layers. When you fall in the water it is bulky because of the air in the suit, so swimming is harder but not impossible. I hope the knees of the suit can handle all the knee starts but will be using it more when it's really cold. Let's see how long it will last.
These users thanked the author Ian_NL for the post:
Bill C (Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:34 am)
Rating: 3.03%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:32 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:09 am

I have to disagree with the idea of breathable drysuits. There isn't a fabric out there that's breathable enough (and water tight) - unless you are fortunate enough not to sweat. High performance outdoor clothing (designed for hiking) works by adding a bunch of vents - or holes - into the top layer to allow moisture out. Clearly that's never going to work.

I agree you need to wear correct base layers (I'm a big fan of the ocean rodeo base layer - but I'm sure others are just as good) to transport the moisture so that it sits between the inner layers and the drysuit. That's what keeps you warm - keeping the moisture away from the body. Don't be under the illusion that you won't think that you have a leak in your suit though after you take the base layer off - because it will feel pretty wet. You won't feel the wet before hand but if you run hot like me you'll see the surface of the base layer has a layer of dew on top.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:45 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:32 pm
I have to disagree with the idea of breathable drysuits. There isn't a fabric out there that's breathable enough (and water tight) - unless you are fortunate enough not to sweat. High performance outdoor clothing (designed for hiking) works by adding a bunch of vents - or holes - into the top layer to allow moisture out. Clearly that's never going to work.
What do you mean not breathable enough? How much breathability you need from drysuite depends how much you sweat at it's somehow related to how many layers you wear. I always try to have just 1-2 layers underneath in 0-5degC and 5-12degC single layers and most of the time my OR Heat 2.0 manages to extract most of the moisture, even if there is more that I would want its still way nicer feeling to have slightly damp clothing that taking wetsuit off all whole experience in riding in 0-5degC in wetsuit is so bad comparing to drysuite. I feel like wet rat when I take off my O'Neill Psycho Tech 6/4mm.

Not only on water there is more comfort but afterward when you take your suite of in drysuit you are dry in wetsuite not only wet but I have a feeling like I need good long shower, in drysuite I could go straight to office/work.

For me only "the look" drawback of drysuite. Another advantage is that you can wear tin 3mm booties just to give puncture protection to you drysuits and enjoy nicer dexterity of feet in straps.

I only jump to wetsuite when water is +8degC and I don't have to wear booties as having bare foots always wins :cool2:

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:52 pm

I owned a (cheapest) Ocean Rodeo drysuit maybe close to 20 years ago when I lived in Wisconsin.

It was great, and worked really well as long as I was careful not to sweat too much inside of it.

The latex seals were practically perfect the entire time I lived in Wisconsin, but started giving me problems as soon as I moved to Florida.

Latex has no resistance to sunlight, and also oily things such such as sunblock will slowly turn it into sticky goo.

Down here the latex neck and wrist seals never lasted longer than one season.

Sarda
Frequent Poster
Gear: Bit of everything

Postby Sarda » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:01 am

If in really cold water a quality wetsuit should be able to perform as well as any drysuit if not outperform, or worn (any wetsuit) under the drysuit can be the optimum, comfort, warmth and security!

Pros and cons?

By quality wetsuit I mean made to measure by a spearo wetsuit maker ie. omer, and not fashion branded wetsuit maker. Neoprene doesn't come from many manufacturers worldwide (2 mainly) and there are many types. The more stretch equates to less insulation but better/easier fit. Less stretch neoprene as used by many spearo suit makers and custom fit in particular has less stretch but is also quite delicate irrespective of linings/coatings, but a custom fit 9mm 2 piece (18mm over the torso!) should not be cold in the water for longer than most can kite in a day. Should be good for upto 8 hours in water.

For cold feet in wetsuit or drysuit boots, many swear by putting each foot in a plastic bag (shopping, small bin bag) and then in the boot integrated or not. I have never needed to do this. Others swear by women's tights/stockings, again, never tried it. Very old school and some of them were a bit suspect!

Stay warm!

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:46 pm

For cold weather kiteboarding drysuits rock. Period. On another level from wetsuits. All gaskets protected and covered from squid lid, gloves and boots. Safe. Warm. Dry. Comfy. Easy. Rinse with water. Periodically apply conditioners to gaskets and zippers. Will last for years. Total game changer.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:30 am

You get your seals replaced for life though with kakatat don’t you?

Return to “Kitesurfing”