Local Beach: Coyote Point, CA
Style: Freestyle, starting foiling
Gear: Airush Diamond V1 7, 9 and 12. Blankforce MK5 & Advisory
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pulse vs. Dice (or Union)

Postby iwave » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:41 am

edt wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:33 pm
Whatever you get, let us know. I need a new wakestyle kite my old one is getting pretty used up.
I can't find a Pulse to try. But I'll try a Reach to get a sense of the North gear.
I'll also try the Eleveight FS (their freestyle kite for unhooking).
I'll let you know.

iwave
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004

Postby iwave » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:47 am

Any opinions on the unhooking performance of the Pulse vs. Dice?
And also bar pressure and loop radius?

X-Fly
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 65
Local Beach: La Palmyre
Style: Freestyle / big air
Gear: Eleveight FS 12m/10m/9m
North Orbit 9m/8m/7m
Core Choice 4 133

Postby X-Fly » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:45 pm

iwave wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:47 am
Dice and Pulse are similar for unhook, but on the Dice I can not feel when the power is up or down, so not enough précisé to unhook (for me),
The loop are good for both kites. More hang time and a bit more powerful on the Dice.

iwave
Medium Poster

Postby iwave » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:59 pm

X-Fly wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:45 pm
iwave wrote:
Dice and Pulse are similar for unhook, but on the Dice I can not feel when the power is up or down, so not enough précisé to unhook (for me),
The loop are good for both kites. More hang time and a bit more powerful on the Dice.
Thanks! How would you say the bar pressure on the Pulse compares to the Dice? Same? Less?

X-Fly
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 65
Local Beach: La Palmyre
Style: Freestyle / big air
Gear: Eleveight FS 12m/10m/9m
North Orbit 9m/8m/7m
Core Choice 4 133

Postby X-Fly » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:56 am

iwave wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:59 pm
X-Fly wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:45 pm
iwave wrote:
Thanks! How would you say the bar pressure on the Pulse compares to the Dice? Same? Less?
Less bar pressure on the Pulse than the Dice, but the power management is more predicable (for unhooked freestyle).
These users thanked the author X-Fly for the post:
iwave (Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

elmarco
Medium Poster

Postby elmarco » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:03 pm

iwave wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:15 pm
elmarco wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:44 pm
completely disagree that the union has high bar pressure. quite the opposite, it's pretty far on the light bar pressure side.
I loop and unhook on the union and love it. it always catches you.
What size were you on? I generally only unhook on the 12m, and only loop 9 or smaller.
Some low 12m loops, but nothing big.
I was on the 2022 Union 12m on the low bar pressure setting. I agree that I would not qualify it high bar pressure (the Dice 2022 is), but it's definitely not light bar pressure. I would qualify it as medium +. I did not try the 9m. But to me the 12m looped wide and slow.
After trying it for 1 hour my elbows were sore.
BTW, are you referring to the 2022 Union? Kites may change quite drastically from year to year.
With all the kites I tried, I don't think the 2022 12m Union is a well looping kite (at least not in my universe).
I am glad it works for you though.
I've ridden every 12m Union since 2018. They're low bar pressure kites. I've had elbow issues on kites, never a thought on the union, something was wrong with your rig.
Also, 12m isn't a looping kite, it's a park it and wakestyle/freestyle, or send it for floaty med-light wind.
While I do loop it for low looped tricks & heli loops, I'd never go big and loop on it, nor would I do that on any 12m...

Sounds like you want a kite that will loop fast without a ton of pull. 3 struts like the union and dice are rewarding, but they'll kick your ass if you're not ready for them.
Check out the Airush Session. It loops FAST, but, it doesn't pull like a baby. You get a yank jolt as it loops, but its back up and running in no time. Some wave kites turn/pivot so fast, you get no pull out of them, so you get to loop, but, nothing happens except that you get to show your buddies that the kite is looping.

iwave
Medium Poster

Postby iwave » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:12 pm

elmarco wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:03 pm
Check out the Airush Session. It loops FAST, but, it doesn't pull like a baby. You get a yank jolt as it loops, but its back up and running in no time. Some wave kites turn/pivot so fast, you get no pull out of them, so you get to loop, but, nothing happens except that you get to show your buddies that the kite is looping.
I agree that a 12m is generally not a kite to loop. For me, it was just a test during the demo (since I only had the 12m on that day), and I thought it looped wide and slow (relatively speaking, compared to other 12m I tried). Personally, I would qualify the bar pressure on the 12m 2022 Union as medium. That's coming from a comparison with other 12m I tried which had lighter bar pressure while performing the same maneuvers (unless calling those ultra-light).

I had wanted to try the Session since it came out but could not find one to try. I am sure it loops tight and fast (and is probably good as an all-round kite). But I wonder how good it would be at unhooking since it is presented as a wave kite, with likely a lot of drift, so I wonder if it would backstall while unhooking, or not giving you the pop, in less powered conditions. Do you have any thoughts about that? Or, better, have you tried unhooking on the Session?

elmarco
Medium Poster

Postby elmarco » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:17 pm

iwave wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:12 pm
elmarco wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:03 pm
I agree that a 12m is generally not a kite to loop. For me, it was just a test during the demo (since I only had the 12m on that day), and I thought it looped wide and slow (relatively speaking, compared to other 12m I tried). Personally, I would qualify the bar pressure on the 12m 2022 Union as medium. That's coming from a comparison with other 12m I tried which had lighter bar pressure while performing the same maneuvers (unless calling those ultra-light).

I had wanted to try the Session since it came out but could not find one to try. I am sure it loops tight and fast (and is probably good as an all-round kite). But I wonder how good it would be at unhooking since it is presented as a wave kite, with likely a lot of drift, so I wonder if it would backstall while unhooking, or not giving you the pop, in less powered conditions. Do you have any thoughts about that? Or, better, have you tried unhooking on the Session?
I've unhooked a little bit on the session, more in the winter than I have in the summer. Mostly winter rails and kicker hits. Trimmed properly, no issues. Much closer to the union than a 5 strut big air kite which absolutely sucks to unhook on. It's a bit faster, which can be a pain unhooking sometimes.
if you want to unhook and do quick fast "safe" loops, the session is good.
if you want to unhook and max out the pull on your loop and you're already an experienced looper, union 100%.
My opinion for unhooking, just stay away from dedicated big air kites, trim your kite properly, stick to bigger kites and you can learn all the basics. Also if your wind conditions are gusty and choppy, learning to unhook sucks. a lot.

iwave
Medium Poster

Postby iwave » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:59 am

elmarco wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:17 pm
if you want to unhook and do quick fast "safe" loops, the session is good.
if you want to unhook and max out the pull on your loop and you're already an experienced looper, union 100%.
Thanks, that helps!

Return to “Kitesurfing”