Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Call the industry to unify inflation valves

Postby edt » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:21 pm

I want there to be standards on everything. Standards on kite valves, colors of bars, pigtails, it's annoying. There is some market pressure to do this, a little bit. Naish quite using the octopus and Core quit doing the twist QR so who knows maybe some day but only because of pressure the customers put on the manufacturers.

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:48 pm

Glad I am not the only one thinking the situation is stupid. Of the 4 I have I like the ozone the best as it never failed compared to some of the other ones. But don’t ask me to name it - oh ok - I see it listed as BiG Boston Valve. I had trouble multiple times with the cantina/BRM valves - not a fan. Also had failures over the years with Duotone- then North valves. And I dislike the old but still working small rubber inflation valves due to the flow issue - especially on large kites.

I don’t think they should settle on one valve - but on one adapter which fits all the valves. Like the push out QRs. All are different but all work the same. Even core learned that.

Someone from fix my kite wants to chime in as they sell all different valves to start with?

G

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby grigorib » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:51 pm

I love Boston valves which Slingshot uses. The deflation valve is also useful, at least I enjoy having it

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:58 am

marlboroughman wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:14 pm
You can only brake the pushpin by twisting the hose against it. I had it figured out the second I looked at it. Never had a problem. Naish gives you a spare valve and a tool to remove it in case you brake it. If you brake it the second time go back to Boston. I put high miles on my car and interior is mint. Friend of mine destroys everything on the inside. So yeah, it is not for everybody.
Yeah, what I said already... if it breaks when you accidentally touch it with the hose, the design sucks. I'm pretty sure I didn't touch it though, because before I used the system it already didn't look like the most reliable valve to me with the plastic (nylon by the feel of it) pushpin and spring, so I was already cautious. But sure, if someone with 1500+ hours experience fucks it up (again, don't think I did, was careful to pull the hose straight, also not pushing in too hard to deflate), it sure would be a great system for all the beginners that just bought their first kite... what could go wrong huh? :roll: The Core system with the separate deflate piece would even be a better choice.

I've been told there was a 1% failing rate on these valves, that's why spares are included and the redesign is coming.

And sure, let me get my scissors and cut out the valve of my brand new kites, lol. I would be interested in a Boston adapter though. Don't think those exist unfortunately (yet)

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:10 am

I don’t think it has to be one standard valve. But I do think there should be a standard bayonet mount.

I like the Boston valve. It is replaceable and it seems like every pump works with it. Unlike duotone’s bayonet valve.

ham-er
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 95kg
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone Enduro V1 6m
Ozone Catalyst 2012 8m
Ozone Edge V8 10m
Ozone Enduro V3 12m
Ozone Zephyr V6 17m

Airush Switch 145x44
Cabrinha Xcaliber 138x42

Postby ham-er » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:45 am

Toby wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:44 pm
Faxie wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:18 pm
Never gonna happen. Too many brands want to have unique selling points.
Please explain...and find me ONE guy on here who decided to buy a kite for it's valve
Maybe not a determining factor to buy a kite, but if a particular manufacturer uses a valve you hate, you will not buy that kite for that one reason.

I am all for standardisation, doesn't have to be 1 and only solution, but no more than 2 or 3 max

Dingus
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: What’s not broken
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dingus » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:11 am

Above suggestion of standard(universal) bayonet pump hose fittings and valve replacement options is excellent!!!!

Can we please have a standard or universal-
Internal hose fitting diameter,
External hose fitting diameter,
Bayonet size(length depth).

And also adapters that fit to the universal pump hose?
These users thanked the author Dingus for the post:
purdyd (Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:57 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:34 pm

I don’t want ANY valve that requires ANY adaptor at all. That leaves plenty of room to have some variety for whatever reason you like (The Cabrinha/Slingshot valve, North valve, and Ocean Rodeo valves, for example). Those are all slightly different in appearance, but they all function well and the standard pump hose just plugs on. No adaptors needed. That’s just one more thing to lose/forget. Just yesterday while I was doing the beach prep part of a lesson, a local came over and asked if I had a Duotone adaptor b/c he’d forgotten his pump at home. I didn’t (I must’ve loaned mine from my adaptor bag to someone and not gotten it back) and neither did anyone else. So he just ended up going home and missing a session. It’s been several years since I owned a kite that needed an adaptor and I don’t miss that at all.
These users thanked the author SENDIT! for the post (total 2):
Oldman_Dave (Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:37 pm) • ilboarder12 (Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:16 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:37 pm

SENDIT! wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:34 pm
I don’t want ANY valve that requires ANY adaptor at all. That leaves plenty of room to have some variety for whatever reason you like (The Cabrinha/Slingshot valve, North valve, and Ocean Rodeo valves, for example). Those are all slightly different in appearance, but they all function well and the standard pump hose just plugs on. No adaptors needed.
This is the correct answer :thumb:
These users thanked the author Oldman_Dave for the post:
SENDIT! (Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:53 pm

SENDIT! wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:34 pm
I don’t want ANY valve that requires ANY adaptor at all. That leaves plenty of room to have some variety for whatever reason you like (The Cabrinha/Slingshot valve, North valve, and Ocean Rodeo valves, for example). Those are all slightly different in appearance, but they all function well and the standard pump hose just plugs on. No adaptors needed. That’s just one more thing to lose/forget. Just yesterday while I was doing the beach prep part of a lesson, a local came over and asked if I had a Duotone adaptor b/c he’d forgotten his pump at home. I didn’t (I must’ve loaned mine from my adaptor bag to someone and not gotten it back) and neither did anyone else. So he just ended up going home and missing a session. It’s been several years since I owned a kite that needed an adaptor and I don’t miss that at all.

How many use this?

Have never seen it myself, but would be great :thumb:

Standard pump hoses all come with the bayonet:
Stdpump.jpg
Stdpump.jpg (8.85 KiB) Viewed 460 times

Which kites/Wings use valves where the std bayonet fits?

i find it utterly frustrating, that North/Duotone use an "almost" bayonet valve, but a few tenths of a mm different, so a std hose/pump without adaptor does not work....
Close but no cigar :(

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”