Gear: Duotone rebel 6-9m
Evo SLS 11m
Lieuwe Shotgun 138x41
Epic Oxygen 135x47
Brand Affiliation: None

Duotone what is the warranty for?

Postby mass898 » Mon May 02, 2022 7:03 pm

hi all,

I own 4 duotone kites +bar, bought in the last 1.5years.

i have a couple of questions on warranty:

1. what is the legal 2 year warranty covering?
2. what is the 6months extension that duotone offers for?

I have got only 1 reply in 2 weeks from duotone, hence my post here. You guys might have already gone through this.

Long story short, my valve started leaking. Sent a picture to my reseller ( i am now living in a different country). You cant see anything on the picture, it looks exactly like any normal functioning valve. They say that warranty is only valid one year. Warranty is only for kites that have not been used.

Luckily right after, i check my safety line. It is almost broken. I suppose this is not covered by warranty either. Still waiting for an answer on this one.

To be honest, i dont mind that gears have issue, it happens. But the gear is basically new, used 50 times, more or less 75 hours. I had to pay 60 euro for the valve and now extra 30euro for the safety line. I regret buying a evo sls just 2 weeks ago. What is warranty for if not to cover failure in the first couple of years of life of the product? Warranty was meant so that there is a minimum of quality built in the products....

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Re: DUOTONE: what is the warranty for?

Postby Havre » Mon May 02, 2022 7:23 pm

Warranty is only for kites not being used? How will you ever find out that there is something wrong?

In which country did you buy the kite?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon May 02, 2022 7:50 pm

mass898 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:03 pm
Warranty is only for kites that have not been used.
That makes no sense and I would expect it to be illegal in EU and Europe who has a lot stronger consumer protection regulations.
Not getting a response is not good enough. I would try again, maybe the email fell between..

mass898
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Bredene
Favorite Beaches: Oesterdam
Style: freeride
Evo SLS 11m
Lieuwe Shotgun 138x41
Epic Oxygen 135x47

Postby mass898 » Mon May 02, 2022 8:43 pm

Havre wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:23 pm
Warranty is only for kites not being used? How will you ever find out that there is something wrong?

In which country did you buy the kite?
France....... honestly, i am upset.

mass898
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Bredene
Favorite Beaches: Oesterdam
Style: freeride
Evo SLS 11m
Lieuwe Shotgun 138x41
Epic Oxygen 135x47

Re: Duotone what is the warranty for?

Postby mass898 » Mon May 02, 2022 8:48 pm

here are the emails, so that you see by yourself. Kite bought in October 2020.

sorry its in french, below a translation from google.

Bonjour,

Vous avez navigué avec l'aile depuis 2020 sinon vous seriez revenu vers nous dès le mois d'octobre et la marque aurait fait des rappels de produits :)

Je vous laisse voir avec notre commercial pour la suite.
Je vous souhaite une bonne journée.

Sportivement,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bonjour,

comment pouvez-vous faire valoir cela sans avoir vu l'aile?

cordialement
XXX

Subject: Re: [#511504] - - Demande de service après vente article défectueux

Bonjour,

La garantie européenne est valable seulement sur les problèmes de construction, hors ce n'est pas le cas avec votre aile.
La garantie est donc dépassée nous sommes désolés.

Je demande à un commercial de revenir vers vous concernant votre valve.

Bonne journée.

Sportivement,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bonjour,

la garantie Européenne pour tout produit est de 2 ans. J'ai aussi enregistré le produit pour une extension de garantie de 6 mois.

Merci de faire le nécessaire.

Cordialement,

Subject: Re: [#511504] - - Demande de service après vente article défectueux

Bonjour,

Votre aile n'est plus sous garantie.
La garantie est valable 1an.
Je peux cependant vous mettre en lien avec un commercial si vous souhaitez plus d'information sur la réparation de la valve.

in English:

Hello,

You have sailed with the wing since 2020 otherwise you would have come back to us as early as October and the brand would have made product recalls :)

I'll let you see with our commercial for the rest.
I wish you a good day.

Sportingly,
-------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------
Hello,

how can you argue that without seeing the wing?

Cordially
XXX

Subject: Re: [#511504] - - Defective item after-sales service request

Hello,

The European warranty is valid only on construction problems, except this is not the case with your wing.
The warranty is therefore expired, we are sorry.

I ask a sales representative to get back to you regarding your valve.

Have a good day.

Sportingly,

-------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------
Hello,

the European warranty for any product is 2 years. I also registered the product for a 6 month extended warranty.

