Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Would you replace this flying line?

Forum for kitesurfers
Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Re: Would you replace this flying line?

Postby Dirk » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:55 am

The front lines of that bar are split. 6m + 16m plus 2m extensions. Depending on where the defect sits you could just replace that part with custom lines. I would do both front line parts to insure equal line lengths.

I am doing this split on my custom bar as the lower part gets most abrasion from twisted front lines after rotations and loops. Cheap to replace.

pwoap
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 73
Local Beach: Tallinn
Style: Freeride
Gear: Zian Aquilla v3 14m
North Rebel 10
Eleveneight Rs v3 8m
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby pwoap » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:46 pm

edt wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:35 pm
that line is at less than 50% strength right now. I see people on this forum posting shots of lines that are barely worn all the time. and I'm usually "It's got a little bit more life in it." Not this time. Replace this one immediately. Probably the first time I've said that when it wasn't one of my own lines since I ride them until they snap.

If you know how to splice just replace the damaged section. That's what I would do it's a quick and easy repair if you know how to do it takes me about 10 minutes.
Last season I saw a brand new Airrush bar( max three beginner sessions ) line snap. Was it a manifacture failure, or was it a strong wind + 100+kg beginner doing one of his first water start and instead of getting up smoothly he was just like big heavy anchor in the water ? Dunno :-?

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:12 pm

Pigtails and even the center line are usually way over what's needed, and it might be okay to let them get a little ratty looking...

But flying lines, if they are not looking good, then you need to think about replacing them ASAP.

RedSky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber
Gear: 8m Genetirx Hydra, 6m Slingshot RPX, 5m Switchblade

Postby RedSky » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:46 pm

Looks fine to me. Mine looks worse than yours and I set a new PB a few years back looking like this ( wind 45knots gusting 57knots!! ), but they're back lines, so maybe that's why they have lasted so long.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:59 pm

RedSky,

Your frayed line is akin to your avatar. Riding in 45 knots with those lines is like playing Russian Roulette. 😂
These users thanked the author fernmanus for the post:
RedSky (Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

RedSky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber
Gear: 8m Genetirx Hydra, 6m Slingshot RPX, 5m Switchblade

Postby RedSky » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:46 pm

:D 100%
Discovered this knot while setting up. Spent half an hour picking it apart using a pair of pliers while being sandblasted by this galeforce wind.
After 8 years of trying, I finally beat my PB on the very first run! Truth is, I was so scared by the resulting frayed line that I did just two more runs and decided fk that, I'm done. :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”