Dutchman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands
Gear: Orbit '23 8m, 9m, 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Replacements for my Dices

Postby Dutchman » Tue May 03, 2022 12:09 pm

Hi,

Currently, I have a set of dices (7, 9, 12m) and I am looking to change my gear. I am an intermediate level (basic unhooking, darkslides, board-offs, loops and bow starting with boogies and late-backs). What I dont like at the dices is the bar-pressure (too high), the unevenly force of pull during a loop (makes it more difficult with the boogies, late backs) the constantly need to work the kite, the ‘difficulty’ everything needs to be perfect to jump 15+ meters (this seems much more easy on XRs, Rebels and Orbits) and the lack. My weight is 90kg

Therefore, I am looking into a new set and size up 1m with my weight, the gap between 9 and 12 is sometime a bit too big (also the dice needs quite some wind). First I thought, also due to my weight, an 8m, 10m Orbit and a 12m Reach. It seems still possible to loop the 10m as it’s fast and catches easy. However, some people say that an Orbit needs perfect technique to get some decent heights. So this makes it bit confusing.

Is this true and what other kites fit my requirements? Evo SLS?

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Re: Replacements for my Dices

Postby Exal » Tue May 03, 2022 1:02 pm

What year dices do you have? I had some from 2019 and they were really light bar pressure. Evo is a nice kite, should fit what you are looking for, I have them now but am not kiting as advanced as you but if bar pressure is an issue, then the 5 strut kites are probably not the way to go. Had a rebel and that kite had proper bar pressure once a bit powered.
These users thanked the author Exal for the post:
Dutchman (Tue May 03, 2022 4:06 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

pmania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Workum
Favorite Beaches: Nice beach at the sea, with some good waves!
Style: freestyle
Gear: Switch Legacy v2 9m, Element v3 9m & Nitro v3 12m +v6 10m 2 x Controller 3 and MJ 140x43 Pansh A15 18m
Naish Aero 14m North Rhino 2009 10m Jaime Pro 2005 M
Old & broken: North Rhino's 2005 10m+14m Rhino 2006 14m and vegas 2007 7m F-One Impact 2006 9m
Has thanked: 0

Postby pmania » Tue May 03, 2022 1:03 pm

Do you want to stay with the same brand ?

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue May 03, 2022 2:53 pm

I have a quiver of 7,9,12 Reach and 9m Orbit. I am waiting on new 10m Reach for a little more range. The Orbits are not that hard to jump and I have looped 10m with no problems. They are not as high of a jumping kite as the XR is but it is faster and better at looping. I am lighter than you but we do not get the best wind for going big. 8,10m should be good for your weight. I prefer the Reach over the Orbit in the 12m as I prefer faster flying kites. But like all ways it is best to try them before you buy them.
These users thanked the author TheJoe for the post:
Dutchman (Tue May 03, 2022 3:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue May 03, 2022 3:33 pm

The dice has probably the most even pull through a loop of any kite. It yanks hard just like a C kite but is very even. In 2019 the orbit was finicky and impossible for anyone to use except for an expert. The 2022 orbit however is fantastic and great for even a beginner. They fixed all the problems in the old orbit and I can recommend either the orbit or the rebel for anyone that wants to boost to the sky. In any case the reason you'll find uneven reviews of the orbit is because of how much they have refined the orbit over the last 3 years. The best thing about the dice is that it's great for unhooking. If you switch to the orbit, evo, or reach, you won't generate any slack and handle passes will become very difficult. I think for you, upgrading entirely to an orbit quiver for boosting, board offs, dark slides, is a fine idea, you'll get a lot more height and better upwind, but then keep one of your old dices, either the 12m or 9m for doing handle passes. The kite you want for huge air is exactly the opposite from the kite you want for handle passes so you can either go for something that does both equally poorly or keep one kite just for handle passes. The evo is also a great kite for boosting, but again can't really generate much pop and slack for a handle pass.
These users thanked the author edt for the post (total 2):
Dutchman (Tue May 03, 2022 3:59 pm) • Gestalt (Sat May 07, 2022 1:42 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Dutchman
Rare Poster

