Weight: 165
Local Beach: Lake Buchanan
Gear: NA
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lake Buchanan near Austin Texas

Postby H2Ofriendly » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:32 pm

Interested in kiting on Lake Buchanan? I may have a proposition for you. As you may know even though it is the best place close to Austin, it is hard to find a launch place if you don't have a boat. We sail/ski here regularly and have a place on the water to reach the islands to launch. The lake can be temperamental but not full of holes and swirls like Travis or Pflugerville. When the winds are southerly they are usually steady due to long uninterrupted runs over a large area. The only problem is that I don't really know how to kite and I got used kite gear with old school kites falling appart. I want to buy a new one but I dont know which one to get. I got one lesson in Corpus and was able to stand for a few seconds. I am looking for a buddy to teach me how to kite while I provide boat/jetski to get to launch places and to support us. I would prefer someone who can control their attitdes/mouth as I may have my older kids joining us to support us on a boat or jetski.

TimG
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 170
Local Beach: Houston
Style: Big Air
Gear: Rebel, monarch

Re: Lake Buchanan near Austin Texas

Postby TimG » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:26 am

H2Ofriendly wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:32 pm
Interested in kiting on Lake Buchanan? I may have a proposition for you. As you may know even though it is the best place close to Austin, it is hard to find a launch place if you don't have a boat. We sail/ski here regularly and have a place on the water to reach the islands to launch. The lake can be temperamental but not full of holes and swirls like Travis or Pflugerville. When the winds are southerly they are usually steady due to long uninterrupted runs over a large area. The only problem is that I don't really know how to kite and I got used kite gear with old school kites falling appart. I want to buy a new one but I dont know which one to get. I got one lesson in Corpus and was able to stand for a few seconds. I am looking for a buddy to teach me how to kite while I provide boat/jetski to get to launch places and to support us. I would prefer someone who can control their attitdes/mouth as I may have my older kids joining us to support us on a boat or jetski.
I’d be interested if the winds are good there. I live in Houston.
You can find me on Instagram @timgroten

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:49 pm

I'm very curious about Lake Buchanan and would love to see it.

But I'm not so sure from a kite perspective. One thought I've had for a long time is that if there are not a crowd of kiters on a body of water that would otherwise offer a good launch there must be a reason.

The nearest iKite sensor (Beaver?) suggests an intermittent opportunity to ride hydrofoils at best:
Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 10.42.06 AM.png
Compare the Port A pier (this is not our best spot for winds):
Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 10.43.31 AM.png
Also you just can't beat flat shallow water to learn.

Your best bet is come to Corpus at least 10 weekends and learn to ride upwind in flat shallow warm water.

H2Ofriendly
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021

Postby H2Ofriendly » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:11 pm

Thank you Tim. Hopefully we can make it work with our schedules and the weather.

@jakemoore. I appreciate your post. There is no way I can argue with you. Port A will beat it most of the time but not when it comes to driving if you liive in Austin area. It also does not have a good launch unless you have a boat. This lake is a hidden gem and those of us living here would like to keep it this way 😀 I can tell you that this weather station is my neighbor's and it is shielded by a land mass from prevailing winds on this lake. When we sail around this point we always hit a dead spot. It was showing 7 mph when I just got back from an island looking at solid 15-20mph with someone else kiteboarding.

You may just have to just discover it for yourself. Although I would not drive up here if you have easy access to port A. If you are planning to be in the area anyway, let me know when you are available and we may just work something out. Just don't come here when there is a northern blow expected. It can get up to hurricane strength winds (over 60 mph) in a hurry. Weather forcasts here are notoriously inaccurate and people have lost their lives because of these storms. When you see it coming you have to get off the water in a hurry. Barometer is your friend.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:10 am

H2Ofriendly wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:11 pm
solid 15-20mph with someone else kiteboarding.
How often do you see kites? Riding twintip or foil? And how often do you get 15 knots?

H2Ofriendly
Rare Poster

Postby H2Ofriendly » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:28 pm

jakemoore wrote:
H2Ofriendly wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:11 pm
solid 15-20mph with someone else kiteboarding.
How often do you see kites? Riding twintip or foil? And how often do you get 15 knots?
I'd say 15 knots is there around 30-40% of the time. As we progress in the summer it gets slower and more unpredictable. Never saw hydrofoil here. It really got popular in the last 2 years or so. I think it is because there is now a guy from Austin teaching here on weekends.

noellco
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaibo lake, Venezuela.
Fisherman huts, Aruba.
Favorite Beaches: ADICORA, Venezuela - WIND PARADISE
Style: racing
Gear: Enata foil, R1V2

Postby noellco » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:55 pm

Hi there! Search no longer!

Buchanan has awesome conditions, strong steady wind and flat water. I’ve been teaching there on a weekly basis for the last few months and also training my kitefoil racing sometimes.

I’m a very experienced certified kite coach now living in Austin, last year I invested in an all new inflatable boat, top of the line kite school gear and just stablished my first kiteboarding school, where I apply everything that I liked from the places around the continent and Caribbean Sea that I’ve worked as an instructor for the last decade.

Named the school “Austin Kiteboarding” we include everything needed for the lessons and provide the most efficient and fun teaching experience.

Lessons are run by boat support and radio communication system after learning all the basics and safety on a rock-free sandbar.
I also have a online booking system with more info on the lessons and Q&A phone call service.

Please send me an email to: kiteboardingatx@gmail.com
For more info and the link to my booking website.

noellco
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaibo lake, Venezuela.
Fisherman huts, Aruba.
Favorite Beaches: ADICORA, Venezuela - WIND PARADISE
Style: racing
Gear: Enata foil, R1V2

Postby noellco » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:15 pm

Wish I could add videos here.
Attachments
2126E42E-0E4A-4D25-B2BF-2A0E97700388.jpeg
Happy student

H2Ofriendly
Rare Poster

Postby H2Ofriendly » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:46 am

Hi Noel,
I talked to you on the Shaw island. I believe it was the same student with you that time. I see your kite regularly there. You are the guy I was referring to who started teaching on the lake. Unfortunately I can't afford your rates but I do appreciate you promoting the sport here. I do like your gear. Beware that "awesome" conditions here can turn into a nasty storm in a hurry. This lake has a reputation for an unpredictable weather.

Return to “Kitesurfing”