Forum for kitesurfers
Matty V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Home made
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Janek injured again

Postby Matty V » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:29 pm

The issue that needs changing is events being held in unsuitable locations, water depth or with Underwater hazards.

Riders will do bigger and bigger tricks but in areas that they have assessed to have suitable risk when practicing/training.

Telling them to perform in 2ft of water or areas with submerged rocks is the event organiser being dicks.
These users thanked the author Matty V for the post:
edt (Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:13 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:00 pm

There are not many riders getting badly injured during competition. So I don't think there is a need to blame the organisation.
For the worst case, you have more injuries during events in Cape Town than during the competition in Tarifa, Gruissan or Tatajuba. Julian Huyn and Jesse Richman broke their legs during the event in Cape Town, Lewis Crathern and Clement Huot where knocked out also in Cape Town.
For the other location (more shallow water), I recall Stijn Mul very hard crash last year in BAKL Tatajuba, Edgar Ulrich twisting an ankle in Lord of Tram and bad reception for Pippa during Tarifa event last month causing ACL damages.
And for Cold Hawaï last year, the wind was so strong that many rider almost landed on the beach when sending big jumps ! And still, they were all stoked and happy to be part of that competition.

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:05 pm

Toby wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:35 am
Yes, but can’t really be called “making money”.
Basically free gear, costs for traveling and maybe some extra. Plus some prize money if they are one of the top riders.

If 10.000 USD is left at the end of the year, you can be happy. If it would be minimum 100.000 it might be worth it. If you can’t ride anymore, at least you had a payoff…
Yes indeed and however sad that reality is, everyone knows this before turning pro.
They don't want to give in to sponsor demands that's fine...get a desk job like the rest of us and find yourself a completely new set of things to complain about.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:19 pm

Baptiste_FR wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:00 pm
There are not many riders getting badly injured during competition. So I don't think there is a need to blame the organisation.
For the worst case, you have more injuries during events in Cape Town than during the competition in Tarifa, Gruissan or Tatajuba. Julian Huyn and Jesse Richman broke their legs during the event in Cape Town, Lewis Crathern and Clement Huot where knocked out also in Cape Town.
For the other location (more shallow water), I recall Stijn Mul very hard crash last year in BAKL Tatajuba, Edgar Ulrich twisting an ankle in Lord of Tram and bad reception for Pippa during Tarifa event last month causing ACL damages.
And for Cold Hawaï last year, the wind was so strong that many rider almost landed on the beach when sending big jumps ! And still, they were all stoked and happy to be part of that competition.

Of course the stoke is high, and rightfully so.
But, how would be the stoke if one really dies because he or she hit an obstacle that was known or shallow water?

All great until something happens. As mentioned before, it all goes until one dies or gets paralyzed. I hope that day never comes…

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:29 pm

Matty V wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:29 pm
Riders will do bigger and bigger tricks but in areas that they have assessed to have suitable risk when practicing/training.
The specific location in Tarifa that we are talking about here has been used for training of those tricks long before there were any events of that sort. So if the organisers are being dicks, also authorities are being dicks because they still permit the spot. Also, you make it sound like there would be plenty of spots available with similar conditions (strong winds, flat water and accessible) that organisers could move the event to or that they could just move to another spot, but this is just not the case! The only comparable spot I know in Southern Europe is Leucate. Choosing a location for such an event is a complex task which requires a lot of effort, scrutiny and also dealing with local authorities. It´s not like you can grab just everyone and then move to another spot that´s more suitable because there are less rocks in the water.

Furthermore, as Bapiste_FR pointed out, there actually aren´t a lot of severe injuries in these competitions. Even back when Kota was held in Big Bay, there weren´t any fatalities although there are way, way more rocks there then in the spot in Tarifa. Also in Cold Hawaii, the location is even more dangerous because you easily land on the beach!

Don´t get me wrong. I think this spot is awfully dangerous and megalooping in offshore winds is as well. But still, I think you guys are thinking way to simple here and you are highly underestimating what it means to organise such an event.
These users thanked the author cor for the post (total 2):
knotwindy (Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:45 pm) • Greenturtle (Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:54 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:52 pm

These guys are ‘pros’. They have been riding a long time. They know the area, the take off spot, the landing area and the hazards. And they chose to do it, again and again. Training, comps, whatever. The money is not relevant, the have said yes, I’ll go there and do this. Knowingly. They have a different risk assessment and they are not stupid, oblivious or unaware, just crazy.
And it’s really, really hard to fix crazy.😳⁉️🤣👍
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
Greenturtle (Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:53 pm

A lot of extreme sports involve avoiding obstacle impacts. Kiteboarding is one of them.

Its not like nobody knew there were rocks. They all know, and study the course beforehand.
This is an extreme event, not a bubble-wrapped kiddie game. He knew full well what the risks are and sent it hard, just like all the other extreme sport athletes who have been injured.

Hoping this amazing rider’s recovery is as speedy and complete as possible.

Matty V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Home made

Postby Matty V » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:23 pm

cor wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:29 pm
Matty V wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:29 pm
The specific location in Tarifa that we are talking about here has been used for training of those tricks long before there were any events of that sort. So if the organisers are being dicks, also authorities are being dicks because they still permit the spot. Also, you make it sound like there would be plenty of spots available with similar conditions (strong winds, flat water and accessible) that organisers could move the event to or that they could just move to another spot, but this is just not the case! The only comparable spot I know in Southern Europe is Leucate. Choosing a location for such an event is a complex task which requires a lot of effort, scrutiny and also dealing with local authorities. It´s not like you can grab just everyone and then move to another spot that´s more suitable because there are less rocks in the water.

Furthermore, as Bapiste_FR pointed out, there actually aren´t a lot of severe injuries in these competitions. Even back when Kota was held in Big Bay, there weren´t any fatalities although there are way, way more rocks there then in the spot in Tarifa. Also in Cold Hawaii, the location is even more dangerous because you easily land on the beach!

Don´t get me wrong. I think this spot is awfully dangerous and megalooping in offshore winds is as well. But still, I think you guys are thinking way to simple here and you are highly underestimating what it means to organise such an event.
Well aware of the issues at that spot is a friend has an apartment probably 200 m from it that I frequently visit.

Yes those unique combinations of flat water in strong wind for competition they are hard to find but it doesn’t mean you should deliberately go and choose one that’s compromised from the safety perspective

What the riders are doing a dangerous enough it doesn’t need to be made more risky because somebody’s getting paid a load of money to run an event.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:45 pm

If this place is such unique spot of flat in strong winds than why local riders or local organizers can’t rise money for this hazards removing? Some has technics some has working power and they together can remove.

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:31 pm

a99 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:45 pm
If this place is such unique spot of flat in strong winds than why local riders or local organizers can’t rise money for this hazards removing? Some has technics some has working power and they together can remove.
Removing natural hazards from the sea...because of kiteboarding? In what country do you live where such a thing would have even the tiniest chance of being authorized and would not clash with local environmental parties, activists and conservationists?

Waaaaay to simple, guys.

Return to “Kitesurfing”