Style: Freeride, Surf
Gear: 7, 9, 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Call the industry to unify inflation valves

Postby CaptainKook » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:50 am

rnelias wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:26 am
[

Here's a spreadsheet I've made to collect some data about the mess we have in the kite's industry

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

What I really desire is that all bars use low V split. High V split has nothing to contribute imho.
CrazyFly are
Node Loop Loop Node
V
Inflation valve 3

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:51 pm

Flysurfer Peaks does not have 4 nodes.
They could also be labelled as 4 loops, or 2 loops 2 nodes or reverse.

They have universal "node or loop" whatever you like, at the kite :thumb:
Dont know about other Flysurfer kites though....

Takoon have Loop Node Node Loop.
And Valve 3 / Adapter 3 the classic Boston like many has.
Some Takoon kites has high V, newer ones low V - I dont care it doesnt matter what the kite is born with, I hate low V myself so avoid these at all cost.

It doesnt matter whether kites are node or loop or high or low V, takes a few minutes to convert loop/node.

But the valves are important IMO - I wish all had Boston, but we dont agree about this.
On the excel it shows Valve 4 usea adapter 1 - I think this is wrong, valve 4 is the one that does not need an adapter, and adapter 1 is the special Duotone a few tenths of a mm different diameter.

Agree that Duotone Valve1 and the one without adapter Valve4, has its drawbacks as you need to rotate the pump hose precisely, which can be difficult.
But in theory I love the idea of "no adapter needed".

PS: Naish also has Valve 3 / Adapter 3 on earlier models, before the 2 / 2 now, so "year" specific.

8) Peter

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:17 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:51 pm
Flysurfer Peaks does not have 4 nodes.
They could also be labelled as 4 loops, or 2 loops 2 nodes or reverse.

They have universal "node or loop" whatever you like, at the kite :thumb:
Dont know about other Flysurfer kites though....

Takoon have Loop Node Node Loop.
And Valve 3 / Adapter 3 the classic Boston like many has.
Some Takoon kites has high V, newer ones low V - I dont care it doesnt matter what the kite is born with, I hate low V myself so avoid these at all cost.

It doesnt matter whether kites are node or loop or high or low V, takes a few minutes to convert loop/node.

But the valves are important IMO - I wish all had Boston, but we dont agree about this.
On the excel it shows Valve 4 usea adapter 1 - I think this is wrong, valve 4 is the one that does not need an adapter, and adapter 1 is the special Duotone a few tenths of a mm different diameter.

Agree that Duotone Valve1 and the one without adapter Valve4, has its drawbacks as you need to rotate the pump hose precisely, which can be difficult.
But in theory I love the idea of "no adapter needed".

PS: Naish also has Valve 3 / Adapter 3 on earlier models, before the 2 / 2 now, so "year" specific.

8) Peter
The Duotone valve on a friends kite is a pain in the ass... almost everytime when you detach the hose, the inner ring rotates along, so it starts to lose air again. Rubbish design if you ask me.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:58 pm

Faxie wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:17 pm

The Duotone valve on a friends kite is a pain in the ass... almost everytime when you detach the hose, the inner ring rotates along, so it starts to lose air again. Rubbish design if you ask me.
It's designed to automatically close and open the valve when you plug and unplug the correct adapter. If it's happening the valve has some malfunction and should be fixed or replaced.

I think it's a clever design since it works in an open state while pumping and has this "automatic" open and close feature, however, it's a proprietary design and we must have the specific adapter to make it work properly.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:29 pm

Yes and that’s the problem. Proprietary designs are to help the company, not the user. Better designs are based on the users ease and function.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:58 am

If you buy a duotone pump, the bayonet at the end of the hose will work with duotone and mini Boston valves.

So in my case duotone and slingshot and I have friends with Cabrinha. All good.

But as we found out the hard way, the valve adapter for a f-one wing would not work with the duotone hose bayonet mount.

And my wmdg pump hose bayonet is too thick to attach to the duotone valve.

So maybe it is the pump and adapter manufacturers that need to get their act together,
The valve rotates clockwise to open and counter clockwise to close. So as you twist the hose counterclockwise to remove the hose, it closes the valve.

So the inner ring has to rotate along with the hose.

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:13 pm

Whatever the kites vale’s is please make them work with one adapter. You are welcome to be innovative about your push / turn / sliding valve mechanism but have one common part which makes them work with ONE interface.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:33 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:51 pm
On the excel it shows Valve 4 usea adapter 1 - I think this is wrong, valve 4 is the one that does not need an adapter , and adapter 1 is the special Duotone a few tenths of a mm different diameter.
Valve 4 (Cabrinha, Elev8 and North) will need an adapter depending on the pump you have.

I'll give you an example. Get this pump and try to inflate a valve 4 based kite.

https://www.decathlon.com/products/camp ... -pump-52-l

(I have this pump. It doesn't fit very well on valve 4 and instead of forcing the hose to enter the valve, I'd rather use the adapter)

but I understood your point. The image shown on my spreadsheet for the adapter is not good. It's a kind of "recursive adapter" :lol: when I should have illustrated just the tip of the hose (the right side of the adapter)

In fact, the only "no adapter" valve is Boston. Just a bare tube with the correct diameter should be enough, but a hose with a slightly conical tip helps a lot (an adapter) :wink:

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:48 am

purdyd wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:58 am
If you buy a duotone pump, the bayonet at the end of the hose will work with duotone and mini Boston valves.

So in my case duotone and slingshot and I have friends with Cabrinha. All good.

But as we found out the hard way, the valve adapter for a f-one wing would not work with the duotone hose bayonet mount.

And my wmdg pump hose bayonet is too thick to attach to the duotone valve.

So maybe it is the pump and adapter manufacturers that need to get their act together,
The valve rotates clockwise to open and counter clockwise to close. So as you twist the hose counterclockwise to remove the hose, it closes the valve.

So the inner ring has to rotate along with the hose.
I get the feeling it rotates clockwise, but not back far enough. I'll check closer next time. Friend is having a winter sleep now.

Still I think a good valve shouldn't have those kinds of problems.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:26 am

As said before, pumps almost every single one, comes with bayonet at the end
Stdpump.jpg
Stdpump.jpg (8.85 KiB) Viewed 450 times

A kitesurfer borrowed my pump the other day, and I asked which connector he needed - noone he said he just plugged the bayonet on and twisted to lock :thumb:

Boston always needs an adapter.
Good thing though, it's the most common adapter (apart from the beach ball tiny one) this big conical one.

But now I can understand only some type 4 valves fit?
If so, a new type must be defined.

And no sorry I can't remember his kite brand...

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”