Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Liquid Force Fish w/Foil Fish
Dakine Pyro Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

2022 North Navigator Bar front-line swivel

Postby KitingPolak » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:32 pm

I purchased a 2022 North Navigator Bar and the front line (un)swivel on it is atrocious. Anyone have this bar? If so, can you comment if it loosens up over time?

My very amateur review of the bar is here if anyone is interested. https://youtu.be/tU4ZBfg9nXA Unfortunately it's difficult to objectively show just how much torque is required to unwind the lines.

lifeinthehood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 72 kg
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Freeride
Gear: BRM Cloud 2.8/3.7/4.8/6.2. Ocean Rodeo A-Roam 8m. Cloud CCS. Kanaha Shapes 42"/MFC 1000/200/92cm. Slingshot Hopecraft/PFH657/325/102cm.

Re: 2022 North Navigator Bar front-line swivel

Postby lifeinthehood » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:09 pm

I have the 2021 and I don’t think they changed the swivel. It’s not like effortless but I don’t think it’s that difficult. Perhaps you’re used to a bar with ceramic ball bearings? Otherwise, if it’s really that difficult, perhaps you got a lemon? Can you take it back to the shop for an exchange?

KitingPolak
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot KeyHD 2010 10
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Boardriding Maui Cloud 1st Gen 17
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Liquid Force Solo v2 2016 6.5
RRD Obsession Mk9 2017 12
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Dakine Pyro Harness

Postby KitingPolak » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:49 pm

lifeinthehood wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:09 pm
I have the 2021 and I don’t think they changed the swivel. It’s not like effortless but I don’t think it’s that difficult. Perhaps you’re used to a bar with ceramic ball bearings? Otherwise, if it’s really that difficult, perhaps you got a lemon? Can you take it back to the shop for an exchange?
Thanks for the reply. I've tried a few bars that have manual swivel... a Naish bar just last weekend, and none have been as difficult to untwist. Purchased it at Real; they didn't want to return or exchange because I used it. They said it was considered normal. If there's no fix then I'm going to get rid of it and get a bar with auto untwist. These things are so damn expensive....

lifeinthehood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 72 kg
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Freeride
Gear: BRM Cloud 2.8/3.7/4.8/6.2. Ocean Rodeo A-Roam 8m. Cloud CCS. Kanaha Shapes 42"/MFC 1000/200/92cm. Slingshot Hopecraft/PFH657/325/102cm.

Postby lifeinthehood » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:04 pm

KitingPolak wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:49 pm
lifeinthehood wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:09 pm
Thanks for the reply. I've tried a few bars that have manual swivel... a Naish bar just last weekend, and none have been as difficult to untwist. Purchased it at Real; they didn't want to return or exchange because I used it. They said it was considered normal. If there's no fix then I'm going to get rid of it and get a bar with auto untwist. These things are so damn expensive....
This is the first time I’ve seen this reported as an issue. Maybe it’s just new equipment tightness? Try it a few more times and see if it loosens up. Let us know. I plan on getting a new bar for 2023 so it’d be good to know if this is a real issue.

Might also want to contact North. At the very least they’d probably want to know if there’s a quality control issue.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:06 pm

A nice thing about 10 and 12m line sections is that you can go from low to high V by just inserting a suitable SS ring at the handshake join of the two line sections. Assuming the swivel loosens a little with use that bar would be fine for me. A better swivel of course is a must for auto untwist but personally I don’t like that design philosophy. Guess it depends on the individual and style etc……. Sounds like you might prefer an autoswivel?

PS thought your review was well executed! Auto untwist needs two hole bar dugout or a dugout that fits the centre line tubing. (Go naked and roll your own!!!!)
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
KitingPolak (Sun May 01, 2022 5:22 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sun May 01, 2022 5:12 am

Give me a fucking break. Get off mommy and daddy's deck and go kiting.
These users thanked the author alford for the post:
windsuks (Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:52 am)

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun May 01, 2022 12:11 pm

I have not seen the bar, but you could try spraying marine PTFE lubricant spray into the swivel.

https://www.myconsumables.com/product/p ... V6EALw_wcB

Wolkster
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Galveston, Tx
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui
Hood River, Oregon
Tariff, Spain
Style: Free rider
Gear: Naish, Crazy Fly, Core

Postby Wolkster » Sun May 01, 2022 3:15 pm

I agree the swivel sucks on this bar, I have had a couple and they are all stiff to untwist. Somehow it has a built in line twist multiplier, you loop the kite one time, and you end up with 2 full rotations of untwist to do?

It took the swivel apart to see if it could be improved, but the way it’s designed it has a C-shaped plastic thrust washer that with thrust load + rotation tries to open the the C-shape washer makes more friction. Coupled with the fact that it is just plastic rubbing on plastic not great bearing combo. A little PTFE spray would help but it won’t be easy to get the lube where it needs to go.

I would say it’s the only negative on the bar though, love the flag out system, it works every time!
These users thanked the author Wolkster for the post:
KitingPolak (Sun May 01, 2022 5:22 pm)

KitingPolak
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot KeyHD 2010 10
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Boardriding Maui Cloud 1st Gen 17
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Liquid Force Solo v2 2016 6.5
RRD Obsession Mk9 2017 12
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Dakine Pyro Harness

Postby KitingPolak » Sun May 01, 2022 5:20 pm

Herman wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:06 pm
A nice thing about 10 and 12m line sections is that you can go from low to high V by just inserting a suitable SS ring at the handshake join of the two line sections. ..........

Sounds like you might prefer an autoswivel?

PS thought your review was well executed! Auto untwist needs two hole bar dugout or a dugout that fits the centre line tubing. (Go naked and roll your own!!!!)
Interesting point about the high-V mod, I do not have any high-V kites so it didn't even come to mind. I'm used to not having to worry about unwinding the front lines much. Rarely had to mess with them with the LF bars I have. I demoed a Naish Torque bar last weekend and even though it didn't have autoswivel it was much easier to untwist the lines than on the North.

Thanks for the feedback on the review; it was a single take and I don't have the PC HW to edit even if I wanted to.

Any suggestions on a source for naked bar/swivels that could be setup for autoswivel or were you thinking something fully bespoke?
Wolkster wrote: I agree the swivel sucks on this bar, I have had a couple and they are all stiff to untwist. Somehow it has a built in line twist multiplier, you loop the kite one time, and you end up with 2 full rotations of untwist to do?

It took the swivel apart to see if it could be improved, but the way it’s designed it has a C-shaped plastic thrust washer that with thrust load + rotation tries to open the the C-shape washer makes more friction. Coupled with the fact that it is just plastic rubbing on plastic not great bearing combo. A little PTFE spray would help but it won’t be easy to get the lube where it needs to go.

I would say it’s the only negative on the bar though, love the flag out system, it works every time!
"twist multiplier"... love it - that's representative of what my experience with it feels like. Thanks for the explanation of the swivel internals. Indeed it doesn't sound like there's much that can be done to improve it.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sun May 01, 2022 6:09 pm

I wouldn’t be without the auto untwist now that I have it on the Reedin bar. If manufacturers are going to stick with PU covered centre lines there doesn’t seem much excuse for going full out and doing automatic untwisting as well.
These users thanked the author andylc for the post:
alford (Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:24 am)

Return to “Kitesurfing”