Call the industry to unify inflation valves

Forum for kitesurfers
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Call the industry to unify inflation valves

Postby purdyd » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:29 am

Dingus wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:11 am
Above suggestion of standard(universal) bayonet pump hose fittings and valve replacement options is excellent!!!!

Can we please have a standard or universal-
Internal hose fitting diameter,
External hose fitting diameter,
Bayonet size(length depth).

And also adapters that fit to the universal pump hose?
Yes, the duotone bayonet valve is a classic example of where the outside diameter of the hose and the depth that it can be inserted are important parameters.

The good news is the duotone pump hose fits on standard boston valves just fine so it is sort of a universal bayonet mount design.

like I said, I'm not a hug fan of the duotone valve but if the industry adopted the duotone pump hose bayonet dimensions it would work with more kites. duotone anyway.

And if any new valves are developed that would work within those dimensions it would be at least one less thing to worry about.

But I have little confidence in an industry that can't even figure out which bridles lines should have the loops or knots.

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:37 pm

Well the bayonet is used by some companies but I am not a fan as you need to rotate your pump accordingly to get the bayonet line up in the first place. Also, that’s the valve I had multiple problems with. I think I am on replacement number 3 or so. I like the ease of use of the Boston.

dice
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby dice » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:15 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:53 pm
How many use this?

Have never seen it myself, but would be great :thumb:

Standard pump hoses all come with the bayonet:

Stdpump.jpg

Which kites/Wings use valves where the std bayonet fits?

i find it utterly frustrating, that North/Duotone use an "almost" bayonet valve, but a few tenths of a mm different, so a std hose/pump without adaptor does not work....
Close but no cigar :(

8) Peter
Weird, I have the last and second last generation kite of the old North (just before it became Duotone) and I use the standard pump hose with no adapter.
It's awesome, since everyone has it on their pump, so if I ever forget, I literally can use anyones pump.

EastCC
Medium Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo - Australia

Postby EastCC » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:42 am

pumps come with all the fittings now so....?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:57 pm

I guess be careful what are you wishing for - some thoughts materialize.
French regulatory body AFNOR has announced that the only watersports (kayaks, SUPs, kites etc) approved and acceptable valve is to be the halkey.
Gear not matching government requirements is considered unsafe and both store and private sales are considered illegal.
The regulation has high chance becoming accepted and enforced in whole EU.

Fatso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 85 to 100
Local Beach: Edinburgh
Kohilari
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo V5 9m

Postby Fatso » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:22 pm

grigorib wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:57 pm
French regulatory body AFNOR has announced that the only watersports (kayaks, SUPs, kites etc) approved and acceptable valve is to be the halkey.
Gear not matching government requirements is considered unsafe and both store and private sales are considered illegal.
Nah, it's a stretch. That valve isn't used in kites however they may have standardized it for inflatable water faring equipment, kite are considered flying equipment but inflatable boards on the other hand...

AFNOR cannot enforce this and other EU bodies will not follow. What's your source on the announcement? I'm French, I can read it and see what's what.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:31 pm

Fatso wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:22 pm
grigorib wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:57 pm
Nah, it's a stretch. That valve isn't used in kites however they may have standardized it for inflatable water faring equipment, kite are considered flying equipment but inflatable boards on the other hand...

AFNOR cannot enforce this and other EU bodies will not follow. What's your source on the announcement? I'm French, I can read it and see what's what.
Look at the date :P

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:46 pm

For more exciting news of the day see grigorib7 stories on Instagram - them posts got removed from here and I was fortunate to take screenshots before losing them

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:26 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:53 pm

Which kites/Wings use valves where the std bayonet fits?

i find it utterly frustrating, that North/Duotone use an "almost" bayonet valve, but a few tenths of a mm different, so a std hose/pump without adaptor does not work....
Close but no cigar :(

8) Peter
It's not the only difference. DTK adapter also has a kind of groove to open/close the valve while twisting.

I'm not "loyal" to any particular brand :lol: and have kites of different brands here. As an engineer, I usually try to understand how things work and why they're made in a specific way. Therefore, some valves have nice pros but some cons too. For instance, the F-One/Naish valve is nice since it's shared with other industries (SUP, kayaks and other inflatables). Cheap, easy to find, works very well but, it works in a "closed state", thus, it can't show you the exact kite pressure since the valve is constantly being closed by a diafragma. AFAIK, the only valve that works in an "open state", while pumping, is Duotone's. Ok... but, who cares about pressure when we can flick the leading edge with a finger and guess the correct pressure by the sound :lol:

Cabrinha/North/Eleveight are basically the same and, when you loose the leash that holds the valve attached to the kite, be sure that you'll also loose the valve and need a new one :-? . The same applies to the Boston valve used by Ozone. All valves that work with a separeted cap, that must be twisted to open/close have the same flawnesses: 1). if you loose the leash, will also loose the valve and 2). you must be carefull to not stress the bladder while twisting the cap.

Here's a spreadsheet I've made to collect some data about the mess we have in the kite's industry

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

What I really desire is that all bars use low V split. High V split has nothing to contribute imho.
These users thanked the author rnelias for the post (total 3):
CaptainKook (Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:46 am) • rw30 (Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:45 pm) • judas (Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:20 am)
Rating: 9.09%

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:31 am

Some cheap adapters:

1). F-One/Naish: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001102 ... caa49Vmwzn

2). Ozone/Cabrinha/Eleveight/North/Nobile: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001219 ... caa49Vmwzn

with these adapters I can inflate the mix of LEI kites I have here :lol:

(but I also have a DTK hose just to pump my Rebels)

Return to “Kitesurfing”