Gear: 2019 Slingshot Rally 6m
2022 North Orbit 8m
2022 North Orbit 10m
2022 North Orbit 12m

Re: Choosing the right kite

Postby Face_NickJr » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:50 pm

RRC1962 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:17 am

In todays situation, I sized for the lower winds. Winds were side on-shore so I was drifting towards the beach where the average beach goer doesn't have the sense to stay away from kiteboarders, so when I found myself heading toward the beach at rather high speed, then getting lifted, I punched out. I actually had kids swim between me and my kite while trying to launch while parents just watched them do it. Can't wait for school to start back up.
You do NOT pull this type of shit in Dewey or any of the Chesapeake Bay launches...the locals will come for your kite lines with scissors...It's your responsibility and no one else's to mind your distance.

I guarantee you won't post this on the local eastKB forum....they'll be coming for you with pitchforks in no time.

RRC1962
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 240
Local Beach: Dewey Beach, DE
Favorite Beaches: Rehoboth, DE. Outer Banks, NC.
Style: Freeride, mow the grass
Gear: Cabrinha Contra 17, Moto 14, Litewave Wing 165, Slingshot Hover Glide foil on a WF-2 board, Mystic Driver Seat Harness.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RRC1962 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:18 am

I do maintain my distance. That's why I ejected and packed up when people got too close. No one was ever in any danger. I'm not the only one this sort of thing has happened to. It's not like I'm out there purposely kiting around people. I would never launch with people near me or the kite. Sorry if it came across that way. When I got lifter and ejected I was not near people. When the kid got too close I was waiting for wind with the kite in the water. After 10 or 15 minutes, between me moving away and the kid and parent moving away, it was safe to try a launch again. Aside from not flying that day, how could I have handled it better?

If I must kite on weekends, I'm usually boat launching or finding a deserted sandbar.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:43 pm

RRC1962 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:17 am
Rigged my 17 Contra
Wind picks up to 20-ish and I find myself overpowered
This is the first time I've ever used the QR while riding
My plan was to steer the kite up, bar out and edge upwind, but when I did that, the kite lifted me out of the water so I punched out.
Just wasn't able to edge hard enough with all the lift from the kite riding high in the window.
Right there you said it
Steering the kite up was the first no no
You steer kite downward to prevent possible lifting

The kite lifted you because you kept holding on to the bar....so second no no ...at the first moment of about to lift...you let go completely the bar
We are not sure if you had your depower system pulled in all the way...which would have helped
It is pretty difficult ...to be lifted if the kite is only being pulled by the front lines...bar is let go & steering lines adjusted for maximum slack
Punching out like you say could have been avoided in this case

If the wind was that strong possibly 25 mph ++ trying to edge hard is a bad solution especially with kite high in window
Better to slow your ass down in the water with board in front of you
Bring the kite all the way down to the water on its wingtip
Keep one hand extended holding upper bar and one hand grasping the QR ready just in case
Let the high wind do it's thing because it might pass

Now before the wind picked to to 20-ish did you see/ ear signs that a thunderstorm/ squall was approaching from anywhere ?
In summer a sudden wind increase can happen when weather change is on the way
Often there is not much time to pack up and take cover

Keep having fun
Keep safe
Keep all beachgoers safe too

:surf:
These users thanked the author PullStrings for the post:
ham-er (Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:00 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”