Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

help me with wetsuit sizing

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: help me with wetsuit sizing

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:18 pm

Agree with others, find a shop, they can help you much better, even order the rare "Tall" models, and even if they don't fit, it's not your problem.

If one is okay, remember to buy it in the shop and don't mind it is a bit more costly, it is worth every penny :thumb:

Later if you know exactly which model you want, you could buy online.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
pb (Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:01 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

pb
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2022
Weight: 70-75 kg
Local Beach: Žnjan, Split, Croatia
Gear: none yet

Postby pb » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:01 pm

yeah, i'm preparing myself for winter surfing, so i still have alot time to research.
i'm gonna take advice from you guys and try some suits in my local shops and take it from there.

sucks to be built like me, i always have trouble finding right size :)

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020/21/22/ Orbits

Postby Blackened » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:52 am

pb wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:01 pm
yeah, i'm preparing myself for winter surfing, so i still have alot time to research.
i'm gonna take advice from you guys and try some suits in my local shops and take it from there.

sucks to be built like me, i always have trouble finding right size :)
As you're kiting in cold weather, tight over baggy. It's much, much warmer. I learnt this the hard way by getting thick, cheap ill-fitting suits for years. If it's easy to get into, you're in the wrong suit. For perspective, my cheap 5/4 was much colder and restrictive than my tight insulated mid-range 3/2. Never again.

Also, as I didn't see it mentioned, the seams matter. Personally, I don't use top end suits for blind stitched / liquid sealed seams, but you'll need at least taped seams in cold water. As someone mentioned good wetsuits don't always last as long as cheap ones, but they're extremely worth it. If you don't like cold, don't cheap out.

https://surfing-waves.com/equipment/wet ... tching.htm - If you're interested in types of seams.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
pb (Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:55 pm)

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:09 am

As said before, try to find a shop where you try on different suits. I'm 6'-2", 200 lbs.(92kg) and evidently I have a different body shape than most. I ordered an XL 4/3 from an online shop and it was extremely tight in the upper body in that it was pulling down on my shoulders and upwards on my crotch. Very uncomfortable. After trying two and shipping them back I went to a XXL which fits quite nicely.
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post:
pb (Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:55 pm)

pb
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2022
Weight: 70-75 kg
Local Beach: Žnjan, Split, Croatia
Gear: none yet

Postby pb » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:54 pm

so i got my hands on ISURUS TI EVADE 4.3 hooded, chest zip winter wetsuit.
size LTS
that is size for tall-slim people and not many manufacturers (if any except ISURUS) produce that size.
got it from fellow forum user nixmatters
suit is barely used.
he shipped it from Germany to me in Croatia for really more then fair price.

so, due to my unusual build, (tall and very slim) i didnt expect suit to fit so damn well, because more or less nothing fits me well.
this suit did, it's like second skin, it is very comfy and very very stretchy despite being thick winter suit, movement is not restricted at all.
looks like ISURUS is really true to their size chart:
https://surfisurus.com/products/ti-evad ... ed-wetsuit
it is made from Yamamoto Neoprene made in Japan, that gives it that stretchy-ness.
it also have some special thermal lining that Yamamoto makes they call it "Titanium lining"
couple of minutes in suit made me sweat like pig, temps here in Croatia are already over 17C / 63F during day.
can't wait colder days to try this suit in its natural enviroment.

my "specs" are
height: 194cm | 6'4''
weight: 74kg | 163lbs
chest: 94cm | 37''

once again thanks nix.
These users thanked the author pb for the post:
nixmatters (Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:09 pm)

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:46 pm

What you seem to need is in the size-range that is frequently 60-80 percent off of original retail... If you don't mind a brand-new suit that is one or two seasons old....

dirk8037
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: xRide, Evo, Boost2, Religion MK8, Alpine
Has thanked: 0

Postby dirk8037 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:17 pm

I have bougth my last 2 online and it worked quite well, although i am quite regular with 192cm by 90kg.
I think bogy lenth and if availablel torso length is quite important since you crouch and then the back bends.
So 2 cm too short with a back zip will be a pain, without and a good flexible neo it will be still ok. With 194, 186-190cm in the size chart would be from my point of view worse than 76-84kg.
Legs an arms tend to be only a problem if you are musculus and can not pull them up enough.
To wide used to cause an air pocket in the lower back. With a harnes its not an issue
My ONeil Psycho One 4/3 XL (4-5 y old) is due the flexible neo not too wide.
The ONeils shorty in LT I just got and despite the 193 max length I thought it was to short (very nice in width though)
but in the water it turned out to be fine. I found that now the sizing of thme seems more fine tuned that yerars ago.
Be aware that surf suits have often a different cut then Windsurf and Kite suits since movement and position are different.

If you do not have a shop then maybe some school that rents something to get a feeling or make shure that you can send back after trying on.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun May 01, 2022 3:23 am

pb wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:54 pm
so i got my hands on ISURUS TI EVADE 4.3 hooded, chest zip winter wetsuit.
size LTS
that is size for tall-slim people and not many manufacturers (if any except ISURUS) produce that size.
got it from fellow forum user nixmatters
suit is barely used.
he shipped it from Germany to me in Croatia for really more then fair price.

so, due to my unusual build, (tall and very slim) i didnt expect suit to fit so damn well, because more or less nothing fits me well.
this suit did, it's like second skin, it is very comfy and very very stretchy despite being thick winter suit, movement is not restricted at all.
looks like ISURUS is really true to their size chart:
https://surfisurus.com/products/ti-evad ... ed-wetsuit
it is made from Yamamoto Neoprene made in Japan, that gives it that stretchy-ness.
it also have some special thermal lining that Yamamoto makes they call it "Titanium lining"
couple of minutes in suit made me sweat like pig, temps here in Croatia are already over 17C / 63F during day.
can't wait colder days to try this suit in its natural enviroment.

my "specs" are
height: 194cm | 6'4''
weight: 74kg | 163lbs
chest: 94cm | 37''

once again thanks nix.
Isuse, 194 visok i 74 kile?

Samo sam ja ovdje iz Hrvatske, ali zivim vani. Ako sam doma, tj kod punice na Peljescu, znam biti u Vignju. Mozda ove godine u kolovozu..

D.

PS
Guys, it is quite a task to find a good wettie in Croatia. This is due to non surf conditions there hence most shops have a spear fishing gear etc.

If getting there for kiting, best is to bring your wettie.
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
nixmatters (Sat May 07, 2022 5:57 pm)

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Sun May 01, 2022 2:47 pm

I am 190 and 74-80kgs and O’Neill MT has served me extremely well over all the years. I tried a few others as O’Neil did not have stock for quite a while but I had to return them all as they all did not fit as well as the O’Neill does. I had to wait until their new delivery came through a few Months ago.

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Sat May 07, 2022 4:30 am

If you're really unusually shaped 7TILL8 makes custom suits.

I'm almost a perfect size L for Feral and like those a lot

Return to “Kitesurfing”