Forum for kitesurfers
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

Marine PTFE Spray on front lines ?

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:13 am

I have managed to chew through my front lines pretty quickly (1yr), about 2-3m from the trim strap, this is due to lots of rotations, kiteloops etc. Reading a few previous posts where people were using line wax, I'm not keen on this as it's likely to pick up dirt/sand and make the wear worse. Has anyone tried spraying Dyneema lines with Marine PTFE spray ? This is designed to be water repellent and lubricate, so should in theory dramatically reduce wear where the front line are twisting after rotations. Seems like a small blast of this every few weeks/months just on the section where the line cross should work well:

https://www.coastwatersports.co.uk/holt ... -4947.html

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: Marine PTFE Spray on front lines ?

Postby evan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:23 am

I have good experience with just plain paraffin candle wax. The hardest grade you can find (mostly the cheapest ones without additives as perfume etc).

Just rub it over the worn part until it has a thick layer and then go over it with a cloth to melt the wax into the fibers by friction. This gives a nice smooth line again that can't absorb water/dirt and sand won't stick unless you ride in such heat the wax will melt again.
These users thanked the author evan for the post:
northandcold (Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:57 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:45 am

I wish there was extra coating beginning of the lines where back lines cross and front lines if there is twists after rotations/kiteloops. I have been testing to coat them with tape but it won't last for long and looks ugly :D

I have tried also bow string wax. It makes the lines smooth.
Image,

Compound bow strings are mostly dyneema, and wax for them is silicone based. So I think it would be suitable also to kite lines

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:17 pm

I contacted a global, very well known rope brand about this, the technical department just replied suggesting PTFE would be suitable and is inert on Dyneema Line. I think any kind of wax is a definite no for me, the wax will pick up sand, grit, dirt and salt, which just adds to the abrasion.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:37 pm

Don't confuse wax with resin! Wax is oily, slippery and non sticky and mostly while resin is very sticky!

Surf "wax" is a mix between paraffin wax and pine resin to give it the solid properties of wax and stickiness of the resin. But to call that a wax is not the correct term.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:13 pm

Yes people have been lubricating center lines going through the bar since 2002 and trying McLube, Blaster and various waxes.

It seems like wax is the most effective.

As Evan says it’s the melting point that determines stickiness.

Two other high melting point waxes are Carnauba and Beeswax. Consider wax for floors and auto detailing.

I’m working through a can of FleetWax paste wax and I like it pretty well.

The dry-lube sprays and drips are fine as well but will require more frequent applications and cost more.

skyte
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FLEXIFOIL

Postby skyte » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:21 pm

Eurocord used to supply Flexifoil with a teflon coated dyneema line that was circular cross section rather than a hollow, splice-able line.
The wear resistance was great.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:16 pm

I have a friend who uses Q Powerline for the bottom section and Dyneema for the upper section. Seems to work very well. The Powerline handles the abrasion much better and he only has to change the bottom section when it finally does wear. He thinks it is Cheaper and faster by far. I’ve never tried it so no personal experience.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:13 am

knotwindy wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:16 pm
I have a friend who uses Q Powerline for the bottom section and Dyneema for the upper section. Seems to work very well. The Powerline handles the abrasion much better and he only has to change the bottom section when it finally does wear. He thinks it is Cheaper and faster by far. I’ve never tried it so no personal experience.
how he joins the 2 types of line together is going to be interesting, Q line is not spliceable, standard or pro Q line, there is a way of joining but its rubbish, as it causes a tangle obstruction on the join, I would say this is a non starter.
better to use stronger thicker armour coated smooth surface kite line, SK99 or78, 1.7mm to 2mm, short lengths, maybe around 3 to 5 mmtrs long brummel spliced into the standard line set as sacrificial items, works great for me,
is it easy to do? not for most guys its not, sounds easy, but without lots of experience and all the skills needed then you may well regret starting this Fix, easy only for guys like me who do this for a job every week, and have been perfecting the best way to get the lengths all back in tune.

Return to “Kitesurfing”