Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Airush Lithium Progression SPS V3

Postby BloodDiamond » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:55 am

Hi,

I have an Airush Lithium Progression V3. Beside the different construction and bridle setup, is there a notable difference in how the kite flies/behaves in comparison to the 'original' Lithium with the load frame?

cbulota
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pinnaroo Point, Western Australia
Style: Freeride/hydrofoil/surfing
Gear: a lot of it

Re: Airush Lithium Progression SPS V3

Postby cbulota » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:42 am

Hi BloodDiamond

The 2019 Lithium Progression V3 was the last Lithium Progression kite ever made and has been discontinued since 2020. As a matter of fact, the entire "progression" product lineup (Progression kites, progression bars, progression twin tips, progression harnesses, etc.) is discontinued since 2021.

The idea behind the Progression line from Airush was to offer very beginner friendly products at a lower price point (using more affordable materials and more cost-effective production) to encourage beginners to get into the sport.

Although this was a great idea and those products were popular amongst learners, they weren't offering much performance for riders passed the beginner stage.

So to answer your question, yes there is a quite a big difference between a Progression V3 kite and the Latest lithium kites, such as the Lithium's V11, V12 and V13.

The most noticeable differences are with the aspect ratio and the diameter of the leading edge and struts. non-Progression Lithium's have a higher aspect ratio (better for jumping). Progression kites have a very low aspect ratio (much more stable, more forgiving for piloting mistakes, and easier to relaunch) and also the thick leading edge and struts diameter make it slower, more predictable and easier to relaunch.

If you can, I would suggest you try the latest Lithium V13 (which is an amazing kite in my opinion!) and see for yourself. You will notice the newer non-progression Lithium's fly faster through the wind window, offer better upwind performance and greater boosting / hangtime (especially the V13).

Lithium V12 and V13 no longer have a load frame and come with a more simple (cheaper) carry bag. This allows for a lower price point for the customer while offering excellent performance for both beginner, intermediate and advanced riders.

I hope this helps

Christian - KiteBud

BloodDiamond
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Liquid Force
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airush Lithium Progression SPS V3

Postby BloodDiamond » Tue May 03, 2022 2:31 pm

Thank you for the advice Christian.