Forum for kitesurfers
DDC
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Plumb NY
Gear: Cabrihna and north
Brand Affiliation: None

best board for jumping in chop

Postby DDC » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:33 pm

What type of board is good for boosting in chop? I have found that when I ride my smallest board it doesn't feel as in control in the chop. I know that boards like the Mako are great in chop but they don't jump well. What's the right balance on type of board (stiffness etc..) and size of board as well?

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: best board for jumping in chop

Postby SENDIT! » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:39 pm

No idea who told you that the Mako doesn’t jump well. I’ve had PLENTY of 10-15m jumps on it. Seen others doing similarly, too. It requires a bit more technique than a run-of-the-mill twintip, but it certainly jumps fine. What board are you riding now that you’re having problems with?

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:50 pm

SENDIT! wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:39 pm
No idea who told you that the Mako doesn’t jump well. I’ve had PLENTY of 10-15m jumps on it. Seen others doing similarly, too. It requires a bit more technique than a run-of-the-mill twintip, but it certainly jumps fine. What board are you riding now that you’re having problems with?
I agree with SENDIT! The Mako / Nomad Wave boards work quite well with sent jumps. They' don't work for load & pop / wake-style tricks, but you're not going to be doing wake-style in chop. There is no better board in the chop than the Mako / Nomad style boards.

If you're dead set against a Mako style board, then look for a twin-tip with a large double-concave bottom. The double-concave twintips bust up chop very well...but not quite as well as a Mako. A couple examples of twintips with large double-concave bottoms are: Ocean Rodeo Smoothy & Core Fusion.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:08 pm

the mako doesn't generate much pop, however, if you send the mako off a kicker it will jump as high as any other board since you aren't relying on the board to generate pop you are getting your pop from the kicker. I think if you have a woo and care about getting that extra 1 or 2 inches then you want a board that is fairly stiff and flat (like the jaime SLS 139cm, which is my favorite board) so you can load up and get some speed into the jump. On a smaller board it can be hard to keep your edge because you are bouncing around more. That said, if you look at the king of the air, the board barely matters. All that matters is the kind of kite they are using.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:32 pm

edt wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:08 pm
the mako doesn't generate much pop, however, if you send the mako off a kicker it will jump as high as any other board since you aren't relying on the board to generate pop you are getting your pop from the kicker. I think if you have a woo and care about getting that extra 1 or 2 inches then you want a board that is fairly stiff and flat (like the jaime SLS 139cm, which is my favorite board) so you can load up and get some speed into the jump. On a smaller board it can be hard to keep your edge because you are bouncing around more. That said, if you look at the king of the air, the board barely matters. All that matters is the kind of kite they are using.
I agree with that I had a Mako and that's one reason I sold it. It's hard to hold and edge and generate tension in your lines the board just wants to go through the chop smoothly. It's too rounded too soft, of course you can jump with the kite but you would get more height with a more aggressive board. So far I haven't found a board I like more than my old Axis Limited but sadly they don't make it anymore Axis is all about foiling now!
Last edited by Windigo1 on Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:17 pm

I think something super stiff, square, with bottom contours shapes.
My favorite is the Monarch. It is stiff, and the bottom contours help cut the chop at speed while being in control which is what you need to boost.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:43 pm

the monarch is terrible in chop while it does go better upwind than other wakestyle board it doesn't rocket upwind like other flatter boards, it bounces all over the place and wrecks the knees, also it has a low top speed, so that when you do take off on your boost, you won't go as high as with the jaime sls. However, the monarch is fantastic in mirror smooth water with zero chop doing wakestyle handle passes. I put the monarch in the same category as the vegas and other wakestyle boards, limited to only doing handle passes and only in perfectly smooth water.

Tautologies you are a beast! My knees hurt all day the last time I used the monarch in chop.

DDC
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Plumb NY
Gear: Cabrihna and north

Postby DDC » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:42 am

SENDIT! wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:39 pm
I have a 139/42 Jaime that is 4 years old and a new 132 SlS Select. I am 145lbs so can ride smaller boards. The Jaime was my first board but I now use it as my lower wind board. I did that the 132 is great in flat water but really hard to hold an edge in chop. I was wondering if it’s the board model that’s the issue or the size. I am sure it’s also my skills…

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:55 am

139 is too big for you. I'm 205 pounds and that size is right for me so you would want a smaller one. 132 select is perfect for boosting huge in chop at your weight. Work on your skills! You can do it. Post a video that's the quickest way to see how to improve.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
SENDIT! (Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:49 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:25 am

I would just try as many boards as you can in your local conditions.
Make some friends on the beach and usually people are fine with exchanging a board for a quick session.

Also note that there are many different kinds of chop AND you also have to take into account wind/boosting direction vs chop direction.
What might work really work well in one type of chop because things line up might work less good in other kinds of chop.
Eg if things work out you can just cut through chop and a very stiff board might be great while with a slightly different angle your knees will be toast and you would highly prefer something that is less stiff.

Return to “Kitesurfing”