Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 60kg
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: cheap kite suggestion

Postby Tartaruga » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:11 pm

Uhm. I saw some Gong new for 1400 1500 complete set, but I don't honestly know how it will be.
I am not concerned about performances as I know you can only go 1 or 2 times a week and it takes time to develop some skills; i am just worried about resale value..
I don't know if it's better to take a good kite (also used) now and use that for long or just spend 1000 euros for something sub performance and resell it later on

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:36 pm

It's a bit tricky when you are a beginner, but I would argue the best thing financially is to buy a well known used kite. Then you get the "used" discount and it is probably easier to sell later. If you spend some energy on it you can probably buy a 2 year old kite that you can sell for almost the same a year after.

For me that is too much hassle, but definitely possible. I have bought used kites for friends that they could have sold for the same amount at least 2 years after I bought them (two of them I got very lucky basically getting unused kites for less than 50% of the original cost).
Last edited by Havre on Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:54 pm

Havre wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:36 pm
It's a bit tricky when you are a beginner, but I would argue the best thing financially is to buy a well known used kite. Then you got the "used" discount and it is probably easier to sell later. If you spend some energy on it you can probably buy a 2 year old kite that you can sell for almost the same a year after.

For me that is too much hassle, but definitely possible. I have bought used kites for friends that they could have sold for the same amount at least 2 years after I bought them (two of them I got very lucky basically getting unused kites for less than 50% of the original cost).
I agree with that. That's what I usually do. Either I buy new kites from the year before at a big discount from a well known kite shop and from a major brands or I buy used kites from major brands that have been used only a few times and are like new.

Kites from lesser known brand may be good but they will be harder to sell they are often the same price a popular kites on sale and the popular kites are usually popular for a reason.

When you buy used gear it's always better if you can buy locally and see it in person pump it up. If the seller tells you it's only been used a few times and the fabric is still stiff and you don't see wear on the bridles and lines that's good. Beware lots of scams from long distance sellers with almost new kites for ridiculous prices.

esignoretti
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 79
Local Beach: Riccione (Italy)
Favorite Beaches: Sicily (lo Stagnone)
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-one bandit 7/8/20/12
Flysurfer soul 15
TT + sabfoil HF

Postby esignoretti » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:32 pm

Gong is not bad at all (I owned one single strut and it worked very well for the price + good construction quality ).
The only problem with it will be hard to sell later.

MartinO
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: South Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Grönhögen, Sweden
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish Pivot, Blade Trigger, Flysurfer Peak4 kites
RRD and Liquid Force boards
Slingshot Hydrofoil

Postby MartinO » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:59 pm

Every now and then you can find really good used kites that har 4-7 years old or so for 200-300 Euro with a bar that you can use for almost any kite. The problem is that you as a beginner cannot determine which these kites are in the flow of pretty worn out kites in that price range. But performance-wise, the improvements are REALLY small 2010-2019 or so (before the focus shifted to lighter materials) and you can easily kite with a ten year old kite today and have a total blast. The aging factor is sun, sand and salt exposure, hours of use/fluttering which all have been avoided with kites that haven´t seen much use. The only component of the kite that ages in a way that really matters even when resting in a garage is the valves, which is why it is seldom wise to buy a kite that is older than something like 6-7 years no matter how good it looks in terms of condition. If you have a friend that are into kiteboarding gear, or if you have spent hours and hours on forums and have an idea of what you want, you can make really good bargains on gear that have been sitting in someones basement for years.

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:59 pm

Decathlon has their own line of kites that are made by a pretty reputable company, and the prices are great. This would be my pick for cheap good kites, with the added bonus that in some countries they have 2 years warranty that replaces the kite if something goes wrong.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:27 pm

Tartaruga wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:30 pm
Hi all, i recently started kiting (just 6 lessons) and wanted to start riding also on my own.
Do you hve any suggestion on a used kite bar board and all without spending 1000 euro? or is it the minimum? :roll:
I weight 60 kg, I live in Italy
Where I leave I saw people using usually 9-12 kites
If you were a bit heavier , I'd just give you an Ozone Catalyst V1 15m ; but
your too light and could only use it in 10kt winds , and anything stronger
than 12kt, would be dangerous. Not good for a beginner !!

TT board
Your Italian ; you were born with those handy-man gens ; so go on the
Gear Builders forum here on KF , and type in plywood tt , to see what
you find. I'm only a 1/2 breed Italian ; but was able to build My first
TT from plywood , and it was easy.

viewforum.php?f=107

Bille

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:33 am

Tartaruga wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:30 pm
Hi all, i recently started kiting (just 6 lessons) and wanted to start riding also on my own.
Do you hve any suggestion on a used kite bar board and all without spending 1000 euro? or is it the minimum? :roll:
I weight 60 kg, I live in Italy
Where I leave I saw people using usually 9-12 kites
I think it is doable to get started for under EUR1000. But you need to get help from a kiter who can help you select gear so that you don't buy junk. There are usually facebook groups for second-hand gear (or other specific kite forums depending on the country) - find out what the best place is in Italy. You can also post directly on such groups and you might get some good offers - especially if you have a good reason to need to keep the budget low (e.g. you are a poor student etc). Many older kites are perfectly good for learning in my opinion, as long as they hold air. The main issue is the bar system which might not always have the standard safety system where releasing the kite pulls a single front line. For beginners I suspect that much older twintips (as much as 15 years with no problem) would work fine, and since you only weigh 60kg you can get older boards which were smaller (e.g. 39cm wide) than today's standard boards but will work fine for you. If you have modest skills and access to basic woodworking tools I'd even suggest making a plywood board for light wind use, but that is not a popular option these days...

Tartaruga
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 60kg
Gear: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tartaruga » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:20 am

I found a naish pivot + bar from 2016 for 500 euros

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Postby Archer77 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:27 am

Tartaruga wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:20 am
I found a naish pivot + bar from 2016 for 500 euros
it's a pretty fast kite to learn on, the colours are still vivid? if they are very washed out the kite have taken much sun... so could be worn out...

the pivot is a very good kite for intermediate to expert, also if I never tried the 2016 model

Return to “Kitesurfing”