Been thanked: 0

Re: cheap kite suggestion

Postby Tartaruga » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:37 am

Archer77 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:27 am
Tartaruga wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:20 am
I found a naish pivot + bar from 2016 for 500 euros
it's a pretty fast kite to learn on, the colours are still vivid? if they are very washed out the kite have taken much sun... so could be worn out...

the pivot is a very good kite for intermediate to expert, also if I never tried the 2016 model
No, they are definately washed out
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-08-09 123856.png
Screenshot 2022-08-09 123856.png (250.47 KiB) Viewed 1120 times

BenS
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 64
Local Beach: Hayling Island, UK.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Eleveight RS V4 (8/10/12)
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BenS » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:33 pm

Ventum sell complete sets (kite + bar + board) new for around €1,400.

* https://ventumkiteboarding.com/product-category/sets/

Tartaruga
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 60kg
Gear: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tartaruga » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:37 pm

BenS wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:33 pm
Ventum sell complete sets (kite + bar + board) new for around €1,400.

* https://ventumkiteboarding.com/product-category/sets/
are they good?

BenS
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 64
Local Beach: Hayling Island, UK.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Eleveight RS V4 (8/10/12)

Postby BenS » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:53 pm

Tartaruga wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:37 pm
are they good?
I don't have first hand experience so cannot comment reliably. There's an independent review on We Test Kites: Low cost excitement: the Ventum Xcite and Xplore

Another way of getting cheaper new gear is to buy last seasons or discounted models when manufacturers have recently introduced newer versions. You should be able to get 25-30% off the original retail price.
These users thanked the author BenS for the post:
rw30 (Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:28 am)
Rating: 3.03%

rw30
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 95
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, CapeVerde, FuerteV, Hel, Lady's Lake
Style: general freeride
Gear: Elev8 RS v7 14/10/8, SS SentryBar / SwitchController 5x, Best Spin TT 139cm / Duotone ProWhip 5'5''

Postby rw30 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:22 am

also, check switchkites, when they have discounts you can get stuff there quite cheap. They are ok, not as good as the top brands ofc. but not bad either, I still ride one of their models & like it a lot. Brand is on market for about the decade I think.

as a beginner, Element is the model you want to go for.
Last edited by rw30 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:00 pm

I don't know how the market is in Italy, but here in Norway my impression is that common kites like Evo, Enduro, Pivot, Switchblade etc. are much much easier to sell than anything "exotic". And low V is easier to sell than a high Y (not necessarily when it comes to the XR and new Evos - as they are so highly rated among "advanced" kiters).

If you tend to kite a lot and wear out your kite yourself (not resell). Then I wouldn't necessarily be against buying Gong, Ventum or any of the other cheaper brands. On the contrary I believe the "big" brands are expensive due to marketing hype and extremely expensive distribution. So value for money I would expect some of these lesser known brands to offer much more.

Peachez54
Rare Poster

Postby Peachez54 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:37 pm

I flew the newly released FLUID model, the AIR, 9m last week and it's performance truly amazed me...and I was ready to be very critical. I haven't had such a good session in some years as I did that day last week on the 9m AIR...it's so much fun that kite. It's Fluid's new 3-strut design and it's a stellar performing all-around kite. Steady, quick, light handling, easy manoeuvring, and boosts n' loops so well and does it all smoothly...I remain very impressed and want to kite EVEN MORE now...that can not only play, dance, and sing in the surf but also ride hard and go big and floaty. Did I mention the dreamy loops? (pussy loops, but so nice n' smooth and fun AF!)

Once my session was finished, I went straight away and ordered the Fluid AIR 12m. Should be arriving any day now. Great brand and excellent pre- and post-purchase service. Follow them on instagram for more details, etc. 3 year warranty too!! Also, Fluid's control bar great IMO, simple and clean, and more importantly the lines are some of the most robust you'll find on any control bar. Really liking the bar/lines too I must admit. Great kit.
If you like a more grunty kite - 5-strut higher-aspect and super-rigid airframe (hardcore) the SKY model by Fluid will not disappoint (sorta similar to Blowzone Edge style of kite). I've been flying them for a year and they are excellent as well...just not playful enough for how I like to kite but offer radical (too radical for ol' me) airtime and power output. Furthermore, the build quality on is some of the best I've ever seen throughout my many years of kiting (~23). The owner/operator/designer/5-star line-smith, Gilion Goveia has an amazing thing going and I hope to see great success as it is well deserved IMHO.
These users thanked the author Peachez54 for the post:
windsuks (Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:58 pm)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:12 pm

Second hand is a goid idea for beginner. To me , no need to spend more than 300 euros per kite atcthe start and if you have some friend to avoid buying kite in poor status.

Single struts are very easy and intuitive, often cheap (if you are not over 80kg)

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:08 pm

Just stay away from kites that are dirt cheap and their only feature is "ideal for learning" cause sometimes are outdated kites that doesn't perform well compared to nowadays standards. Look for freeride kites suited to begginers and you should do fine.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:16 am

BenS wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:53 pm
Tartaruga wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:37 pm
are they good?
I don't have first hand experience so cannot comment reliably. There's an independent review on We Test Kites: Low cost excitement: the Ventum Xcite and Xplore

Another way of getting cheaper new gear is to buy last seasons or discounted models when manufacturers have recently introduced newer versions. You should be able to get 25-30% off the original retail price.
Ventum kites are great they perform very well and are rock solid. They are also very durable (not following the lightweight trend) you have 2 types on freeride (like evo etc) and one big air/loop (like dice etc). The owner (Dutch) is very close to his brand and always helps you out. Costs are crazy low compared to the big brands. Got a full quiver of the Xcites and enjoying them since.

Fluid is also a Dutch brand. The owner is very close to the business too arranging kite trips/helping people with new lines-bar setups / has his own line of wetsuits and accessories and builds his own boards and kites. Also he manages to keep the prices low and is more or less in the same line with Ventum making durable good flying kites.

Both of the guys are very approachable and always there to help you out. No hassle service and guarantees, simply you can't go wrong with either of them.

Long story short...if it ain't Dutch it ain't much ;)
These users thanked the author Kitemenn for the post:
Peachez54 (Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:19 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”