kiting in eugene, OR

Forum for kitesurfers
mantismaster
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mantismaster » Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:14 pm

Hi, I just started kiting in eugene, OR and I am looking for some people to ride with. I have no car at the moment, but i do have a kite , board harness etc. I just want to learn with somebody rather than solo. If interested please reply. Thanx!

phree
Medium Poster

Postby phree » Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:18 am

I'm curious where you will be kiteboarding near Eugene. Do you have to drive to the coast? If so, where is the closest good spot?

mantismaster
Medium Poster

Postby mantismaster » Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:43 am

I have been body dragging and flying my kite at fern ridge reservoir and fall creek reservoir. I don`t know if these spots are suitable, but there is usually 8-15 knotts of wind. There are also a couple other lakes I know of. I would like to go to the coast after I learn somewhere a little safer.There are some trees around the shore at these places, but they`re totally avoidable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mantismaster on 2002-09-24 06:48 ]</font>

phree
Medium Poster

Postby phree » Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:23 am

Here's a link to a kitesurfing message board in your neck of the woods.

http://kiteworld.net/kiteboarding-messa ... -main.html

Also, you might want to phone Denny at Kiteworld and ask if he knows kiters near you. (Toll Free:1-866-548-3967) He knows allot of kiteboarders near the Gorge and just might be able to help hook you up with some Eugene riders. He has a great shop, too. Tell him Murph sent ya.

Good luck and go easy with those easily avoidable trees! Remember what Toby says: "Distance is your friend".

Also, as you're new to kiteboarding, please take the time to read one of the most thorough safety guidelines for kiteboarding. You can find it at:

phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=924&forum=1&6

mantismaster
Medium Poster

Postby mantismaster » Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:16 pm

Thanx for the info! I already checked out the site you recommended, and you`re right, it`s great. I have been talking with a couple of the guys at kiteworld already, but i will ask them about hooking up with some locals.Thanx again , Mantis

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:53 pm

A bit to the south, but try learning at Floras Lake in southern Oregon. It is a small lake 200 yards from the Pacific which sits in a small bowl... = calm water and cranking wind above! I think the 'Big Air' windsurf shop nearby even gives lessons there.

Ethan

mantismaster
Medium Poster

Postby mantismaster » Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:40 pm

Thanks alot, I will check it out! Any one else w/ suggestions please write. Thanks!(or anyone else that wants to go and kite)

Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Blow Me » Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:30 am

doesn't it suck kiting in the rain?

mantismaster
Medium Poster

Postby mantismaster » Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:03 am

I have never kited in the rain, but yeah, it probably sux.

Return to “Kitesurfing”