Forum for kitesurfers
Kiterisland1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: Naish, airush, slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Single Strut + Foil Range Question

Postby Kiterisland1 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:55 pm

I currently ride a 10m Airush Ultra v2 starting in 9-10kts no problem on foil, and I can still ride out gusts up to about 20kts but gets quite difficult in those gusts. Impressive range.

I have the opportunity to buy a 12m v4 and am curious what you guys think. Is it worth going to a 12m from a 10 for better low end? My thoughts are I might gain 1kt on the low end but loose quite a bit of top end which isn’t ideal. My spot is gusty and rarely ever a steady 8-10kts, more like 8-15 or 10-18.

Appreciate any feedback.

1234567Simon
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Re: Single Strut + Foil Range Question

Postby 1234567Simon » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:06 pm

German Guy 65kg told me for Egypt ocean thermical winds he is using a 12m ultra.... Normaly only 10meter. It seems to be the difference between 8kn and 6kn.

That means: super steady light Wind, Just Not enough for 10meters, IT IS possible to save those days with a 12m.

Disclaimer: newer saw him Foil
Never been to Egypt.
I do Not know how He measured Wind Speeds.

My Personal Experience:
My core section Wave Kite 8meter falls down below 8 kN. I can Not get Up on the Foil at some Point.... A friend has a 10meter Xlite. With that I can get Up at 7kn. At 6kn, you really have to pay Attention, that it does Not Fall down. At 6kn I can Not get Up.
Maybe with 12meter would be possible....
These users thanked the author 1234567Simon for the post:
Kiterisland1 (Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:12 am)
Rating: 6.67%

elmarco
Medium Poster

Postby elmarco » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:13 pm

Kiterisland1 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:55 pm
I currently ride a 10m Airush Ultra v2 starting in 9-10kts no problem on foil, and I can still ride out gusts up to about 20kts but gets quite difficult in those gusts. Impressive range.

I have the opportunity to buy a 12m v4 and am curious what you guys think. Is it worth going to a 12m from a 10 for better low end? My thoughts are I might gain 1kt on the low end but loose quite a bit of top end which isn’t ideal. My spot is gusty and rarely ever a steady 8-10kts, more like 8-15 or 10-18.

Appreciate any feedback.
If you have gusty conditions (I have the same), not much point in a 12m for foiling.
I only use a 10m Ultra where I am. I had a 12m in the past, didn't find myself using it at all. I would use the 12 if I was somewhere that got a steady 8-9 knots.
Only time locally (gusty), I'd suggest a 12m is a beginner, or someone who just can never quite figure out how to milk power out the kite.
These users thanked the author elmarco for the post:
Kiterisland1 (Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:17 am)
Rating: 6.67%

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Hydrofoil mostly
Gear: Lift 170 Fish & 110 wingsets, 32" strut
Ocean Rodeo & BRM kites
Brand Affiliation: Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:31 pm

If you want to extend your kite range both low and high end, go for an Ocean Rodeo Aluula Roam. Super light weight provides the low end, 3-struts and stiff Aluula frame gives them awesome top end.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:54 pm

What is your weight? What size foil do you use? For my weight (70 kg) at my beach, I see no reason to use anything bigger than a 10, and a 10 is sort of a specialty kite for those unusually steady light wind days. As kites get bigger, they turn slower and generate less pull to get you up on a foil, so there is a point where you get minimal incremental gain from going bigger.

Where exactly that inflection point occurs varies by specific kite, your weight, and your location. I would say roughly 9m-10m for me, above that there is so little to gain that it isn’t worth owning.

If you don’t have many kites, I suspect you would gain more from either a smaller kite or a different foil than you would from a 12m, but again, highly dependent on weight and such.
These users thanked the author tmcfarla for the post (total 2):
Kiterisland1 (Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:27 am) • rnelias (Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:28 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

Kiterisland1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: Naish, airush, slingshot

Postby Kiterisland1 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:26 am

tmcfarla wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:54 pm
What is your weight? What size foil do you use? For my weight (70 kg) at my beach, I see no reason to use anything bigger than a 10, and a 10 is sort of a specialty kite for those unusually steady light wind days. As kites get bigger, they turn slower and generate less pull to get you up on a foil, so there is a point where you get minimal incremental gain from going bigger.

Where exactly that inflection point occurs varies by specific kite, your weight, and your location. I would say roughly 9m-10m for me, above that there is so little to gain that it isn’t worth owning.

If you don’t have many kites, I suspect you would gain more from either a smaller kite or a different foil than you would from a 12m, but again, highly dependent on weight and such.
This makes sense. The smaller the kite the more powerful the power spike is to a point. I agree I find that point to be around 9m-10m. I’m 225lbs or 100kg about. I can get going even when the 10m ultra is starting to fall out of the sky. At 8-10kts two or three loops and I’m up. Thanks for the advice, I won’t be buying the 12m.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:56 am

A friend of mine had a 12m ultra. We could ride in maybe 8 knots and he could hold it (with a low volume foil) to maybe 18knots. He has a 9m ultra now.

The reason he sold it was that it would ride way beyond the relaunch wind strength so you could keep riding in maybe 6-7 knot lulls with apparent wind but as soon as you slowed there wasn't enough to keep it in the air and you couldn't relaunch it as soon as it got wet.

Windigo1
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:23 pm

I have a 12m Ultra with a big wing like the 633 I can get started in about 7 knots and ride through lulls of 6 knots with some occasional pumping. I only take it if the wind is going to be below 10 knots most of the time. The 9m get me going in 8 knots but it's easier remain powered on the 12m when things go down. I can hold the 12m in 20 knots I'm 80 kg but it's no fun in 20 knots lots of flapping. On my 12m Eleveight RS 20 knots is much more comfortable. I'm happy to have both but I prefer riding the 9m if it's close.

bkkite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay (Long Island)
Favorite Beaches: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 7/9/12/15. Nobile NHP and Nobile split surf / foil board. Slingshot hover glide foil

Postby bkkite » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:37 pm

I'm in the opposite position. I have a 12m Core xlite single strut, and I'm debating on whether I should move to a 10m, and whether I'd loose my low end. I can ride the core in 6-10knots range, but was getting overpowered as it picked up. Over time I've just learned to hold down more power on the foil, so I'm getting more and more comfortable on the 12m. My next size down is a Nexus 2 9m 3 strut kite... so I guess the 10m would be quite close to overlapping with it. As I write this out, I guess i'm leaning towards staying with the 12m. I'm 95kg and riding an Apollo 60 wing, which is 1120cm2

rnelias
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: F-One Bandit 12m, Duotone Rebe 9m, Dice 7m, Alpha 8m, Soul 12/15m, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD 2019, Mystic Majestic

Postby rnelias » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:30 pm

Just to add some data for reference

I'm 72kg and usually can ride on my 850cm^2 wing (F-One IC6) from 8-18kt using a 9m Boxer

I agree with @tmcfarla... you'd probably gain more range by changing your wing than using a bigger kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”