Forum for kitesurfers
wavy navy
Medium Poster
Style: foil/wave
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

toeside tack QR opens

Postby wavy navy » Mon May 23, 2022 3:01 pm

Today my QR opened while doing a toeside tack.
Not a big problem but curious: Did this happen to you? Any hints to prevent?

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: toeside tack QR opens

Postby Herman » Mon May 23, 2022 3:13 pm

If your body position brings your arm or wrist in contact with the qr collar sheeting out, or kite powering up and pulling the batr out, may drag the collar enough to open the qr. I have no specific idea what happened in your case but worth being aware of this particular phenomena. If it is not a mechanism failure and the qr is open something must have pushed the collar providing the qr was properly clicked in?
Last edited by Herman on Tue May 24, 2022 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

BalsaMichel
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: FS Soul 2 8m + 10m, CAB Fusion DA foil, backyard built split-TTs, skimboards and foilboards

Postby BalsaMichel » Mon May 23, 2022 3:44 pm

The chickenstick could slip out of the hook when the chickenloop twists. This is what happens in toeside position for example.
Might depend on the hook/stick/loop combination of course. Happened to me a few times in the past, it could get quite dangerous in strong winds.

I´m using the ION quicklock hook now to prevent this. I have removed the chickenstick and have replaced it with a 3d printed spacer. For release you can lift up the bottom part of the hook and take out the loop or you can push the quickrelease of course as usual.

Works nice for me as a freerider without unhooked action of course.

Micha

EDIT: Maybe it´s more like that the twisted loop is jumping off the hook than the stick slipping out.
Attachments
QR-Harness-Linecon.jpg
These users thanked the author BalsaMichel for the post:
wavy navy (Mon May 23, 2022 10:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby IWB2 » Wed May 25, 2022 1:56 am

Wavy Navy,
just checking if your QR was engaged and opened the chicken loop or if the chicken loop popped off the harness hook? Some chicken loops are more prone to working their way off the harness hook when the lines are slack eg just before launching. It is not until the rider puts some heavy tension on the lines that chicken loop pops off at some stage during the session. If the QR was activated , my guess it was either down to you somehow releasing it or maybe the chickenloop was not installed correctly.... very strange occurrence...

Return to “Kitesurfing”