Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite Life Retirement Locations in Asia

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite Life Retirement Locations in Asia

Postby Havre » Thu May 19, 2022 7:21 am

I'm sure the OP can work out the visa requirements himself, but as an example you easily get a 1 year visa in Thailand. At least retired Norwegians do.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:31 am

What a stupid world with these limitations in every country. Definitely we need total globalization and free moving for people where they would like to live.

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Thu May 19, 2022 7:50 am

CaptainKook wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 6:15 am
In Asia, unless you go the company route, I think it's mostly 90day Tourist Entry Visas.

You need to leave the country and re-enter. Lots of expats there do visa runs to the borders every 90 days. In Bali people used to fly to Singapore, or KL every 90days.

In Thailand people used to overland into Malaysia, Burma, Laois.

Company route was every 6 or 12months.

Not sure if theres a limit on number of re-entrys allowed.
Comparable here. But retiring for me implies a much longer stay. I would be thinking about buying property. But not on a 90 day tourist entry visa. I have seen many people come here hoping to stay but leaving after a few years, presumably they worked out the visa requirements before coming. But they were disappointed by the situation on the ground. It does sound like it's better in that region though.

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Thu May 19, 2022 8:03 am

Havre wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:21 am
I'm sure the OP can work out the visa requirements himself, but as an example you easily get a 1 year visa in Thailand. At least retired Norwegians do.

For me these visa requirements are very much part of the discussion. I would like to leave here but not go back to Europe and I'm looking at visa requirements as much as at how "nice" the place is, maybe more. There are many nice places in the world but not many where you can go and be sure that you'll be able to stay for a long time. I think...

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu May 19, 2022 8:38 am

Pemba wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 8:03 am
Havre wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:21 am

For me these visa requirements are very much part of the discussion. I would like to leave here but not go back to Europe and I'm looking at visa requirements as much as at how "nice" the place is, maybe more. There are many nice places in the world but not many where you can go and be sure that you'll be able to stay for a long time. I think...
My point being there are quite a lot of experience in terms of kiting on this board - probably less expertise when it comes to visa requirements.

A lot of it comes down to money of course (quite some years away from retiring myself, but when I have just played around with it I haven't found a single country you can't settle in if you got some cash to spend - haven't looked at North Korea though). And all of the countries mentioned are well known destinations for retired people to settle down - especially Thailand.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
Pemba (Thu May 19, 2022 9:36 am)
Rating: 3.03%

CaptainKook
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Surf
Gear: 7, 9, 12

Postby CaptainKook » Sat May 21, 2022 9:57 pm

Interesting topic for anyone considering possibilities of retiring to sunny beaches with wind.

Toby and the lucky ones have gone first as prospectors!!

Retirement Visas are per individual Govt requirements and may depend largely on funds available.

Given that retirement age can be from 40 years old for some countries, it would be beneficial to establish the retirement visa requirements for:
Thailand
Indonesia
Phillipines
Vietnam
Malaysia
Cambodia
Brazil
Mexico
Panama

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:54 pm

Pemba wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 7:29 am
It seems the assumption is made that you can just go to any of these places and stay for an indefinite amount of time. Is that the situation ? I stay in Mozambique and after more than 20 years here it is still a bit of a struggle to keep my resident permit and associated documents updated.
For Thailand you get a 30 day visa on arrival and as long as you pop over the border every 30 days you perpetually get a new one. If you go down to Malaysia you can get a 60 or 90 day visa at the Thai embassy there but it's a bit of a pain.

Thailand also makes it very easy for 5 year retirement visas if you are over 50 years old (your spouse can be under 50 and be on the same 5 year).

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:10 pm

yes, Brazil accepts retired people, if you get min. 1500 USD per month.

other option is to buy a house or property for min. 700.000 reais (currently about 130.000 Euro)

new is a digital nomad visa, if you work online...valid for one year, can be extended every year. min 1500 USD income pm or 18.000 USD on a bank account.

Investors visa or marry, partnership or child is also possible.

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:34 pm

a99 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:31 am
What a stupid world with these limitations in every country. Definitely we need total globalization and free moving for people where they would like to live.
How many unskilled, uneducated people of the world would move to your country?
These users thanked the author geokite for the post (total 3):
SENDIT! (Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:09 pm) • Kamikuza (Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:06 pm) • Desert kite (Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:16 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:06 pm

a99 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:31 am
Cos that worked so well in Europe :lol:
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
Toby (Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:07 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”