Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

A-Roam vs A-Rise?

Forum for kitesurfers
flying doctor
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

A-Roam vs A-Rise?

Postby flying doctor » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:27 pm

Looking for a side by side comparison from someone who's been able to test these kites back to back.

I've had the chance to try the A-Roam 10m, foiling for an hour in winds around 15-18 knts, far more wind than necessary but I was pleasantly surprised at how manageable it was. Great drift and turning.
Next day I took it out on a TT in winds ranging from 17-25 knots. Not the highest jumps but so easy to do kiteloops because of the easy recovery.

I can imagine the Rise getting more lift and hangtime at the expense of drift but I'd like to hear exactly what the trade off is and how it behaves in waves and on foil. I understand the Roam will be better in these circumstances but by just how much?

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Hydrofoil mostly
Gear: Lift 170 Fish & 110 wingsets, 32" strut
Ocean Rodeo & BRM kites
Brand Affiliation: Comox Kite Repair

Re: A-Roam vs A-Rise?

Postby GregK » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:04 pm

I own both, 10m A-Roam and 10m A-Rise. The latter has certainly re-ignited my interest in and enjoyment of TT riding and boosting, but I've yet to test it out in waves on a surfboard or in super-light air on foil.

My guess would be that the majority of riders who have tested both in all 3 riding styles would say the Roam is the better all-arounder, but I'd expect wide personal bias. So I'd say go demo the A-Rise and see for yourself, since you'll know better than anyone here on the forum what you like or don't like.
These users thanked the author GregK for the post (total 2):
flying doctor (Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:48 pm) • Peter_Frank (Fri May 06, 2022 4:51 am)
Rating: 13.33%

flying doctor
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby flying doctor » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:50 pm

Good point Greg, I hope to get my hands on one soon. Owning both seems like a great solution btw :thumb:

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:01 pm

The two biggest differences I have found from riding both are these two things:
1. Power in turns. The Rise pivots around it's wingtip with a lot of power. The Roam turns around a point somewhere in the canopy with little power. Powered kite loop vs. changing kite direction on a wave without getting pulled off.
2. Position in the wind window. The Rise sits at the edge, the Roam well back from the edge.

...my two cents.

Return to “Kitesurfing”