Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best kite that works in mountain and water?

Forum for kitesurfers
Ypi
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2022
Gear: Flysurfer peak 3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best kite that works in mountain and water?

Postby Ypi » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:13 pm

What is the best kite that works in mountain and water? I think that it should be closed foil kite with 5th safety line system.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: F-one Bandit 12 7m, 10m, Duotone Juice 13m
Nomad Carbon C Wave 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best kite that works in mountain and water?

Postby andylc » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:31 pm

Hyperlink??

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:39 am

Little cloud pelican mk2?

nate76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Shaman, Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Postby nate76 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:47 am

I was going to say the LC Pelican as well.

Smooth power delivery that's not unnerving in gusts, maintains power while looping tightly which good for climbing mountains, no stiffeners means it packs down small/smash it any bag and don't worry about it. Really hassel free kite with good glide. Makes a nice foil kite on water.

There might be better performers out there in specific disciplines, but the Peli is my favorite all-around kite for serious mountain exploring and water riding combined.

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:30 am

If you want a kite for the mountains and hydrofoiling a Flysurfer Peak5 is a fantastic and very safe choice. 5th line system for total safety on the mountain and a quick and easy packaway and set up. Takes up very little space in a backpack, you could have two sizes of Peak5 in the same space as a twin skin kite. The Peak kites are also extremely durable and quite inexpensive.
Nothing beats the performance of a Peak5 and surf foil on the water, the drift is insane and it's amazing how small you can go and have fun :D

If you're wanting to use a TT, jump or go for straight line performance on the water then probably a twin skin foil kite like the Soul would suit you for mountains and water.

Ypi
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2022
Gear: Flysurfer peak 3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Ypi » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:19 pm

Thank you for good options
andylc wrote:Hyperlink??
Hyperlink is a kite I could buy. It would be nice to have 4 and 5 safety line system. I think it works well in water, but i'm not sure how it works in open mode.
nate76 wrote: I was going to say the LC Pelican as well.

Smooth power delivery that's not unnerving in gusts, maintains power while looping tightly which good for climbing mountains, no stiffeners means it packs down small/smash it any bag and don't worry about it. Really hassel free kite with good glide. Makes a nice foil kite on water.

There might be better performers out there in specific disciplines, but the Peli is my favorite all-around kite for serious mountain exploring and water riding combined.
Hmm. I haven't heard about LC Pelican before. I think that it isn't so famous in my country. I watched videos and tighty looping looks very nice, but I think that i will not so good for jumping. Thanks for the information.
drsurf wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:30 am
If you want a kite for the mountains and hydrofoiling a Flysurfer Peak5 is a fantastic and very safe choice. 5th line system for total safety on the mountain and a quick and easy packaway and set up. Takes up very little space in a backpack, you could have two sizes of Peak5 in the same space as a twin skin kite. The Peak kites are also extremely durable and quite inexpensive.
Nothing beats the performance of a Peak5 and surf foil on the water, the drift is insane and it's amazing how small you can go and have fun :D

If you're wanting to use a TT, jump or go for straight line performance on the water then probably a twin skin foil kite like the Soul would suit you for mountains and water.
I have started kite with peak 3. It's true that it takes up very little space and its easy to use in mountains. It worked in snow rain also. The reason why I would not want to buy inflatable kites is because Peak was so small and safe to use. But the peak wasn't enough good for jumping.

It is not easy to choose first kite, because there is lot of kites and I want use it everywhere. It could be best to buy one kite for water jumping and other kite to mountains, but I dont want too many kites.

Thanks for the replies. Further information is still welcome

nate76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Shaman, Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Postby nate76 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:58 am

Hi Ypi, just remember that the better a kite is for jumping, the less preferable it will be for gusty mountain conditions.

Picking a kite that is good for mountains will then typically be a bit of a compromise in jumpinng performance. For example, the Gin Spirit is an excellent jumping kite and very stable - but the higher lift makes it less enjoyble in more technical mountain conditions for me personally.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:10 am

I use the Flysurfer Soul and Gin Spirit both in the mountains on snow and on mountain lakes. Both kites are excellent for jumping and stable. Both are 4 line kites, but I have not had the need for a 5th line.

I guess it depends on your needs in the mountains. If you are scaling peaks with a kite, then a single skin (Peak, Shaman, Explore) is your best bet for safety and weight. If you are parking and looking to jump and glide then you should look at medium aspect closed-cell kites (Soul, Spirit, Hyperlink).

The Soul is by far the most popular kite on the snow where I kite, especially the 21m as it is so perfect for gliding.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:34 am

nate76 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:58 am
Hi Ypi, just remember that the better a kite is for jumping, the less preferable it will be for gusty mountain conditions.

Picking a kite that is good for mountains will then typically be a bit of a compromise in jumpinng performance. For example, the Gin Spirit is an excellent jumping kite and very stable - but the higher lift makes it less enjoyble in more technical mountain conditions for me personally.

So true, he/she will have to compromise a lot, you can not get both.

Peaks are next to nothing in gusty unstable wind, and also crumbles down to a tiny ball on the 5th line, so for mountains, perfect.

Same on water small sizes are next to nothing for carving fun on flat water, or fun in small or big waves.

But jumping?
Forget it :o

So you must compromise and find a jumping kite which isn't too useless in gusty mountain wind.

8) Peter

RomeUtah
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Tropical beaches of UT, snow and sand
Favorite Beaches: Rufus, LB, Pismo
Style: straight air to tomohawk
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cab, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards, liquid force foil

Postby RomeUtah » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:22 pm

Skip the foreplay, get a soul. Unless you are summiting to ski down, the kite kinda does it all. How ever if you are looking to summit, kill power and ski down, def do not get a soul

Return to “Kitesurfing”