Forum for kitesurfers
Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Small kite on a Medium bar?

Postby Windigo1 » Sun May 15, 2022 6:54 pm

You should specify the size of your medium bar. Normally small bars are around 45cm medium 50 to 52 and large 55 to 60. A bar around 50 should work fine depending on the kite a relatively slow high aspect kite should be fine. A super fast wave or freestyle kite would benefit from a smaller bar

ham-er
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 95kg
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone Enduro V1 6m
Ozone Catalyst 2012 8m
Ozone Edge V8 10m
Ozone Enduro V3 12m
Ozone Zephyr V6 17m

Airush Switch 145x44
Cabrinha Xcaliber 138x42
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ham-er » Mon May 16, 2022 12:53 am

Had similar dilema when started adding kites to my quiver. Decided to stick to my 1 bar and see how it goes. I use 50cm bar on all my kites 8m to 17m and it's fine. Sure it would be nice to have 3 bar sizes, but I couldn't justify the extra cost and have no trouble flying either too small or too big bar for the kite.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon May 16, 2022 10:15 am

One of the most fun things I do is kite foil in waves with a 4m kite on a 60cm bar.

It's so much fun to ride around and completely ignore the kite then simply point the bar and the kite obediently goes where I want it. I can even pull the kite forward after allowing it to sit too far behind me. It works best with strong wings and a small drifty kite.

There's no such thing as a too long bar, you just have to modulate your control inputs properly. It's not that hard. There is such a thing as a too short bar.

Return to “Kitesurfing”