Postby Greenturtle » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:17 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:53 pm
Sorry to interject again but
To all those folks telling you to exercise
Nah, not until the muscle itself and the muscle group is functioning properly
You REALLY don’t want to push a muscle that is damaged already
So eventually sure, just not yet. Again, you’re welcome. 😂
Ok. I will keep the exercise level set to light sex and massage at this point, for sure.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Knee Advice (Overuse)

Postby edt » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:47 pm

You want some load on the joint while you are recovering. If you have seen someone with major repairs hip knee replacement they start exercising the patient in a day or two. I'm not a doctor though so don't take it as gospel. I do know that the longer that joint is immobile the longer the recovery.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
Greenturtle (Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:01 pm

edt wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:47 pm
You want some load on the joint while you are recovering. If you have seen someone with major repairs hip knee replacement they start exercising the patient in a day or two. I'm not a doctor though so don't take it as gospel. I do know that the longer that joint is immobile the longer the recovery.
Yes, of course, light steady motion is important for healing. Joints or muscles but the key is light & steady. You are trying to increase blood flow without further injuring the tissue. We are not talking about immobilized, just minimal loading. It’s why when you start into rehab, you should be starting with passive ROM, then active, then exercise.
As an aside stretching is as, if not more important, than exercise. Stretching can increase the reflex response to protect the joints so the opposing muscle relaxes faster to decrease pressure on the joint/cartilage. Think of it as making the muscle smarter. You don’t want strong dumb muscles. :nono: Even for light sex! :naughty:
Edit; besides, we are talking about only a week of rest here, not months.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post (total 3):
dracop (Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:20 pm) • edt (Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:00 am) • Greenturtle (Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:21 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

kitelife361
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Corpus Christi
Gear: Cabrinha, Naish, Ozone, Crazyfly, Slingshot.
Has thanked: 0

Postby kitelife361 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:15 am

y2kBug wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:39 am
kitelife361 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:25 am
My own mitigation strategy for knee pain/instability is to use weightlifting brace, use softer board (avoid carbon unless the wind is nuking) and always ride strapless when possible. Something as simple as a difference in flexibility between any part of your legs or a small difference in leg length, or something as serious as a partial tear to your MCL that will only get worse with time could be causing your discomfort. After 40, any kind of arthritis is also possible and there is not much one can do for this beyond RICE, yoga, stretching, Pilates. Start foiling, twin tip/surf once a week at most is the best advice without a kite specific orthopedic doctor after an MRI.
Want to clarify. Do you mean weightlifting belt or knee support brace?
Knee support neoprene brace. 5-7mm neoprene brace mainly used in weightlifting for additional knee protection when doing squats. Provides some stability and is not as intrusive or expensive as knee brace.

Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: BIG AIR
Gear: Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Soul
Brand Affiliation: Epickites Cyprus Rep/Rider, Kiteflex team rider

Postby Soleas » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:01 am

Sounds like overuse mate. Inside of the knee takes most stress so thats where it usually hurts more.
Yeah age plays a small role but I know people in their 60s who still rip. Knees hurt but who cares as long as they work :D
I had knee surgery about 12 years ago, ACL and miniscus repair but that was from a bad megaloop landing which blew up my ACL. 4 months later I started kiting and one year later I was fully back in action. No problems after that.

My advice for eliminating pain and problems is just 2 things.
Number 1 DIET. Change your diet to a healthy one.
And number 2 is YOGA! YOGA is the BEST exercise for the knees, joints, back, flexibility etc.

Forget the doctors unless you break a bone or ligament or smth. Oh and don't wear a knee brace!! It makes the whole leg weaker! Brace only helps if you had ligament surgery or really bad ligaments.

sends
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: sandy hook, harvey cedars new jersey.
Favorite Beaches: tarifa,the Outer Banks miami beach.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8, 9, 11 and 12m. 2023 North Orbits. 14M. Switch Element 7.
133cm Lieuwe Shotgun& 137 Core fusion.
Has thanked: 0

Postby sends » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:44 pm

am 51 been kiting 17 years on and off. I was a competitive cyclist until I was 46. I got knee pain from kiting so i got softer footpads (liquid force). At 45 my left knee started really hurting while riding the bike i went to see a spots medicine doctor. She ordered a MRI and the MRI showed that I had Fat pad (Fat Pad Impingement) and with arthritis on the knee. She gave me a shot of cortisone told me to take 2 weeks off. She recommend it that i get gel injection every 6 months. I did that and since then no more problem no knee pain. I really recommend that you go see a sports medicine doctor and get they’re advice because if you look at the web for answer it will drive you nuts.
Best of luck.

flying grandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Siemiany,
Favorite Beaches: Stegna, Orle, Karwia
Style: hydrofoil long distance, slalom, waves
Gear: ZEEKO, Takuma, Sonic, Kestrel
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Postby flying grandpa » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:29 pm

I am 69. I had some helth problems and lerned, that main couse is my diet, ie. to much carbohydrates. They couse insuline resistance, and are pro inflammatory.
Now i’m on a keto diet with the addition of protein - mainly eggs on bacon. My fitness increased pains and injuries are gone.
This sweedish guy below explains all simply and clear.
These users thanked the author flying grandpa for the post:
Greenturtle (Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:20 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:09 pm

Hey guys just want to say thank you again, and give an update now that Im feeling about 90%.

I found after some careful kite exploration again that it was riding surfboards that caused this. As soon as I try to cut even slightly harder toeside hacks it aggravated the knee again terribly. The twisting motion and also just the constant bent knee positions. Soooooo I guess thats out of the picture for me for a while longer, even riding goofy, just the whole style and body positions of surf riding aggravated it. TT riding generally speaking, even boosts and landings felt pretty good, considering.

Since then and most recently, I traveled for our annual elk hunting again (no choice to delay this), and to my surprise did ok. In fact, post hunt Im feeling really good. I can say exactly what helped strengthen it: Stepping over thousands of fallen dead trees! In the end this high stepping seemed to strengthen the knees a lot and I feel like I could do anything again, although I will definitely not touch a surfboard for at least a couple more months. I will be adding a high step exercise routine regularly now.

Im excited for the fall season winds and just the fact that things are returning to normal for me. Stretching a lot more, massage, and diet also for sure are making a difference. Seems like common sense but hearing it from you fellow riders definitely pushed me to actually put it all into practice and stick with it.

For tonights diet and therapy, a dinner of elk loin followed by sexxx :D

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:48 pm

I'm 40, and having kneed pain on my left leg, my front leg for the most part. I kited up to 3 sessions a day in august after not kiting a ton in June or July... so the soreness just kinda built up and didn't fade. I've done a lot of foam rolling and theragunning, and thats helped me recover a little bit in between. I definitely should stay off it, but I went kiting yesterday and the wind was enough to boost, so I did, and I consider it a huge victory that the kneed doesn't hurt more :) Off to see a physical therapist at 8am tomorrow hoping to figure out what type of mechanics might be causing the problem, and hoping I can resolve it with some stretching and some exercises. Stopping isn't an option.

Return to “Kitesurfing”