Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Localism - How to keep people out of your kite spot

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Localism - How to keep people out of your kite spot

Postby Havre » Sat May 14, 2022 1:18 pm

How is that hilarious?

Kind of hilarious how you can be that judgemental without arguing why.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat May 14, 2022 3:15 pm

Invite Joe & Kamala to do some border control !!

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sat May 14, 2022 3:19 pm

Don’t forget to wear a Mask😂😂😂😂🚽🚽🚽🚽🧻🧻🧻🧻

And don’t kite within 6 feet of each other 🚽💨🚽💨🚽💨🚬🕳🚬🕳🚬🕳

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat May 14, 2022 3:27 pm

How clean is the wind & water there ???
You might need a 4th booster shot !!!!

Boston kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Naaaaaahant
Favorite Beaches: Chapin, Kalmus, Wing, Horseneck, Hardings, Hatch, Good Harbor.
Style: freeride , boost, surf, foil
Gear: Duotone 12 rebel, 10m Rebel. 9m sls Neo, 7m Neo

Crazyfly Raptor pro, Duotone Profish, Cab secret agent/Lift 200 surf

Postby Boston kiter » Sun May 15, 2022 2:15 pm

Offer them free baby formula if they go elsewhere.....more valuable than Bitcoin in these sad times. lol

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: F-one Bandit 12 7m, 10m, Duotone Juice 13m
Nomad Carbon C Wave 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sun May 15, 2022 3:53 pm

Other than getting an official blessing to use the area within a certain set of parameters, which perhaps could be offered to others if they for instance signed a code of conduct or something, I don’t see how you’re in any position to judge others who are basically breaking the same rules that you are.
Permit systems work fairly well elsewhere.
I am of the view, as I’m sure other responsible kite surfers are, that I am a risk to myself at times, but almost zero risk to others. Kiting is silent, so doesn’t disturb anyone, other than perhaps breeding birds - even then from my experience restricted wildlife areas can be maintained quite successfully alongside kiting locations, my local spot at Exmouth being a good example.
Most beach goers enjoy watching it and taking photos, and if there are other water users then there are plenty of examples of kite surfers rescuing other beach users and very few instances of them causing harm. It’s just a matter of persuading the right people that this is the case.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun May 15, 2022 8:18 pm

Where is this happening?

It seems that Europe is much more crowded than the US, so more regulation is considered acceptable or even necessary.

One of the new things happening on the west coast of Florida, is that property owners have started marking off what they believe to be their private property with no trespassing signs.

Based on what I see happening at the beach, with some of the users being extremely inconsiderate about things as simple as not leaving the beach littered with trash, I can't blame property owners.

The thing is, here in Florida, the beach is all public; from the water all the way up to the mean high water line.

But the property owners, (and probably law enforcement, if one were to push the point) seem to be drawing out the mean high water line based on measurements that were taken 20 years ago or more...

Then, add in the fact that many of the beaches here get "replenished" at taxpayer expense.

I haven't run into any problems. Yet... But I am generally very polite and always do my best to be respectful.

... But the minute some jerk tries to tell me I have no right to be on "his" beach...

If it is one of the ones that locally costs more than a million USD, per mile, per year, to keep intact... You can bet I will have something to say about it...

I mean... I have paid, out of my own pocket, for some of these multi-million dollar properties not to disappear in the latest storm.

And if you have a problem with that, you have some explaining to do.

Boston kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Naaaaaahant
Favorite Beaches: Chapin, Kalmus, Wing, Horseneck, Hardings, Hatch, Good Harbor.
Style: freeride , boost, surf, foil
Gear: Duotone 12 rebel, 10m Rebel. 9m sls Neo, 7m Neo

Crazyfly Raptor pro, Duotone Profish, Cab secret agent/Lift 200 surf

Postby Boston kiter » Sun May 15, 2022 11:37 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:18 pm
Where is this happening?

It seems that Europe is much more crowded than the US, so more regulation is considered acceptable or even necessary.

One of the new things happening on the west coast of Florida, is that property owners have started marking off what they believe to be their private property with no trespassing signs.

Based on what I see happening at the beach, with some of the users being extremely inconsiderate about things as simple as not leaving the beach littered with trash, I can't blame property owners.

The thing is, here in Florida, the beach is all public; from the water all the way up to the mean high water line.

But the property owners, (and probably law enforcement, if one were to push the point) seem to be drawing out the mean high water line based on measurements that were taken 20 years ago or more...

Then, add in the fact that many of the beaches here get "replenished" at taxpayer expense.

I haven't run into any problems. Yet... But I am generally very polite and always do my best to be respectful.

... But the minute some jerk tries to tell me I have no right to be on "his" beach...

If it is one of the ones that locally costs more than a million USD, per mile, per year, to keep intact... You can bet I will have something to say about it...

I mean... I have paid, out of my own pocket, for some of these multi-million dollar properties not to disappear in the latest storm.

And if you have a problem with that, you have some explaining to do.
Rich people can really suck...it's private property till they need a government bail out....DBs

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Sun May 15, 2022 11:59 pm

There is no reason to keep out non-locals, especially here in Florida where tourism is a major source of income to businesses. The only thing I wish is that the tourists would leave this year (seems that they all stayed... LOL). I once heard someone say "tourists are like hemmorhoids. When they come down they are a pain in the ass and when they go back up you get relief".. :D

Localizer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Non-affiliated
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Localizer » Mon May 16, 2022 2:39 am

Damn. I spent a few days offline and some of you really went at it in the meantime. Some of you people are ruthless

There used to be some respect for localism. There were certain surf spots, certain bike trails, or certain backcountry ski areas you just relented to the locals if you were new or from out of town. I guess those days are gone. Everyone’s woke now.

Any Hawaiians out there? You guys know what I’m talking about. I guess I’ll fight fire with fire too

Return to “Kitesurfing”