StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

GoPro Remote Waterproofing

Postby StellaBlu » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:02 pm

I've had a lot of issues with water infiltration in the GoPro remote. Just got a replacement and found the charging area corroded after a SINGLE use. I always close the "waterproof" cover, but water seems to get in there regardless. This is the third unit I have gone through. I have been unsuccessful in reviving a unit once the corrosion starts.

Anybody else have this issue? Any modifications or suggestions on how to prevent this? I guess I can tape the cover shut and maybe that would help - but its pretty annoying that this is advertised as waterproof and it doesn't work as designed.

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Re: GoPro Remote Waterproofing

Postby flying doctor » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:51 pm

StellaBlu wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:02 pm
I've had a lot of issues with water infiltration in the GoPro remote. Just got a replacement and found the charging area corroded after a SINGLE use. I always close the "waterproof" cover, but water seems to get in there regardless. This is the third unit I have gone through. I have been unsuccessful in reviving a unit once the corrosion starts.

Anybody else have this issue? Any modifications or suggestions on how to prevent this? I guess I can tape the cover shut and maybe that would help - but its pretty annoying that this is advertised as waterproof and it doesn't work as designed.
Yep same here, second unit I just received started smoking on first charge.. I can't believe they think it would be waterproof with just the flimsy cover.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:00 am

Doesn't Gopro have some sort of speech input mode. Could you just shout at the go pro to start/stop it recording? (https://www.captureguide.com/gopro-voice-commands/)

Otherwise - get one of those Aquapac key bags and hang it around your neck instead of on your wrist. You'll be able to operate the buttons still even when closed.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:35 am

I had the same issue. I actually ordered another one, but that has the same. I ended up testing if I could wash the port out with fresh water after every session. That worked. So at least both seem to have water resistent USB Ports. After about a year both remotes are still working just fine.

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
SENDIT! (Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:14 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:55 am

gmb13 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:35 am
I had the same issue. I actually ordered another one, but that has the same. I ended up testing if I could wash the port out with fresh water after every session. That worked. So at least both seem to have water resistent USB Ports. After about a year both remotes are still working just fine.

--
Gunnar
Makes me slightly nervous, but if you say it works, then this is great feedback. Thank you!

To the previous poster, the speech commands are unreliable if the camera is far from you or if it’s really windy.

taiguy
Medium Poster

Postby taiguy » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:17 am

gmb13 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:35 am

--
Gunnar
I've been rinsing out the USB C port on the remote with fresh water minutes after coming back to the beach and today I found green corrosion on the port, after just 3 days of this routine.

Has anybody found a clear "drybag" that isn't huge and the remote can live in for ocean use?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:02 am

My experiences (correlates fully with Gunnars on The Remote)

In short about The Remote:

Wash with freshwater after use, inside the gasket.
DONT charge it after rinsed - wait till it is totally dry, open the gasket/flap so sure it dries, or it might "go up in smoke" when you charge.

The long one:

We are talking about "The Remote" which works for GoPro Hero 8 and up, and Max.

The "Smart Remote" works for older heros up to and also Hero 8, it has a lot better range, and you can shut the camera down to save power while going upwind, and turn it on later (most of the time it works, not always), but it does not show remaining battery on your camera.
On this one, corrosion was an issue, and one needed to know how to reset this one, as otherwise it could "die", without being dead.
Did not happen often, and you can google the reset (on both models), it is not written in any manual.
Bugger, as if battery is empty, you can not be sure if your charging isnt fully connected because of oxidation (corrosion) or if it needs a reset - tricked me many times till I found out.
And the goldplated contacts needs a "scrape" or rinse with contact cleaner now and then.
One or two went dead of other reasons, so not as sturdy (electronics not a mechanical issue) and I got a replacement from the shop each time, nice.

Back to The Remote, not the same range as Smart Remote so not as good for a kitecam remote, but works fine for a linecam mostly, and has other advantages like being able to see the remaining power on the camera besides multiple cams can be connected and somehow the "turn the camera on" works a lot better than the Smart Remote.
And one can set the auto camera shutdown to minimum time if you want to save the battery out there for longer non activity periods, as you can not shut camera down from the remote, but as said, the "turn camera on" works quite good.
It has AWESOME battery life, almost no power consumption so dont need to be charged very often :thumb:
Which is good, because as said, if it has been in saltwater and wet, you WILL destroy it immediately when charging.
If in saltwater and dry, salt might still have the USB-C connector literally go up in smoke.
If rinsed with freshwater and wet, you might also ruin the connector.

The gasket is not a water proofing, more like a protection for "everything else" but not water in our use.

I had one connector "burn" on mine so useless when battery was dead (a lot later - lasts almost forever even if you use it every second day), and bought a new one as I use it very often.
Suddenly the connector started to work again, and I have been able to charge ever since (3 months), so I sold my new one to a friend, it was still unopened just bought it when my battery on the first one was dead, as it could not be charged anymore - but it has worked ever since.
Used over a year now, used every second or third day maybe.

Slight corrosion might occur, but usually it will still continue to work just fine.
As said, if wet or dry salty, you WILL ruin the USB-C connector, it charges quite rapidly meaning considerable current so it can burn and cut the connection(s) and might get useless.

My experiences on these ones, being an Engineer in electronics and mechanics, if it can help someone.

I still use both remotes, as I have kept an older Hero 8 as a kitecam, where more range is needed.

If you take a bit care, they can last quite long, and not that costly (not low cost either) so should be okay if one has to buy a new one eventually.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
taiguy (Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:21 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Tom Tom
Medium Poster

Postby Tom Tom » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:36 am

Just got a 12 plus The Remote so read this with interest. Even before reading this I was set upon protecting it somhow. No one simply putting it into something, like a condom for instance?..

taiguy
Medium Poster

Postby taiguy » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:22 pm

Just ordered a set of these to try out.

JOTO 2 Pack Waterproof Key FOB Holder Pouch

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:36 pm

I never had any luck with the remotes in water. Water seems to interfere with reliable performance. Perhaps a bag housing might improve the situation?

Return to “Kitesurfing”