Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK Camber , Whitstable. Southcoast in general
Style: Freeride
Gear: Nobile / Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Keep unhooking - strange problem

Postby wardr77 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:57 pm

Noticed a problem that seems to have started recently for some reason. Have a compstick sentinel bar and I always ride hooked in with the DD locked into place in the harness hook, however I have somehow managed to unhook maybe 3 or 4 times over the last couple of months and no idea why, chicken loop not released, nothing broken. For some reason it seems to have coincided with the purchase of a new 9m Religion kite which has pretty light bar pressure and I'm wondering whether at times i'm pulling hard on the bar causing the DD to flex and drop out and then I unhook... for info I cannot remember what sort of things I was doing on the board when this happened! Anyone else experienced this problem and managed to sort it? Thanks

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: Keep unhooking - strange problem

Postby evan » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:15 am

Try a spreader bar with a loop instead of hook if you never want to do unhooked tricks. Back in the days of unhooked tricks we learned to not push the bar too far down unless we want to intentionally unhook, rendering the donkey dick obsolete plus you had the skills to hook back in without issues.

Nowadays barely anyone unhooks anymore but they keep riding a system designed for it, even if you make the dick impossibly stiff you will be able to force an unhooked loop if you push the bar hard enough down.
So learn to avoid that motion or eliminate the possibility to unhook altogether!
These users thanked the author evan for the post:
Boston kiter (Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:44 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:29 am

If your bar grips the center line tubing it may be stiff enough to push chickenloop down. If swivel is not working well the tube might turn the chickenloop for disengagement…………..
Last edited by Herman on Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wardr77
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK Camber , Whitstable. Southcoast in general
Style: Freeride
Gear: Nobile / Slingshot
Has thanked: 0

Postby wardr77 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:49 pm

Thanks for the replies, the compstick DD is quite flexible so think at times the loop is pushing the DD out, think I will get some PU tube to stiffen it up a bit

Boston kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Naaaaaahant
Favorite Beaches: Chapin, Kalmus, Wing, Horseneck, Hardings, Hatch, Good Harbor.
Style: freeride , boost, surf, foil
Gear: Duotone 11 rebel sls, 9m Pivot sls 7m Pivot 9m UFO

Crazyfly Raptor pro, Slingshot Celero Cab secret agent/Lift 170 classic

Postby Boston kiter » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:47 am

wardr77 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:57 pm
Noticed a problem that seems to have started recently for some reason. Have a compstick sentinel bar and I always ride hooked in with the DD locked into place in the harness hook, however I have somehow managed to unhook maybe 3 or 4 times over the last couple of months and no idea why, chicken loop not released, nothing broken. For some reason it seems to have coincided with the purchase of a new 9m Religion kite which has pretty light bar pressure and I'm wondering whether at times i'm pulling hard on the bar causing the DD to flex and drop out and then I unhook... for info I cannot remember what sort of things I was doing on the board when this happened! Anyone else experienced this problem and managed to sort it? Thanks
Have you tried the smaller freeride loop? The standard loop on the sentinel bar is huge.

https://slingshotsports.com/products/20 ... icken-loop

Sarda
Frequent Poster
Gear: Bit of everything

Postby Sarda » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:17 am

I have had this happen with a few C loops dicks. It has been when either your dick is too short, lost some of its ridgedness, too narrow gauge or where it is attached to the cl in a combination with the shape of the spreader hook. What was happening is when the cl is slack for a brief moment and drops on occasion, especiallypulling down on the bar, when tension came back on if the cl was partially over the hook with a slight twist, sometimes it will remain there, usually on a straight based hook, but since the loop was now in effect slightly longer on a sharper bend radius the dick can drop if too short/narrow . On other occasions on a rounded based hook (and straight), if when the above happens and tension comes back on and the cl moves past the centre of the curved hook it will just bend the dick.

What made it un noticeable is can ofen go about with the cl hooked on the base of the spreader and it can go back to normal when the tension is off.

It is definitely a wtf moment.

I am guessing photos/video may provide a better explanation.

There are a multitude of remedies for cl Impotence, consult your kite dealer. A quick fix is heavy duty tubing over the existing dick.

You need a more robust dick!

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:22 am

Basically what Sarda said.

Alternatively, you can actively make sure the DD is in the correct spot. It's what I try to do after every landing now. Normally you get a "pre-unhook" where only one side comes off, or the whole thing comes off and is just barely held in place by the DD. Next time you load it, it will fully release.

Return to “Kitesurfing”