Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing after hip surgery

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kitesurfing after hip surgery

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:14 am

Thanks for all the responses - much appreciated! Not sure if I am a candidate for a Birmingham hip as I'm 64 - I'll have to read more about it. I wouldn't have thought my lifetime of windsurfing & kitesurfing would have done much to damage my hips. Played squash for about 10 years, which is pretty brutal on the joints, but I think it may be largely genetic as my mother had both hips done ... and she never played squash or kitesurfed! The idea of being of kitesurfing for months is not very appealing (x 2 for both hips). :cry: I don't really notice much pain when kite foiling - as minimal movement is required most of the time. Walking to the launch, laying out & hooking up my lines down is somewhat painful ... and getting in & out of the wetsuit is a bitch. :roll:

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:55 am

I think answers need a bit more info. What kind of hip op did people have? I think the resurfacing ops ("birmingham", after McMinn's method pioneered in that city in the UK) are most suitable for sport and are expected to be strong enough for more extreme activities. A question is to what level you dare kitesurf after a full hip replacement.

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby baxterbradford » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:06 am

I had both hips replaced last Xmas at the same time (bilateral surgery). I was kiting within 12 weeks, could have gone sooner, but wind went astray. Completely changed my life for the better. Couldn't walk more than ½ mile without stopping beforehand, an hours kiting needed 4 days recovery when barely able to walk. Waking 3 or 4 times in great pain every night. My hips were in same state as you describe, bone on bone, top and bottom on both sides. I was 60 last summer.
Now I can do double session in a day, day after day. Have learned to wingfoil. Kiting is mostly strapless surfboard and foil, occasional twin-tip session.

Lamilu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio, Cumbuco
Style: Wave/foil
Gear: Duotone Neo 8, Ozone Alfa v2 10, Surf Foil convertible, chronus 11, neo8, w695s399m92, w799s330, groove 125cm copy.

Postby Lamilu » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:30 pm

I also have a bad hip…one doctor suggested surgery…started taking supplements…OsteoBFlex…recovered almost 100% for now…no surgery…thank god…as hip replacement is a big surgery…

Boston kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Naaaaaahant
Favorite Beaches: Chapin, Kalmus, Wing, Horseneck, Hardings, Hatch, Good Harbor.
Style: freeride , boost, surf, foil
Gear: Duotone 12 rebel, 10m Rebel. 9m sls Neo, 7m Neo

Crazyfly Raptor pro, Duotone Profish, Cab secret agent/Lift 200 surf

Postby Boston kiter » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:38 pm

Lamilu wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:30 pm
I also have a bad hip…one doctor suggested surgery…started taking supplements…OsteoBFlex…recovered almost 100% for now…no surgery…thank god…as hip replacement is a big surgery…
It's a big joint, but it's a lot less complicated than a knee or shoulder.

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:23 pm

I had the full ball and socket hip job 18months ago and I now say I feel fully recovered. I'm 67 now and still ride a TT and jump. I let it heal for 8months before I went kiting again. The doctor said you will be able to earlier and it will feel fine but if you dislocate it is really bad. That repair could be a new surgery and 6 month wheelchair. I am really glad I went for it.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:11 pm

baxterbradford wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:06 am
I had both hips replaced last Xmas at the same time (bilateral surgery). I was kiting within 12 weeks, could have gone sooner, but wind went astray. Completely changed my life for the better. Couldn't walk more than ½ mile without stopping beforehand, an hours kiting needed 4 days recovery when barely able to walk. Waking 3 or 4 times in great pain every night. My hips were in same state as you describe, bone on bone, top and bottom on both sides. I was 60 last summer.
Now I can do double session in a day, day after day. Have learned to wingfoil. Kiting is mostly strapless surfboard and foil, occasional twin-tip session.
Pain is a completely subjective thing that is very hard to quantify. I have been taking one ibuprofen, more recently one acetaminophen, a day, sometimes two a day ie. not a lot, but enough to help take the edge off the pain. Walking has become painful & awkward, but when I'm up on the foil I don't really experience any pain (maybe a bit when water starting) & no noticeable added pain after kiting.

They don't seem to encourage double hip replacements here, but the idea of doing one, being out of action for two or three months, repeating & then again being out of action doesn't seem very appealing. :-?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:23 pm

here the other topic...with an info from my friend

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2408548

Bertie
Rare Poster

Postby Bertie » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:01 pm

I had a Birmingham hip resurfaced over 12 years ago. Still kiting mostly surfboard and foil. Jumping can get a bit sore if you’re not careful; mostly from the pop rather than from hard landings. My skiing definitely improved after the operation :D The recovery might be a bit longer than a full hip replacement, but for sport it could be a better long term option. Do a lot of research into you surgeon as it can make a big difference. Look at Andy Murray playing world class tennis within a year. Good luck.

jetboy
Medium Poster

Postby jetboy » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:49 pm

I had labral tear after landing strapless into full splits- impact injury. It developed to bone on bone causing pain running down leg; restless leg; disrupted sleep; sharp pain at times; and loss of flexibility to the point of finding it hard to get socks shoes wetsuit etc on/off.
I had full hip replacement choosing an old fashioned glued method because they can set perfect alignment and this model suited my hip shape. Just as important as the surgeon is the right shaped replacement joint and alignment. I was using the best surgeon physio in Australia that deals with young athletes. It’s common in younger elite sports people now due to the aerial twisting element in a lot of sports.
Best thing I’ve done. Put up with it for so long. Tried all sorts of medications. The only thing that gave me extra time relief was a cortisone injection.
Walking same day. Diligent exercise & yoga. 2 weeks dropped meds. Don’t judge recovery by time. Doing too much is the major cause of issues.
I could; but lost interest in kiting. I still will and have kept my gear for when waves are pumping or yacht trips etc.
No issue foiling kite or prone.
I paddle surf short board every day and that is my priority.
I surfed 4 months later but was kooking. Because it was my front (left) hip; it takes longer as you throw this up between your arms on take off. Realistically 12 months.
It’s been 3 years and it’s great. Feel like I can surf as well as I could when I was younger. You have to take care of infection. A tropical cut or dental infection can cause you to reject implant. I know someone this happened to.
Good luck
These users thanked the author jetboy for the post (total 2):
nixmatters (Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:44 pm) • merl (Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:03 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

Return to “Kitesurfing”