Kiteboard weight

Forum for kitesurfers
RomeUtah
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Tropical beaches of UT, snow and sand
Favorite Beaches: Rufus, LB, Pismo
Style: straight air to tomohawk
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cab, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards, liquid force foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Kiteboard weight

Postby RomeUtah » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:37 pm

I ride a relatively heavy board, tona pop, and love it for durability, the pop, and the chop busting ability. I can land almost in any direction without catching an edge. There are a bunch of pros to the board but the big con is that it is heavy, even with straps. I am having carbon board envy, between the crazy fly, axis, carve. Am I missing out on anything by riding the tank? Are there any major pros in riding a lighter board? Less fatigue on the legs? Whats the concensus from those who have ridden heavier almost wake style boards and are on light boards, or vice versa.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiteboard weight

Postby leeuwen » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:06 pm

Note that carbon usually means a stiffer board and that can be heavy on the knees.
Obviously a lighter board can feels lighter / more nimble to ride (also depends heavily on shape/size) and saving weight can be nice for doing board-off kind of things.
For just average riding style I would doubt that another kg or two really matter much for your legs since most of the time you are standing on it rather then lugging it around.

I would recommend to try out as much boards as possible to see what you like (e.g. ask nicely on your local beach and people are usually ok to swap boards for a bit)
Some non-carbon boards are also quite light including e.g. the lieuwe shotgun so you are not limited to carbon only.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Kiteboard weight

Postby edt » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:06 pm

Heavy boards are fine for any trick except doing a board off. That's when you want carbon so much easier with a light board. My board with boots is heavy my board with straps is light

Return to “Kitesurfing”