Rhodes, North coast (Greek island) advice

Forum for kitesurfers
athen
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Rhodes, North coast (Greek island) advice

Postby athen » Sun May 01, 2022 8:15 am

happy Sunday and happy May 1st to all! :D

I write you to ask if any of you know how the island of Rhodes in Greece works for kitesurfing?

my nephew (to me like a son) will be there from next week until October to work as a waiter in the area of THEOLOGOS in the North of the island.
He is independent in kitesurfing and he was wondering if while working he could kite freely every day in the afternoon between his work shifts?

do you know anything about it? He's a free rider and need no assistance, just wondering if there are free beaches in Theologos or nearby where he can kitesurfing without paying a school to go out or to have useless service such as storage, showers, etc. because living there for his work he needs nothing of that.
of course it is intended to be able to kitesurf in a safe spot (not to be killed just because they are beaches free from schools and perhaps dangerous)

any advice is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Re: Rhodes, North coast (Greek island) advice

Postby UKSurf » Sun May 01, 2022 12:15 pm

I went On holiday here a few years ago and did some windsurfing. Wind was very consistent on some beaches with thermals that seemed to switch on like clock work with a force 4 to 5 in the afternoon. From what i remember the beaches were quite small and very busy with tourists so landing and launching might be an issue. Wouldnt be surprised if kitesurfing was not heavily restricted on alot of beaches. The beaches i windsurfed from would be impossible and dangerous to launch a kite on given the size of the beach and the number of tourists sun bathing.
These users thanked the author UKSurf for the post:
athen (Sun May 01, 2022 7:59 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

athen
Medium Poster

Postby athen » Sun May 01, 2022 8:00 pm

thanks a lot for this reply.
not so amazing though, I guess that the island is full of tourists.
Hopefully there is a way to find a proper place and allowed along that coast
UKSurf wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 12:15 pm
I went On holiday here a few years ago and did some windsurfing. Wind was very consistent on some beaches with thermals that seemed to switch on like clock work with a force 4 to 5 in the afternoon. From what i remember the beaches were quite small and very busy with tourists so landing and launching might be an issue. Wouldnt be surprised if kitesurfing was not heavily restricted on alot of beaches. The beaches i windsurfed from would be impossible and dangerous to launch a kite on given the size of the beach and the number of tourists sun bathing.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Migrating to free style foiling
Gear: Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 6m
KauperXT Maverick 6M/8M + 11M Falcon
Airrush Ultra v3 5M
Slingshot ghost 4M
Core XR6 8M, XR5 10M /12M
Moses 633,679,671/ 91-101 mast / Groove Skate + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Sun May 01, 2022 8:29 pm

I am not sure what the rules are in regards to public beaches on the North side. I don’t think they will be happy to allow that in high season though.

I would personally ask a local kite school/spot owner for a long term friendly deal to be able to launch and land your kite (the kite school/spot I was at had lots of locals as well which suggest there are not many other/free alternatives)
The beaches are rocky so self launch/landing isn’t great and will wear your kite quickly. The beaches are also pretty narrow so I would say it’s not a really safe environment for self land/launch.
Even if you are an experienced kiter having someone to look out for you there isn’t a bad thing. The wind is side-shore and it’s easy to get dragged far out on sea if you eg have an equipment failure or the wind just drops.

Note that I have been only there in October last year at Lalysos beach so not a super expert.

duddd
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Flag Beach
Gear: wtb

Postby duddd » Wed May 04, 2022 8:41 am

been there last summer. as far as i know the spots in the northern part of the island all have a tax to use their spot
Prasonisi in the south is free to use, but it is very far to reach between pauses
as someone suggested here, he should negotiate a season pass to the nearest spot from his job/home
These users thanked the author duddd for the post:
athen (Wed May 04, 2022 7:58 pm)

athen
Medium Poster

Postby athen » Wed May 04, 2022 8:00 pm

Thanks duddd and thanks to all of you for the useful reply.
I don't see this island so amazing from what you wrote, however I forward to him all details you wrote me and surely he can sort out the best option.
Windy cheers!!!
duddd wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 8:41 am
been there last summer. as far as i know the spots in the northern part of the island all have a tax to use their spot
Prasonisi in the south is free to use, but it is very far to reach between pauses
as someone suggested here, he should negotiate a season pass to the nearest spot from his job/home

tonester
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Favorite Beaches: Raches - Greece
Style: Freeride
Gear: RRD Passion
Has thanked: 0

Postby tonester » Thu May 05, 2022 8:05 pm

I am local, he won't have a problem at all.
Both Theologos and Kremasti (north side) are famous having very organised kite stations.

Check the:

Surf and Kite Theologos
Air Riders
These users thanked the author tonester for the post:
athen (Fri May 06, 2022 7:00 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”