Style: Beginner
Gear: Naish Pívot 11m
Roberto Ricci Design 8m
Brand Affiliation: None

Single strut kite in strong wind

Postby Soli » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:49 am

Hey there,

I own 9m and 12m North Reach kites.
So I'm missing a 7m kite for 25 knots conditions (I've used my 9m in those conditions but it's way too uncomfortable).
I'm 5"2 weighing 133 lbs (1.60m / 61 kg).
A friend of mine is selling her 2018 North Mono 7m single-strut kite, which she has been using in Tarifa in high and gusty winds for several months now. The kite is perfect conditions.
I'm reading that single-strut kite are for low wind conditions and are used mainly for foiling.
My common sense says a single-strut would suffer too much in high wind conditions.
What's your guys' insight?

(The price is a bargain. Too tempting not to buy :D )

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Re: Single strut kite in strong wind

Postby Windigo1 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:58 pm

I have used a 5M Boxer in gusts up to 50 knots in winter storms on the snow and in the water up to 45 knots with a twintip. I also own a 7M Boxer and I have owned many 7M, 3 and 5 struts. In short it will work but it's not ideal. I bought the 5M Boxer for foiling in 20 to 35 knots I use it in crazy wind because it's the only 5M I own right now. Comparing to a 5 struts or even a 3 stuts it's not as stable and it has a smaller wind range but it's still a 5M and it's a very good kite. If your main goal is big air get a 5 strut big air kite if your goal is waves get a wave kite but if you have it and you want to go out it will work but expect it will be more powerful than a regular 5m and flap a lot more in turns and when overpowered.
Last edited by Windigo1 on Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post:
Soli (Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Soli
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 61 kg / 135 lbs
Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:16 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:58 pm
I have used a 5M Boxer in gusts up to 50 knots in winter storms on the snow and in the water up to 45 knots with a twintip. I also own a 7M Boxer and I have owned many 7M, 3 and 5 struts. In short is will work but it's not ideal. I bought the 5M Boxer for foiling in 20 to 35 knots I use it in crazy wind because it's the only 5M I own right now. Comparing to a 5 struts or even a 3 stuts it's not as stable and it has a smaller wind range but it's still a 5M and it's a very good kite. If your main goal is big air get a 5 strut big air kite if your goal is waves get a wave kite but if you have it and you want to go out if will work but expect it will be more powerful than a regular 5m and flap a lot more in turns and when overpowered.
Thanks much!
I forgot to add i use a twintip board.
I'm still at mid-level kiting, not into big air or waves (yet).
One of the things that worries me about this possible 7m single strut purchase is exactly what you said, and what I read online: it's supposed to be more reactive and "powerful".
At my level that's not what I'm looking for. So that's a good point to think about.

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:33 pm

For your weight a 12m is Lightwind....

So ideal would be 7,9 reach and 12 Mono....

I would never again Change Kite series in my range especially Not for Same purpose.

7 and 9 should be the same.

I could immagine 9reach and 7boxer have Same Power.... But I do Not know ...

Also 2018 Boxer IS pretty old.....

I would Not do it..... Unless your Plan ist Lightwind foiling with the 7m Boxer.
These users thanked the author 1234567Simon for the post:
Soli (Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:29 pm)

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:51 pm

Soli wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:16 pm

Thanks much!
One of the things that worries me about this possible 7m single strut purchase is exactly what you said, and what I read online: it's supposed to be more reactive and "powerful".
At my level that's not what I'm looking for. So that's a good point to think about.
The "(more) powerful" is misleading. besides the number of structs, 1-struct kites usually have narrow wind window and, consequently, are worse in upwind habilities. It's not a huge issue for foil boards but can be a decision factor for someone progressing in twin tip riding as it would be harder to go upwind. These kites fly deeper in the wind window like wave and C kites, thus, it's harder to dial the kite power as the wind changes. They fly more like a "bag of air" pulling us downwind instead of "lifting up" as big air, flatter and higher aspect kites.
These users thanked the author rnelias for the post:
Soli (Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:27 pm)

Soli
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 61 kg / 135 lbs
Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:29 pm

rnelias wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:51 pm
Soli wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:16 pm

Thanks much!
The "(more) powerful" is misleading. besides the number of structs, 1-struct kites usually have narrow wind window and, consequently, are worse in upwind habilities. It's not a huge issue for foil boards but can be a decision factor for someone progressing in twin tip riding as it would be harder to go upwind. These kites fly deeper in the wind window like wave and C kites, thus, it's harder to dial the kite power as the wind changes. They fly more like a "bag of air" pulling us downwind instead of "lifting up" as big air, flatter and higher aspect kites.
(I think) I understand what you are saying :)
Basically by knowing that the Mono would make it difficult to ride upwind, that's enough for me not to get it, since I'm in the process of perfectioning my Upwind riding skills.
Thanks much!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:02 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:33 pm
Also 2018 Boxer IS pretty old.....
LOL. You've been kiting since 2019? So you think a 2018 is "pretty old".

Yeah, I don't think I would go with a single strut 7m kite for using with a TT. Would be fine for foiling & probably for wave riding with a surfboard. But if you're going to be riding it powered up (25 knots at your size is going to be pretty powered) I would go for something more stable - some variety of 3 strut kite.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
Soli (Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:19 am)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:32 pm

Will it work? Sure, but it is kind of the opposite of what most of these kites are made for.

For me it depends on a) how good the deal is b) how often will you ride under these conditions c) what your plans are in terms of progression.

If you get a great deal for a kite you won’t use much anyway then it doesn’t matter that much that the kite isn’t perfect for that kind of riding. Then again why would anyone sell you a kite far below market value?

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:41 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:02 pm

LOL. You've been kiting since 2019? So you think a 2018 is "pretty old".

I really think the 2018 Boxer is different than a 2021...

But hey.... Never tried them.... But I know IT IS a pain in the a@# to have a Kite you do Not like, and that does Not fit to your Riding Style. (Did that twice to save Money, and Not knowing better).

And a one strut does Not fit to a 61kg Twin Tip Rider as the high Wind Kite.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:34 am

Soli wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:49 am
which she has been using in Tarifa in high and gusty winds for several months now. The kite is perfect conditions.
I don't think "used in Tarifa in high and gusty winds for several months " and " kite is perfect conditions" can both be True :D

Sure it might not have rips or had repairs but e.g. the canopy will still wear and stretch making it a worse flying kite then a brand new one.
Such (a)buse in Tarifa will take its toll on the material and it will simply be a worse kite for it both in flying charesteristics and usable remaining lifetime.

So that probably explains the price...

That being said, I agree with most of the other posters.
It is not really its intended design. Being light does make it less of an issue and it will work ish depending on what you want from it.
Just cruising and occasional jump is probably fine in the right conditions if you are ok with some flutter from the kite.
Other then this I would consider based on:
* is the price really a bargain
* what would the alternative option be? No kite? A kite from 2010? At least this is a relatively safe kite...
* note that Duotone uses a high-Y bar so you need either an extra bar, adding to the costs, or buy a line-splitter which adds some hassle adding/taking it off
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
Soli (Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:13 am)

Return to “Kitesurfing”