Gear: Ss - 6m raptor
North 9/12m orbit
OR - 10m rise/ 14.5m flite
Core board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Single strut kite in strong wind

Postby kitemancan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:27 pm

It depends what you want to do with it. If you're worried about it jellyfishing though you should be fine with a 7m in 25knots.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:50 pm

I've got a couple 3 strut kites, some 5 strut kites, and a Core xlite single strut. The single strut has the smallest range, and is best for light wind, but the smaller sizes are designed for higher wind foiling. Single struts will flap in higher wind, and they have lower wind ranges, and I they pull quite a bit less. I think you'll be better served with a 3 strut or 5 strut kite as your smallest kite. I actually foil with a 7m 5 strut kite, but I'm 215lbs, and I can ride that up to high 20s low 30s.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:23 pm

I've tried and owned single strut kites, and while they have advantages in weight for foiling and wave riding, much less so for TT riding, and even less for strong winds. Main feature of single struts (or no struts) is about canopy flutter in some parts of the profile. You can send the kite across the window while depowered, and the flutter means that it won't zoom through the window at Mach3 and yank you along the way. That's pretty handy when foiling after a jibe or when going from deep downwind to hard upwind, which you do when foiling.
On a TT in strong winds, most of the control of the power comes through edging hard to keep the kite at the edge of wind window. On a single strut, to do that, you have to keep the kite sheeted in a fair bit, to keep the profile clean. If you push the bar out too much, flutter comes in and the kite stays deeper in the window, and you'll have residual power (grunt) and at the same time a kite profile that is not optimal for control in those conditions. You'll feel the flutter and some jellyfishing in the bar. OK for the odd gust, but riding powered like that eventually gets annoying.

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:00 pm

Soli wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:16 pm
I forgot to add i use a twintip board.
I'm still at mid-level kiting, not into big air or waves (yet).
I know there are quite a few single-strut-fans here in this forum, but in my opinion they are the best way to slow down your progress on a TT as much as possible. Do yourself a favour and buy a proper 3-strut or even a 5-strut kite for higher winds with a stable profile. You will progress much quicker and have more fun.

One struts are not designed for high, gusty winds or jumping. They are mainly designed for low-powered foil riding and surface maneuvers.
These users thanked the author cor for the post:
SENDIT! (Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:44 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:45 pm

cor wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:00 pm
Soli wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:16 pm
I forgot to add i use a twintip board.
I'm still at mid-level kiting, not into big air or waves (yet).
I know there are quite a few single-strut-fans here in this forum, but in my opinion they are the best way to slow down your progress on a TT as much as possible. Do yourself a favour and buy a proper 3-strut or even a 5-strut kite for higher winds with a stable profile. You will progress much quicker and have more fun.

One struts are not designed for high, gusty winds or jumping. They are mainly designed for low-powered foil riding and surface maneuvers.
Exactly, but given the fact the user is about 60kgs, and we're only realistically talking about 25-30kts max, I assume the load on the kite will never be high enough to warrant the extra profile stability provided by the 5 strut designs. Allround 3-strut kites will do just fine.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
Soli (Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:25 am)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:24 pm

I have had success with the new boxer in gusty and high wind conditions, but I do prefer the slash for that. I think for foiling the boxer is a gusty eating machine, but for a TT I would go pivot or slash.
Definitely feels like there have been changes to the boxer through the years and the newer feels a lot more stable and solid. Boxer is my preferred kite for foiling and the best ever kite for snow kiting.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:
Soli (Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:26 am)

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:32 am

I ride single strut kites from 12 knots up to 50 knots. Never had any issues specific to them in high wind.

And to the people who claim single strut kites have a smaller wind range: that's not my experience at all. I've found them to have the biggest wind range of types of kites.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:
Soli (Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:26 am)

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:51 am

Slappysan wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:32 am
I ride single strut kites from 12 knots up to 50 knots. Never had any issues specific to them in high wind.

And to the people who claim single strut kites have a smaller wind range: that's not my experience at all. I've found them to have the biggest wind range of types of kites.
I'll bite. What do you have?

I remember Plummet used to claim that he could ride from 8-40 knots with his 8m Ozone Catalyst (3 strut kite). What range do your kites give you?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:54 pm

My Ultra v2 9m goes from 13-15kn on HF

to 30-35 kn with 10-15m jumps on TT and flat water.

Tool for the job. I usually jump higher than any other kiters on my local. But thats because Im 60kg ;)

Of course a single strut does not work for heavy riders. They need a different tool.

To be fair, people never tried Ultra, so they judge all 1 struts on different products. Which is, of course, wrong. It only means it did not work for them. Simple as that.
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
Soli (Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:27 am)

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:31 pm

downunder wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:54 pm
Tool for the job. I usually jump higher than any other kiters on my local. But thats because Im 60kg ;)
Give a high performance freeride 5 strut kite (Rebel, XR, Orbit, Edge,....) to someone who knows what he/she is doing and he/she will for sure jump higher than with any 1-strut. Yes, also the guy with 60 Kg.

According to some statements in this thread, we would see single strut kites be used in big air competitions by lighter riders in ultragusty 40-50knots conditions. I am just waiting for the moment someone claims that 1-struts megaloop better than 3-struts or 5-struts.
Last edited by cor on Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author cor for the post:
Soli (Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:28 am)

Return to “Kitesurfing”