Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Evo: 2021 vs 2022 flying characteristics (comparing to 2013 model for reference)

Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Evo: 2021 vs 2022 flying characteristics (comparing to 2013 model for reference)

Postby edt » Thu May 19, 2022 7:08 pm

the rebel and evo fill the same slots in the duotone lineup, they are all around free ride high boosting kites, that you can't really unhook with. The difference is easy enough to see, just examine the kites, the rebel is a 5 strut kite, the evo is a 3 strut kite. What this means for performance is that the rebel is slower in the air, the evo loops faster, the rebel jumps higher because it's more rigid and the evo is more playful. My feeling on the dice is that it has almost as much pop as a C kite, including the vegas, and the main difference from the dice and C kites are that you can get more tricks in per session because the dice goes upwind so much better than a C kite. As for the duotone lineup, unlike north, they don't seem to have changed too much 2021, 2022, 2023 (however I can't comment on quality control as I only demo them don't own them). Of course the Evo from 2013 has nothing in common from the current models other than the name, so they aren't comparable. it's actually good that the duotone lineup hasn't changed as much as other brands in the past three year it means the kite were already flying correctly and didn't need changes. Thanks to the woo and king of the air, most of the kite brands have done the same, they have the same kite, designed for 5 strut and 3 strut, the 5 strut is for those to woost with and 3 strut is for those who want a more fun kite. It definitely makes a difference that extra stiffness of a 5 strut kite will let you jump higher but it loops a lot slower. the edge, rebel, orbit, switchblade, all are meant to woost it up with their 5 strut designs while the evo, moto, reach, fill mostly the same role, except in a 3 strut design and thus won't jump as high. For most casual kiters, all that matters is getting that big woost number so they will choose that 5 strut design but it's not as fun. None of the free ride kites are meant to be unhooked with, that's what the dice is for.

If 90% of your riding is unhooked that means you have an easy choice, you need to use the dice. If 90% is free ride than evo. If you need the highest woost to feed your ego, the rebel is your kite. Rebel is also the best for board offs, as it has the most float.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
dpublic (Sun May 22, 2022 2:08 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Evo: 2021 vs 2022 flying characteristics (comparing to 2013 model for reference)

Postby SolarSet » Fri May 20, 2022 2:08 pm

Just had first session on Evo ‘22 13m and jumped number of time higher during first session on Evo than I ever did (30-40 sessions) on XR6 11m :lol:
Right from start it felt that it’s easier to jump of Evo because dispute the size it felt quicker than XR6 11m
Didn’t expect that and it proves that 5 strut kite don’t always jump better than 3strut all around kites.
During weekend I should be able to test 10m which would give me good idea how it compares to my XR kites.
These users thanked the author SolarSet for the post:
dpublic (Sun May 22, 2022 2:08 pm)

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:03 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:08 pm
Just had first session on Evo ‘22 13m and jumped number of time higher during first session on Evo than I ever did (30-40 sessions) on XR6 11m :lol:
Right from start it felt that it’s easier to jump of Evo because dispute the size it felt quicker than XR6 11m
Didn’t expect that and it proves that 5 strut kite don’t always jump better than 3strut all around kites.
During weekend I should be able to test 10m which would give me good idea how it compares to my XR kites.
Bit of size difference though? Can you really compare if they aren’t the same size kites?

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:41 pm

Let me tell you about these kites, folks. We've got the five strut kite and the three strut kite, okay? And some people, they're saying that the five strut kite, it's slower to loop and more grunty and heavier just because it has more struts. No, no, no. That's not the whole story. The real deal is that this five strut kite, it's got more to it. It's got this thing called AR, alright? Aspect ratio, that's what we're talking about. And what does that mean? It means more wingspan, more spread.

Now, here's the deal. If you had just three struts on this kite, you'd have larger areas of fabric that's not getting as much support. And with this high AR, combined with a flatter canopy curve – that's a technical term right there – you end up with a kite that's not as nimble as those three strut kites like the Dice and others, okay? It's just the way it is.

So, folks, don't just look at the number of struts and think that's all there is to it. It's about this whole combination of factors. That five strut kite, it's got this high AR, it's got the wingspan, and that affects the way it loops and how powerful it is. But let's be clear, that three strut kite, it's got its own thing going on, and some people, they think it's got that nimbleness that you're looking for. So, there you have it, folks. That's the scoop, that's the real deal.
These users thanked the author kitexpert for the post:
ShaveTheWhales (Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:43 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”