Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Hot days; bad for kiting!

Postby Bille » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:46 am

Hottest day ever recorded, in the UK ; NAHhh , climate
ain't changing , it's all fake news !!! LOL

What are these changes, gonna do for kiteboarding ?
More sun/block ?

I wanna listen to the Dumb A$$'s ; what do ya got to say ?

Bille

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Hot days ; bad for kiting !!

Postby OzBungy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:58 am

In Australia it's not unusual to get 45C days in summer with nuking gusty northerly winds. They're some of the best fun days for kiting and wing foiling.

Wing foiling has come to the fore because often the beach close to the water is packed with people. It's much easier to stroll through with a wing than to deal with a kite trying to drop out of the sky onto the beach goers.

Counter intuitively I wear a wetsuit and boots on 45C days. The boots are needed to walk across the sand without burning your feet. The wetsuit protects against sunburn. More importantly, after a session the wetsuit holds water against my skin keeping me cool. Drop into the water from time to time to refresh the water.

After the session I flush the wetsuit through and keep it on while I pack up my gear. It keeps me cool and keeps the sun off. Once the gear is packed I start the car and get the air conditioner running. Strip off the wetsuit, rinse with cold water, dress and drive off in a relatively cool car.

Reflective insulated window shades help a lot in keeping the car cool.

Boston kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Naaaaaahant
Favorite Beaches: Chapin, Kalmus, Wing, Horseneck, Hardings, Hatch, Good Harbor.
Style: freeride , boost, surf, foil
Gear: Duotone 11 rebel sls, 9m Pivot sls 7m Pivot 9m UFO

Crazyfly Raptor pro, Slingshot Celero Cab secret agent/Lift 170 classic
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hot days ; bad for kiting!

Postby Boston kiter » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:28 am

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:21 am

OzBungy wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:58 am
In Australia it's not unusual to get 45C days in summer with nuking gusty northerly winds. They're some of the best fun days for kiting and wing foiling.

Wing foiling has come to the fore because often the beach close to the water is packed with people. It's much easier to stroll through with a wing than to deal with a kite trying to drop out of the sky onto the beach goers.

Counter intuitively I wear a wetsuit and boots on 45C days. The boots are needed to walk across the sand without burning your feet. The wetsuit protects against sunburn. More importantly, after a session the wetsuit holds water against my skin keeping me cool. Drop into the water from time to time to refresh the water.

After the session I flush the wetsuit through and keep it on while I pack up my gear. It keeps me cool and keeps the sun off. Once the gear is packed I start the car and get the air conditioner running. Strip off the wetsuit, rinse with cold water, dress and drive off in a relatively cool car.

Reflective insulated window shades help a lot in keeping the car cool.
Brazil is not as hot as Australia in the summer but I find weird when the news tell about "heat waves" in Europe and people suffering, even dying, in 45 Celsius. I live in Rio de Janeiro and 45 Celsius is usual in the summer. Sea water get "cold" in this season, which for brazilian standards is about 20 Celsius :P , and it's due to a natural phenomena (currents coming from antarctica).

Capitals in the North of the country, like Manaus and Belem, regions surrounded by Amazon forest, are hot as hell. The air is humid, there are rainstorms everyday, and the feelling is horrible for people that is not used to. We sweat like crazy.

I've already went to Dubai once and remember that temperatures there were reaching 50 Celsius outside but the dry air soften the feeling (it's like a dry sauna outside :D )

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:49 am

The heat can also mess with the seabreeze in west oz. Remember when Perth was getting really hot in November and wind was crappy as up north.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:04 am

rnelias wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:21 am
Brazil is not as hot as Australia in the summer but I find weird when the news tell about "heat waves" in Europe and people suffering, even dying, in 45 Celsius. I live in Rio de Janeiro and 45 Celsius is usual in the summer
I think a big part of this is that the housing and society aren't setup for this in Northern parts of Europe.
Houses are usually heavily insulated because of the winter time but often don't have any aircon because it was never really needed except for an odd summer day every 40 years or so.
So houses can get extremely hot inside and people up North aren't used to these temps.
Also the population build-up is quite different with e.g. median age in UK being 40 while brazil it is about 30.
Last but not least, even if there are people dying due to heat in Brazil it is probably a lot less likely to hit the news ...
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
rnelias (Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:06 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:35 am

Dude. We are a country adapted to cooler weather (note not Cold weather - just cool weather).

Go out in Newcastle in the run up to Christmas (temperatures typically 0-6c ) and you'll probably not see a single person wearing a coat or jumper. Most people will be in short sleeves/mini skirts. Take the temperature you would be happy to wear shorts, t-shirts and flip flops and add 30c on to that temperature. Can you see why this might be a problem? :D

However, it does seem to be bad for kiting. Too much weird thermal wind effect stuff going on - wind dropping to nothing in minutes and yesterday picking up from 5 knots to 30 knots in minutes too. You have to be lucky to get a session in at the moment and that's not just the problems with getting a parking spot near the beach.

LePhasme
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 74
Local Beach: City Beach (Perth, Au)
Favorite Beaches: Shoalwater
Augusta
Nickolson point
Style: Big air
Gear: Duotone rebel (7, 10, 12)
Cabrinha ace 135x40

Postby LePhasme » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:49 am

OzBungy wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:58 am
It really depends on the area, on the west coast 40+ days = no wind, except in some part in the south west/south where it can be nuking.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:34 am

Why would it be bad? Why wouldn’t more spots be available around the world?

Funny how some just see doom everywhere in the name of “science”. I’m not sitting in the mountains looking over landscape that used to be covered by kilometres of ice. But somehow now even the smallest change in temperature means we are all going to die and kiting will get worse.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
RedSky (Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:03 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:26 pm

Here in central Canada warm weather usually means little to no wind. It really depends of the location in Cabarete for example the best wind is in the warm summer days the thermal wind is very strong!

Return to “Kitesurfing”