How difficult is it to replace lines?

Forum for kitesurfers
lifeinthehood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 72 kg
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Freeride
Gear: BRM Cloud 2.8/3.7/4.8/6.2. Ocean Rodeo A-Roam 8m. Cloud CCS. Kanaha Shapes 42"/MFC 1000/200/92cm. Slingshot Hopecraft/PFH657/325/102cm.
Brand Affiliation: None

How difficult is it to replace lines?

Postby lifeinthehood » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:09 pm

I currently use a 2021 North Navigator bar. I like it a lot and North uses high quality SK99 Liros lines that looks still almost new despite having over 70 sessions on them. However, the one thing I wish I had was auto-untwist. I have the opportunity to get a Reedin Dreamstick X bar that is in very good condition for a reasonable price. I like the auto-untwist, but the thin diameter bar also felt really good in my hands. From what I've read, the only real downside to the bar is that they use Cousin MEL lines which I believe are NOT made from Dyneema. There are some complaints online about rapid wear of the lines. I'm not a heavy user (no big air for me) so I'm not sure if it would be a real concern to me. However, I would probably replace the lines at the end of this season with some SK99 Liros lines. I've never done this before and I'm wondering how difficult a process is it? How long does it take to do if I buy a line set. Do I need to do any splicing?

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Re: How difficult is it to replace lines?

Postby Breze » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:20 pm

Dyneema is a brand name of DSM. They sell the fibers to the line manufacturer Liros, Teufelberger, Cousin Trestec etc.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyneema ... ite_Fabric
Same material, but not branded:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-h ... lyethylene

Cousin has similiar lines with dyneema and unbranded
UHMP
The Reedin line Set is 140Eu
You can get also other lines from infexion and other.
With sets you don't have to splice, takes 0.5h
These users thanked the author Breze for the post:
lifeinthehood (Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:33 pm

If you buy a line set that already has the loops put in, it shouldn't take any more than about twenty minutes for a rank amateur.

But I have to admit, it's been a while since I bought a brand-new bar.

It almost seems as if the manufacturers try to jump through hoops to create gear that will become obsolete, or not worth the trouble, as quickly as possible.

But still, 20 minutes should be the absolute most it takes, if you just want to replace the flying lines, and if you have purchased an adequate replacement.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:

MartinO
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: South Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Grönhögen, Sweden
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish Pivot, Blade Trigger, Flysurfer Peak4 kites
RRD and Liquid Force boards
Slingshot Hydrofoil
Has thanked: 0

Postby MartinO » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:29 pm

It´s really easy, apart from maybe one thing.

That is to make sure that the flag-out works as it is supposed to do after the line change. It´s important that you get a line set where atleast one of the front lines have about the same loop size as you have on the flag-out line now (probably you need a thin splice loop which is the most common I think). That loop needs to fit into whatever the Dreamstick have in terms of line manager above the trim strap. It is typically a stopper ball or some kind of small unit that holds the flag-out line under load, but also lets it slide out if the safety is released. If you get a thick splice instead of a thin, it will either not fit or it can also jam the flagout. If the original is thick and you replace it with thin spliced loop, it might slip through and leave you with one of the front lines hanging in the safety line.

This is not hard either, but you will have to check how the new bar is configured and buy what you need, and not just order the first lineset you find on Ebay.
These users thanked the author MartinO for the post:

Return to “Kitesurfing”