Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Liquid Force Fish w/Foil Fish
Dakine Pyro Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2022 North Navigator Bar front-line swivel

Postby KitingPolak » Tue May 10, 2022 7:56 pm

andylc wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 6:09 pm
I wouldn’t be without the auto untwist now that I have it on the Reedin bar. If manufacturers are going to stick with PU covered centre lines there doesn’t seem much excuse for going full out and doing automatic untwisting as well.
How do you like the Reedin? Looks like the '21 can be had for price in the lower-end of the spectrum https://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp ... ontrol-bar

There's a Slingshot bar at the same price that also has auto unswivel.

Anyone know if there's a list of bars that have auto-unswivel or close-enough to it where the task is not something that one has to actively keep doing? Would like to read up on some reviews to avoid making another mistake.

dewwy
Medium Poster
Style: Freestyle/Wakestyle
Gear: -

Postby dewwy » Tue May 10, 2022 8:09 pm

KitingPolak wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:56 pm
There's a Slingshot bar at the same price that also has auto unswivel.
Yea Slingshot, Reedin, Lacuna, Vantage and a few other brands use the same QR. Reedin has different centre lines, but the ceramic ball bearings should be same. All designed by majestik.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Tue May 10, 2022 9:45 pm

I really like the Reedin bar. Everything works well and comfortable grip. Seems to be all good quality.

foxzone
Rare Poster
Local Beach: lake michigan
Favorite Beaches: hatteras
Style: freeride
Gear: XR6's

Postby foxzone » Wed May 11, 2022 1:08 am

I have 2021 north navigator bar and swivel works effortlessly for me.
I have extra core s3 bar for sale if you want one with auto untwist.

gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby gibsonandpickett » Wed May 11, 2022 5:18 am

North have anew auto untwist bar coming out shortly. Saw one at my local where Marc Jacobs was kiting. Looks awesome.

mickeeH
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 71
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Perth
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo

Postby mickeeH » Thu May 12, 2022 3:14 am

Thanks for the review, good to see some honest thoughts on this bar.
I’ve recently purchased the 2022 bar, but unused at this point.

Pigtails - mine came with universal pigtails, pretty sure that is standard, you should be able to just swap the front line/back line pigtails to suit any kite.

12/10m sections - personally, i really like this feature. It’s designed to give confidence in flagging out in any marginal situation, so you don’t second guess yourself, as it is much simpler to reload and get going again without the bar flying all the way up to the kite. Plus the ability to use short lines is great.

Line loop when trimmed - hadn’t seen this before, it does look concerning. Is the looped line the flagging line? Does the kite still flag out smoothly from when fully trimmed like that? Gonna have a play with it.

Front manual untwist - had heard mixed reports on this before. I do a lot of looping, and also would like easy manual untwist, not so interested in auto-untwist. You seem to be able to untwist it easily at about 5:58 mark, just turning the power line above the bar - is that because it has no tension? Will have to see how I go with this when I try it out.
These users thanked the author mickeeH for the post:
KitingPolak (Sun May 15, 2022 12:57 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Sun May 15, 2022 12:40 am

I would try some lube, as my 2021 & 2022 bars are both smooth and v easy to untwist

KitingPolak
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot KeyHD 2010 10
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Boardriding Maui Cloud 1st Gen 17
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Liquid Force Solo v2 2016 6.5
RRD Obsession Mk9 2017 12
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Liquid Force Fish w/Foil Fish
Dakine Pyro Harness

Postby KitingPolak » Sun May 15, 2022 12:56 am

mickeeH wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:14 am
Pigtails - mine came with universal pigtails, pretty sure that is standard, you should be able to just swap the front line/back line pigtails to suit any kite.
Yes, I ended up doing that but prefer the pigtails that have both a loop and knot so they can be hooked up either way. Probably doesn't impact others as much as me, since I happen to own a bunch of different kite brands.
mickeeH wrote:
12/10m sections - personally, i really like this feature. It’s designed to give confidence in flagging out in any marginal situation, so you don’t second guess yourself, as it is much simpler to reload and get going again without the bar flying all the way up to the kite. Plus the ability to use short lines is great.
Hmmm, none of the bars I've used will caused the bar to recede all the way to the kite upon ejection. It was pointed out to me in this thread that the short lines are good for surf or for setting up a high-V configuration. Where I kite the wind is usually pretty high so I'm usually at max line length or with 3m extensions.
mickeeH wrote:
Line loop when trimmed - hadn’t seen this before, it does look concerning. Is the looped line the flagging line? Does the kite still flag out smoothly from when fully trimmed like that? Gonna have a play with it.
I didn't try to eject with the loop in place. I got rid of the bar so definitely check when you have a chance. Probability of that loop forming is low but it would be good to know what happens if it does.
mickeeH wrote:
Front manual untwist - had heard mixed reports on this before. I do a lot of looping, and also would like easy manual untwist, not so interested in auto-untwist. You seem to be able to untwist it easily at about 5:58 mark, just turning the power line above the bar - is that because it has no tension? Will have to see how I go with this when I try it out.
Yes, when under tension it was more difficult to untwist. The other Navigator that they had on the shelf didn't seem as bad as the one I got but I didn't test it under tension.

Thanks for your feedback and kite on!
These users thanked the author KitingPolak for the post:
mickeeH (Sun May 15, 2022 2:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Is Navigator bar standard with 4 same length lines?

Postby rnelias » Sun May 15, 2022 11:32 pm

Folks, I've got a second hand Reach from a friend that came with this bar (2021). Last week I had to use it with a kite from a different brand and noticed the kite fying like crap and stalling too much. After some trim adjust it flown fine. The front line swivel was free enough and easily undoing after loops but my question regardaging the lines length came today after checking the bar (I should have done it before using the bar :P )

it's normal lines shrink after some usage, as dirty get into line fibers, but I wouldn't expect the steering lines so short. They're already set to the "light power" knot within the floaters, thus, they're already in the longest configuration.

It's not a big issue and, of course, I can easily fix it using the trim but, anyway, I'll use some pigtails to make the lines equal again.

My concern in using the pigtails is not mess the Reach's bridle set up. Therefore, I wanna ask you:

are the lines on Navigator bar supposed to be equal (like all other bars on the market)?
navigator-2021.jpg
Note the amount of trim I had to pull in order to make all lines equal length.

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Re: Is Navigator bar standard with 4 same length lines?

Postby magnusod » Mon May 16, 2022 11:33 am

rnelias wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 11:32 pm
Folks, I've got a second hand Reach from a friend that came with this bar (2021). Last week I had to use it with a kite from a different brand and noticed the kite fying like crap and stalling too much. After some trim adjust it flown fine. The front line swivel was free enough and easily undoing after loops but my question regardaging the lines length came today after checking the bar (I should have done it before using the bar :P )

it's normal lines shrink after some usage, as dirty get into line fibers, but I wouldn't expect the steering lines so short. They're already set to the "light power" knot within the floaters, thus, they're already in the longest configuration.

It's not a big issue and, of course, I can easily fix it using the trim but, anyway, I'll use some pigtails to make the lines equal again.

My concern in using the pigtails is not mess the Reach's bridle set up. Therefore, I wanna ask you:

are the lines on Navigator bar supposed to be equal (like all other bars on the market)?

navigator-2021.jpg

Note the amount of trim I had to pull in order to make all lines equal length.
It's the front lines that stretches as far as I know. This is quite common on many bars but many brands has also improved this by supplying higher grade lines. I'm pretty sure this video from the designer of the Navigator bar is valid for 2021. He goes through all the features and adjustments including adjusting the lines to be equal length.

Return to “Kitesurfing”