Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish Pivot, Blade Trigger, Flysurfer Peak4 kites
RRD and Liquid Force boards
Slingshot Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

"Ring slider" depower?

Postby MartinO » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:05 pm

I remember seeing this type of depower setup a few years ago on the forum, but I don´t really know what it is called and if it turned out to be used or not. What´s the common word about what I would call something like "triple ring slider" depower systems? Does it work? Or has people left it behind and gone to the Kiss style spliced single line instead nowadays for minimalist but still trim-able systems? I am working on a lightweight foil kite/hydrofoil bar and gave the slider rings a try. It seems to work fine in on land testing atleast. It´s really a super easy build so it it would be kind of handy if it did work.

With triple ring slider I mean a system where you push the moving ring up for less power and pull it down for more. Like this:

Less power
Less power.JPG
More power
More power.JPG
Last edited by MartinO on Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: Ring slider depower?

Postby evan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:12 pm

We use it on our backline trim, tests showed it will slip around 50kg. More than enough for 2x backline and when is slips it depowers.

On the front lines you need to add more friction, otherwise it will power up when you are pushing a bit harder than beach flying. But it could be enough for you, you have to test it when riding. For customers it was not good enough to put on the front lines.

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:16 pm

MartinO wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:05 pm
What´s the common word about triple ring slider depower systems? Does it work? Or has people left it behind and gone to the Kiss style spliced single line instead nowadays for minimalist but still trim-able systems? I am working on a lightweight foil kite/hydrofoil bar and gave the slider rings a try. It seems to work fine in on land testing atleast. With triple ring slider I mean a system where you push the moving ring up for less power and pull it down for more. Like this:

Less power
Less power.JPG

More power
More power.JPG
Can you explain how this works?

MartinO
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: South Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Grönhögen, Sweden
Slingshot Hydrofoil

Postby MartinO » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:40 pm

evan wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:12 pm
We use it on our backline trim, tests showed it will slip around 50kg. More than enough for 2x backline and when is slips it depowers.

On the front lines you need to add more friction, otherwise it will power up when you are pushing a bit harder than beach flying. But it could be enough for you, you have to test it when riding. For customers it was not good enough to put on the front lines.
Ok, I tested it with hanging in a tree in the garden and then it didn´t slip then atleast, but I assume it would if it was more real world conditions with variations in load and more movement. I thought I would add an extra loose line from the upper ring down to the slider ring to secure it from powering up to oversheeting.

MartinO
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: South Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Grönhögen, Sweden
Slingshot Hydrofoil

Postby MartinO » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:01 pm

darippah wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:16 pm
MartinO wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:05 pm
What´s the common word about triple ring slider depower systems? Does it work? Or has people left it behind and gone to the Kiss style spliced single line instead nowadays for minimalist but still trim-able systems? I am working on a lightweight foil kite/hydrofoil bar and gave the slider rings a try. It seems to work fine in on land testing atleast. With triple ring slider I mean a system where you push the moving ring up for less power and pull it down for more. Like this:

Less power
Less power.JPG

More power
More power.JPG
Can you explain how this works?
Basically you move line from one inner loop to an outer loop with a three ring pulley system and thereby change the depower line length. The forces on the line kind of takes eachother out, but I guess not totally according to evans reply above.
Boom.png

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:43 pm

MartinO wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:01 pm
The forces on the line kind of takes eachother out, but I guess not totally according to evans reply above.
It relies on friction to stay in place, if you make the system with pulleys instead of sliders you would see that it takes no effort to pull it longer.

Making the friction too high and you can't trim it anymore, so it's a fine balance between too much and too little friction.

Zeeko had in on their bars in the past, but it seems to have been discontinued although the system itself is still for sale: http://zeeko-kites.com/gb/home/368-uds- ... e-bar.html

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Re: "Ring slider" depower?

Postby alford » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:06 pm

Tried a system based on the Zeeko. The good, no clamcleat is needed and no dangling depower line. Downside, it's ultimately more bulky and harder to adjust vs a simple single depower line and clamcleat. Not worth it imho.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Re: "Ring slider" depower?

Postby knotwindy » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:22 pm

Look up z-line on a climbing site, used to use it for lifting gear when you don’t have a long enough rope.

Return to “Kitesurfing”