Postby Dutchman » Tue May 03, 2022 4:06 pm

pmania wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:03 pm
Not necessarily, it’s that I heard good experiences from the 10m EVO SLS. Pivots might also be a good option, but think Orbits suits my preference more.

edt wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:33 pm
The dice has probably the most even pull through a loop of any kite. It yanks hard just like a C kite but is very even. In 2019 the orbit was finicky and impossible for anyone to use except for an expert. The 2022 orbit however is fantastic and great for even a beginner. They fixed all the problems in the old orbit and I can recommend either the orbit or the rebel for anyone that wants to boost to the sky. In any case the reason you'll find uneven reviews of the orbit is because of how much they have refined the orbit over the last 3 years. The best thing about the dice is that it's great for unhooking. If you switch to the orbit, evo, or reach, you won't generate any slack and handle passes will become very difficult. I think for you, upgrading entirely to an orbit quiver for boosting, board offs, dark slides, is a fine idea, you'll get a lot more height and better upwind, but then keep one of your old dices, either the 12m or 9m for doing handle passes. The kite you want for huge air is exactly the opposite from the kite you want for handle passes so you can either go for something that does both equally poorly or keep one kite just for handle passes. The evo is also a great kite for boosting, but again can't really generate much pop and slack for a handle pass.
Thanks! This is very usefull. Im doubting between 2021 or 2022 Orbits. But seems like the 2022 will be the best choice then.

Furthermore, the only handle pass I do is a railey to blind and that’s (in my case) more a surface pass. I don’t think I will progress more in unhooking.

Seems like that a 8m + 10m Orbit + 12m Reach is indeed a good option.

Dutchman
Rare Poster

Postby Dutchman » Tue May 03, 2022 4:08 pm

Exal wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:02 pm
What year dices do you have? I had some from 2019 and they were really light bar pressure. Evo is a nice kite, should fit what you are looking for, I have them now but am not kiting as advanced as you but if bar pressure is an issue, then the 5 strut kites are probably not the way to go. Had a rebel and that kite had proper bar pressure once a bit powered.
The 9m I have is a 2019 version. Tried an Orbit a while ago in 22 knots straight after using my Dice and thought the bar pressure was a big difference.

Do the amount of struts play a role in bar pressure? Thought it was more the shape of a kite.

duddd
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Flag Beach
Gear: wtb

Postby duddd » Wed May 04, 2022 10:02 am

you definitely should test the Evo SLS
the bar pressure is very low and it gives you confidence to try new tricks, because you don't feel the power in the bar (or at least this is how it works for me)
i have 8m rebel SLS and 10m Evo SLS .. with the 8m rebel it takes me at least 30 minutes into a session to build the confidence to try small loops, while with the Evo SLS i'm going after 5-10 minutes and started working on baby boogie loops, while with the rebel i was always hesitating.
i think one determining factor is the high pressure that i get in the rebel
These users thanked the author duddd for the post (total 2):
Leon van Bergen (Wed May 04, 2022 11:09 am) • cor (Wed May 04, 2022 3:37 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Saltyman
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 85kg
Style: Freeride/wakestyle, old school big air
Gear: Slingshot,Naish, Cabrinha,

Postby Saltyman » Wed May 04, 2022 9:35 pm

Slingshot RPX or the Naish Pivot as previously said both are good for looping, boosting and general freeride/freestyle. The RPX is good because you can change the bridle to freestyle or wake settings.
The pivots do everything pretty well so is an awesome all-round kite imo.

elmarco
Medium Poster

Postby elmarco » Thu May 05, 2022 7:58 pm

Dutchman wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:06 pm
pmania wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:03 pm
Not necessarily, it’s that I heard good experiences from the 10m EVO SLS. Pivots might also be a good option, but think Orbits suits my preference more.

edt wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:33 pm
Thanks! This is very usefull. Im doubting between 2021 or 2022 Orbits. But seems like the 2022 will be the best choice then.

Furthermore, the only handle pass I do is a railey to blind and that’s (in my case) more a surface pass. I don’t think I will progress more in unhooking.

Seems like that a 8m + 10m Orbit + 12m Reach is indeed a good option.
I've been on Airush Union's for a few years, and love em.
Light bar pressure. cranked loops, unhooks well. I ride 8 & 12. The 8 is a riot to loop.

Return to “Kitesurfing”