Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Marine life whistle like deer whistle for foils?

Forum for kitesurfers
SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Marine life whistle like deer whistle for foils?

Postby SpaceRacer » Thu May 19, 2022 11:04 pm

It’s really upsetting to nail a dolphin or a turtle or any marine life for that matter with a foil. Fortunately I am a slow surf foiler but do they make or has anyone experimented with anything that creates a noise or a vibration that might alert underwater creatures to the silence of the stealthy foil?

hookedcook
Medium Poster
Gear: Elevegiht RS 10 and 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Marine life whistle like deer whistle for foils?

Postby hookedcook » Thu May 19, 2022 11:47 pm

1st world problems?? Questions like these are the reason I moved to the Caribbean and left the US. How about before you hit a dolphin or sea turtle you ditch the board?? The dolphins are probably way more aware of your presence than you are of theirs. Have you ever hit a dolphin with a foil??? A manatee I could see, bad luck but in dirty water with slow movements thats realistic, but one and a million. I live and work on boats, never managed to have these problems

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri May 20, 2022 10:00 am

If so slow that a foil is not making any sound, how can u hit anything?

When the foil is screaming loud this means its fast. That is your whistle.

surfbird
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken
Björlanda kile
Rossö
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay SA
Style: All
Gear: Naish Torch, Park.
Hadlow pro 138

Postby surfbird » Fri May 20, 2022 10:13 am

SpaceRacer wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 11:04 pm
It’s really upsetting to nail a dolphin or a turtle or any marine life for that matter with a foil. Fortunately I am a slow surf foiler but do they make or has anyone experimented with anything that creates a noise or a vibration that might alert underwater creatures to the silence of the stealthy foil?
I think you disturb them more with making noise. I always try to keep my foil as quiet as possible for that reason.
Porpoise plays with me sometimes, overtakes from behind, just inches under the foil. Pretty amazing feeling :-)
So I think they know what they doing. Don't worry.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Fri May 20, 2022 2:29 pm

A lot of foils whistle like crazy even high end one. There was a guy riding the other day on a Slingshot Phantasm you could hear the foil whistling from shore. Most people try to make their foil quieter because the whistling is caused by imperfections disturbing the flow, that has a negative impact on performance. You could always get a cheaper foil lol.. My Shinn P that I learned with was crazy loud!

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Tue May 24, 2022 11:03 pm

Thanks for your thoughts except from angry hookedcook. First off, if I saw the marine life I could avoid it. I was referring to spooking off what I couldn’t see. But you’re obviously not too bright because I am pretty sure that when you said you have a “one and a million chance” I think you meant “one in a million” LMAO. Do the math. Enjoy the crowds down there because where I am my only crowd IS the marine life. Enjoy the Caribbean. They can haaaave you. :thumb:

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Wed May 25, 2022 1:30 am

I have hit several sharks with my twintip and surfboard (but in shallow water ~2') where you could not foil). Never came close to hitting a dolphin. However, here in Florida, manatees are slow moving (unless agitated) and might not hear or see your foil. I had a friend hit one a few weeks back and it threw him off the board and fortunately the manatee was not hurt badly, that he could tell. I've come across them with my surfboard but never hit one. Now that I have taken up wing foiling I will have to be more aware of them.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed May 25, 2022 11:04 am

downunder wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:00 am
Used a first-ten Double Agent that would whistle as soon as it hit foiling speed and wouldn't ever stop. Not a fast foil :lol:
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
SENDIT! (Wed May 25, 2022 7:17 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Wed May 25, 2022 12:31 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:04 am
downunder wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:00 am
Used a first-ten Double Agent that would whistle as soon as it hit foiling speed and wouldn't ever stop. Not a fast foil :lol:
Yeah same for the Shinn P it was whistling as soon as you got moving and it wasn't fast at all you could foil at walking speed and it would make noise!

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Wed May 25, 2022 7:51 pm

I hit a manatee once in dark water.

I was going pretty slow on my low-performance Allibaba surf foil, and it just popped up out of nowhere.

I don't think I hurt it, but I am pretty sure we were both surprised and slightly terrified.

I then quit riding, because I realized there were several in the area, and I could not see them.

The deck of my board buckled almost instantly the very next time I took it out, but I had struck bottom at least a few times in the past as well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”