Ozone Zephyr V6 17m

Airush Switch 145x44
Cabrinha Xcaliber 138x42
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Low wind body dragging

Postby ham-er » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:48 pm

Turbaani wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:56 pm
Like others mentioned above, and especially if you feel like drowning, check these:
-Harness stays down, not on ribs
-Little floatation like impact vest
-Don't use too much energy, just go side wind

Bodydragging doesn't need much energy, but if you do it wrong and panicky, ye then it can. At some point you will feel what is the max direction upwind you can go. Its not much. After that point if you point too high, you will lose momentum and start going straight downwind. Imagine you are a fin in water and keep a bit of momentum. Standing still, or almost still means you go downwind.
Harness riding up was my issue before, mainly for bad posture though.
Everything was nice and tight, but once in the water it needed tightening again. Got to the routine of doing it 5 minute into session.

Second part of drowning feeling was from exhaustion, yes need to work on my technique. I'm 90% sure I developed a habit of being too optimistic with my upwind angle.
Tomorrow I'm getting to the bottom of that (bodydragging, not the sea :lol: ), that's my plan :thumb:

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Low wind body dragging

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:20 am

My technic in ultimate light wind, lei or foilkite is to just simply swim directly up wind ! With a bit of energy it also helps to keep the kite in the air .
So , kite at zenith and you swim facing the wind... Frustrating becuse the kite does not help to anything but efficient.

Depending on your kite stability you can use from tile to time your both hands.

You can also swim on your back, hence keeping a constant eye on your kite, to keep ut at zenith with one hand when necessary
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
ham-er (Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:54 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”