Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Would you replace this flying line?

Postby rnelias » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:03 am

jakemoore wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:33 pm
rnelias wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:01 pm
for freeride foiling, no
I suppose it depends on how far from home base you ride and how pleasant the swim would be.

I find as soon as I’m thinking something has 10 more sessions left then it breaks right away, and I’m think just that about this line.
If you believe in Murfy's law, so, yes... :P It's better to replace the line but, as other folks said, it depends on a bunch of factors and foiling is the lightest possible load for a kite line. Moreover, if you're far away from shore and a line breaks, I'm sure you'll try to splice them again using any knot to come back without having to swin. That's what I would try :thumb:

In fact, I had a friend that had exactly this situation foiling far from shore and had 2 lines breaking at the same time (*). He managed to splice both lines together using knots and came back to the beach foiling safely.

(*) The history is crazy and hard to explain but, here in my country, some child play with cheap kites, made with bamboo and paper, using lines with a cutting coat (I'm sure @Toby knows what I'm talking about), very dangerous btw... He got the bad luck to meet one of these kites, flying nowhere in the ocean, that has cut 2 of his new clickbar lines. :o
IMG-20220514-WA0166.jpg

schetsfiguur
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee @ NL
Style: Big Air
Gear: North Orbit, Ozone Edge

Postby schetsfiguur » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:52 am

Herman wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:28 pm
As Toby says plus form a loop in your fingers and run the loop over the damaged area. If it maintains a good radius that is a good sign, if it kinks that is bad/curtains. Personally I would not use that line anywhere that a breakage could cause a problem. From the photo a rough guess would be a visual loss of fibre of 10 to 15%, estimate at least double that in strength loss, but that is real finger in the air.

A mate of mine had a trip to the rocks just a couple of hours ago because of a broken fly line maybe that has influenced my opinion! Tune the bar and proof test it to a satisfactory working load with your body weight is another worthwhile approach imho.
Tried this, and well, the pictures speak for themselves.

Unfortunately Reedin only sells their flying lines as a set of 4 (at €139)... Anyway, I'll have a couple of spares in that case I mess up another line.
Attachments
IMG-3341.jpg
IMG-3340.jpg
These users thanked the author schetsfiguur for the post:
Herman (Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:33 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:27 am

Maybe try this preemptively?

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:13 pm

The stitch method in the video obviously works. However, if you don’t mind passing lots of line through you can also use a Brummell style lock and just bury the ends. Anybody seen relative strength tests between the two methods??

PS I think it is an imperative to carefully taper the ends to avoid wear points in these types of repair!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:59 pm

The Brummel Is a pain in line repair because you need to match line lengths just do a simple class one because you can move the splice until you get the length right and then use a lock stitch at least just use one Brummel not two if you like Brummels

The Brummel is very slightly weaker than the simple splice maybe 1% in any case the quality of your splice job determines the strength of the splice not the type

Madraoulas
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 86
Local Beach: Elafonissos-Peloponnese-Greece
Style: Freeride
Gear: Begginer-intermediate

Postby Madraoulas » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:06 pm

Because you are thinking replacing or not, I absolutely tell you to replace it because it's going to happen what are you afraid😉

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:53 pm

The point about Brummell preventing small size adjustment is one of the reasons I don’t use it for making up sets of fly lines. However in a repair in the middle of the line that is irrelevant, (unless you are using an exact insert…), as the length match is foobarred anyway. The repaired line will have to matched up with a leader or wear pig where you can adjust lengths accordingly. Either that or I have misunderstood something!

PS one of the things about the lock that I like is that it is easy to ensure even bury length on both sides of the repair and less snag places, but not major points either way. Plus section of line just running parallel to each other is not doing much at all imho, just a waist of opportunity for more friction…..
Last edited by Herman on Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:51 pm

schetsfiguur wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:52 am
Tried this, and well, the pictures speak for themselves.

Unfortunately Reedin only sells their flying lines as a set of 4 (at €139)... Anyway, I'll have a couple of spares in that case I mess up another line.
No chance to swap front and back lines?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:12 pm

would I sail downwind of you in strong winds
no!
if I was you would I change that line?
Yes!
I service bars and lines nearly every day, and shock people when I demo just how easy it is to snap a kite line,
take a 2mtr length of any normal kite line, tie one end to a solid point, wrap the other end around a standard hammer shaft not a big hammer just the standard type, raise to your shoulder and quickly snap the hammer downward, have fun snapping any line you have, old stuff, new line, place a knot in the line and see how little force you need to use, take a bit of slightly damaged white kite line and try to guess where it will snap?
ok the real life situation you will find yourself in may not end in a snap, but try this sure line snapper, get overpowered and release to safety, I get bars in very regularly with a snapped flag out line, sometimes the kite will then go in a spin and take out another line or even slice through the power line pu cover or even lower down get caught on the chicken finger and slice it right off, 2 of them in the last 6 months.
Of course the line may stay solid for years to come.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:41 pm

Yes. Get custom lines from Jeff Howard at kiteboarding.com if you’re in the US

Return to “Kitesurfing”