Medium Poster
Local Beach: Toronto, ON
Style: Big Air
Gear: Ten Velox, XR, Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: None

Kiting at Miami Flats

Postby jorg » Fri May 13, 2022 8:19 pm

Hi Fam,
As far as I remember kiting Miami is pretty strict and a tad difficult for the visitors like me. For work, I will be visiting the area for 3 weeks and will be bringing my gear. My plan is to rent a boat for windy days (I have all the required international licences/certificates) and go to the flats & Stiltsville to have sessions.
Can you pls share any insights or particular rules around this plan or any marina that would rent a small boat for a day?

Cheers

Berk

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Kiting at Miami Flats

Postby RickI » Thu May 26, 2022 9:38 pm

I just saw your post. Yes, Miami is strict in many ways. With millions of residents, hundreds of thousands of visitors each year and almost 24 years of kiting issues, it can add up. You might want to let someone else do the driving and save some money for boat rental and go out with https://www.southfloridakiteboarding.com/ . They went to the trouble to obtain a permit to teach kiting out there as a licensed concessionaire and so know the place well. Crandon Park Marina used to rent boats, not sure if they still do. Don't go too shallow or run aground on the flats as the FWC charges by the foot for seagrass damage.
jorg wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:19 pm
Hi Fam,
As far as I remember kiting Miami is pretty strict and a tad difficult for the visitors like me. For work, I will be visiting the area for 3 weeks and will be bringing my gear. My plan is to rent a boat for windy days (I have all the required international licences/certificates) and go to the flats & Stiltsville to have sessions.
Can you pls share any insights or particular rules around this plan or any marina that would rent a small boat for a day?

Cheers

Berk

tkachuk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 75 kilos
Local Beach: Squamish, Nitinat (formerly: Cherry Beach, Allanwood, Presquil)
Favorite Beaches: Presquil (Ontario), Long Bay Turks, Silver Sands Barbados, OBX, Key Biscayne Florida
Style: boosting, carving my jibes, waves on TT
Gear: CORE, Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiting at Miami Flats

Postby tkachuk » Fri May 27, 2022 2:35 am

get picked up at marina dock in biscayne bay by southfloridakiteboarding and let them help with the boat launch at Stiltsville. It's shallow so bring booties for the sea urchins or whatever managed to poke thru my footwear the last few times.

Return to “Kitesurfing”