Thanks for making the necessary.

Cordially,

Subject: Re: [#511504] - - Defective item after-sales service request

Hello,

Your wing is no longer under warranty.
The warranty is valid for 1 year.
However, I can put you in touch with a sales representative if you want more information on repairing the valve.

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
www.pastyadventures.co.uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion
Has thanked: 0

Postby leepasty » Mon May 02, 2022 8:48 pm

Warranty is for manufacture defects.
If something is worn from use that is not a defect.
A used 50 times kite is not new, a leaking valve is prob a small bit of sand or a salt crystal inside and the worn safety line is also from sand. Neither are manufacture defects so not covered under warranty.
This link shows how to fix the valve leak https://www.wetestkites.com/2021/02/27/ ... g-inflate/

If something broke because it was made incorrectly, for example, the kite ripped on a seam due to incorrect stitching then you would be covered under warranty, this is same with any brand although with Duotone you get an extra 6 months warranty if you register :D

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Migrating to free style foiling
Gear: Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m
KauperXT Maverick 6M/8M + 11M Falcon
Airrush Ultra v3 5M
Slingshot ghost 4M
Core XR6 8M, XR5 10M /12M
Moses 633,679,671/ 91-101 mast / Groove Skate + Radical
Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon May 02, 2022 9:14 pm

leepasty wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 8:48 pm
Warranty is for manufacture defects.
If something is worn from use that is not a defect.
A used 50 times kite is not new, a leaking valve is prob a small bit of sand or a salt crystal inside and the worn safety line is also from sand. Neither are manufacture defects so not covered under warranty.
Well, I would argue that a sandy beach is something kite gear should be designed around…. It’s a pretty common place to find kite gear…

Of course how the equipment was handled matters and some wear might be preventable or in the case of valves it should be an easy to fix yourself by cleaning away some sand.
Assuming the valve is not such an easy fix I would argue it’s a design flaw or manufacturing defect if it cannot survive 50 sessions when used on sandy beaches.

Regarding the safety line: if the bar was properly flushed after use I would, again, certainly expect a safety line to last more then 50 sessions….

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon May 02, 2022 9:17 pm

But what is a defect? I agree valves are a bit tricky - because it is difficult to say what causes a defect. Normally I would say they would be better off just taking that cost though.

My guess is that in Norway that would be considered covered by the warranty (strictly speaking not warranty, but consumer products are expected to last, under normal use, for at least 2 years (5 for some goods) and that is covered by law) - as you would expect a kite valve to cope with sand. Even if we know that isn't always the case - especially if there is warm sand.

I have no idea how it works in France though.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: F-one Bandit 12 7m, 10m, Duotone Juice 13m
Nomad Carbon C Wave 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Mon May 02, 2022 9:37 pm

As others have said, a warranty covers a manufacturing defect which results in failure. A kite used more than 50 times is not even vaguely new, and some wear would be expected. If all you need is a new valve I'm not really sure why you are bothered.
As an example of Duotone warranty, 2 struts exploded on my 13m Juice the 3rd time I used it. Duotone rightly agreed that it was a manufacturing defect and repaired it.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/91/101/111cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20/23” Guardian/Sentinel bars, 70/90cm carbon masts, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast, Moses 590/330 wing/stabilizer with fuselage plus 1200 sq.cm lightwind wing

Postby grigorib » Mon May 02, 2022 9:55 pm

Few points:
- warranty is usually to cover design issues or manufacturing defects. It doesn’t cover regular wear and tear
- 50 times or 75 hours means used (and potentially abused). Expect no warranty coverage after so many sessions. Rental gear is considered gone/unsafe after a season. 50 days is about half season worth of use and I’d say it’s well used.
- there’s barely any “legal” for warranty and you might choose to sue or go through your credit card protection. I wouldn’t do it for a valve
- safety lines, valves, etc are the weak links and go first. Expect replacing them especially when loading gear. Storing kite in a car for few days in the sun will get all valves unglue and no warranty should/will cover that. Few months in the sun will eat away fabric, and so on
- you got ripped off on the parts. Valves are $15-$30 but maybe yours are not standard. Good reason to buy gear which is built with compatible and widely available parts and materials

“Warranty is only for kites that have not been used” sound familiar. Complete BS and I was given that answer before. Yet same store passed my case to Liquid Force and Gary took great care of the issue through the store.

How do they sell shoes in Europe if they warranty 2 years - does it become a shoe rental?

Return to “Kitesurfing”