Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m, 10m, 12m. TT & SB
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Accommodation Brazil

Postby ToeRag » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:54 am

Havre wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:33 am
What is your budget?

I was a bit shocked by how few kiters there are in Jeri. I thought there would be kiters everywhere, but that wasn't the case at all. I would still highly recommend Jeri (amazing place), but if you want to hang out with kiters Prea is a better place to stay I would imagine.
My budget is up to USD $100 /night I guess. I will be going to Prea for a while with friends, but when they leave and I’ll be flying solo I will be up for somewhere with a bit of nightlife.

There are kite tours you can do every day in Jeri, yeah?

I’m also wondering how far out places get booked out for September. Ie: book soon or wait till I get there?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:28 pm

There should be daily transport from Jeri to prea for kiters.
Ask the guesthouse where you want to stay if they offer it.

September should be ok, from October on you should rather book in advance.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:31 pm

ToeRag wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:54 am
Havre wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:33 am
What is your budget?

I was a bit shocked by how few kiters there are in Jeri. I thought there would be kiters everywhere, but that wasn't the case at all. I would still highly recommend Jeri (amazing place), but if you want to hang out with kiters Prea is a better place to stay I would imagine.
My budget is up to USD $100 /night I guess. I will be going to Prea for a while with friends, but when they leave and I’ll be flying solo I will be up for somewhere with a bit of nightlife.

There are kite tours you can do every day in Jeri, yeah?

I’m also wondering how far out places get booked out for September. Ie: book soon or wait till I get there?
I just hooked up with a school (Jerisports). So every "morning" (11 or something) they went out to a spot with students - and I joined them (on some of the days there were others as well just joining). Can't remember exactly what I paid but 30-50 real (not sure if that was expensive or not - didn't care as they were great people to travel with). There were other schools that as well who offered something similar.

I see the place I stayed at in Jeri is quite a lot more expensive (Villamag). Lovely place, but maybe not the best if your are traveling solo (I wasn't by myself). Mainly couples and some families there. I think I was the only kiter - then again I found few in general and the place were clearly used to having kiters coming.

In Cumbuco we had booked Windtown (I stayed at Windtown in Langebaan and loved it). Wouldn't necessarily recommend that place. Very friendly so no complaints in that regard, but not exactly central. We only stayed one night before we decided to move (they were doing some construction and the noise level was just unbearable - that is finished now of course). Could be that you will find other solo kiters there - as it is definitely a place focusing on kiters. We then moved to Pousada Kite Cabana. Great location. Kitecabana is among the better "hang out" places to watch people kite in Cumbuco in my opinion - and is 50m down the street or something. Also just a short walk to the restaurants in the center (the walk is a bit sketchy, but never had an trouble - or saw any trouble). Very friendly Pousada (then again most things are just friendly in that part of Brazil it seems), but the facilities are quite basic. Value for money is great I thought and got 9.0 on booking so definitely not a bad place. Couldn't say if you will find better though.

I'm no expert so couldn't say what is best - in terms of booking now or just see what you can find. My impression is that it is easier to find something good in Cumbuco "randomly" than in Jeri. Jeri seemed to be fairly packed when we were there (September 2019).

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:31 pm

Rede Beach in Guajiru?
I rather assume couples.

Places with more nightlife have more single travelers. Cumbuco or Jeri.

But normally where kiters are, you will make friends. So if it is a kite friendly hotel or guesthouse, you won't be alone.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:38 pm

Jeri is the most expensive village in the area.
Many non kiting tourists.

And September has 25-35 knots...winds are very strong there.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
ToeRag (Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:51 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:45 pm

Yeah. Wind was amazing in the Jeri-area. A lot better than Cumbuco. In Cumbuco I was underpowered most days on my 12 - in Jeri/Prea I was well-powered on my 9 (I am 100kg+- and like to ride with good power).

Obviously Toby knows this a 1000 times better than me, but Jeri is the best place I have ever been to in terms of wind (or the area - not Jeri itself). Solid wind every single day.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
ToeRag (Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:51 am)
Rating: 3.03%

ToeRag
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sydney, Botany Bay
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m, 10m, 12m. TT & SB

Postby ToeRag » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:06 am

Thanks guys! That's all very helpful.

Sounds like I will be better to spend more time in Jeri (Samba do Kite Pousada looks good) and less in Cumbuco. With Ilha do Guajiru as a stop in between. 25-35 knots is perfect for me. At 84kg I am taking 2 x 8m, 10m & 12m. I was aiming for at least 3 - 4 days in Cumbuco to hopefully sell a kite or two, as I've heard it's possible to get good prices there.

Pousada Kite Cabana looks great too. I was looking at Duro Beach Hotel, but maybe this is more my style if it has more younger / single traveller crowd.

Cheers

rw30
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 95
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, CapeVerde, FuerteV, Hel, Lady's Lake
Style: general freeride
Gear: Elev8 RS v7 14/10/8, SS SentryBar / SwitchController 5x, Best Spin TT 139cm / Duotone ProWhip 5'5''

Postby rw30 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:38 am

Toby wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:46 pm
we had Corona last year...less people travelling, so of course cheaper.

This year more people will travel again...and so planes are booked...few less flights this year as well...

and yes, fuel prices are up too.
strange, prices from central Europe (WAW or BER airports) hasn't changed much / at all when I've checked destinations like LA / NYC / Abu Dhabi & couple more. Just Fortaleza did :o

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:12 pm

Because it is like a monopoly!
They dictate the prices if only two airlines fly instead of 30…

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:13 pm

BTW, try to use VPN from poorer countries and see if prices will be cheaper…

Return to “Kitesurfing”